Best Gatekeepers of all time in MMA

Dennis Kang
Brandon Vera
Krysztof Soszynski

The coolest part about Guida is he tried mma out on a dare and ended up being good. I heard he was like a carpenter before his mma career.

Clay Guida
1.gif

1.gif

What an absolute DAWG

I was, of course, thinking of Donald Corrone's loss this weekend...
Mine:
Matt Brown
Ryan Bader
Mark Hunt
Chad Mendez
Nate Diaz

Derek Brunson
Carlos Condit

Cowboy Cerrone, Ryan Bader, Mark Hunt, Chad Mendes, Nate Diaz and Carlos Condit have all been Title Contenders...

Thus, they are NOT Gatekeepers

Gatekeepers are the fighters who LOST to ^these guys^

Last edited:
Gatekeepers are guys like...

Jim Miller... who has had a full career and was never a Title Contender.

Edson Barboza... has not been a Title Contender, has served as a Gatekeeper, but he still has the potential to become a Title Contender.

Cowboy Cerrone, Ryan Bader, Mark Hunt, Chad Mendes, Nate Diaz and Carlos Condit have all been Title Contenders...

Nah gate keeper to me is a high level fighter but struggled with the top 3. Lamas is a perfect example, he can beat everyone but Aldo, Holloway and Frankie, but sends new contenders packing, like Jason Knight. Magny is another one, you win a few fights at WW and look good chances are you will come up against him. Beat him and you prove you're top 5 ready.

Nah gate keeper to me is a high level fighter but struggled with the top 3. Lamas is a perfect example, he can beat everyone but Aldo, Holloway and Frankie, but sends new contenders packing, like Jason Knight. Magny is another one, you win a few fights at WW and look good chances are you will come up against him. Beat him and you prove you're top 5 ready.

The "gate" that Gatekeepers defend is the gate to Title Contention.
That's the entire premise of the concept of Gatekeeper.

If you can't get passed *this guy* you are not ready to fight/contend for the TITLE.

It has existed for decades. Combat sports n00bs have all kinds of dopey definitions... this thread is a great example.

Ah... an actual reasonable reply in this thread...

Hw: roy nelson, browne
Lhw: bader, osp
Mw: boetsch and pre belt bisping
Ww: magny, ellenberger
Lw: tibau, guida, green
Fw: swanson, lamas
Bw: mizugaki, wineland, pickett
Fw: smolka

Gatekeepers are the fighters who LOST to ^these guys^

You can be a title contender and still be a gatekeeper.

Nate Diaz is definitely a gatekeeper.

If you can't get passed *this guy* you are not ready to fight/contend for the TITLE.

It has existed for decades. Combat sports n00bs have all kinds of dopey definitions... this thread is a great example.

That would make sense if the fights were always based on rankings.... but they clearly aren't.

If title contention was based solely on rankings then Michael Bisping never would have got the title shot.for example. And he certainly wouldn't have defended against the #13 ranked Henderson instead of Yoel.

<<<<<<< Kongo was an excellent gatekeeper I literally think of him when I hear the word, even though he's not in the UFC anymore.

Shit thread. Op doesnt know what a gatekeeper is.

Condit is a former champ, Bader was in line to fight DC for the title.

Just dumb.

These ' who is the best journeyman/gatekeeper/tomato can etc threads are always painful. Seen a few posters here refer to Eddie Alvarez as a 'club fighter'

You can be a title contender and still be a gatekeeper.

Nate Diaz is definitely a gatekeeper.
If you actually get the Title shot, then YOU made it THROUGH THE GATE... the fighter you defeated to get there was the Gakekeeper.

Though I won't say there aren't exceptions.

(((DODGERS HOMERUN!)))

Former Champions and former Contenders who might be past their prime)can serve that role too, but they are Champions and Contenders from a career perspective.

Back