Its a Maia can't take anyone down episode

mcdowels

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
he had his day, everyone has figured him out now and he should retire

here is someone worth watching:

1489997390972.jpg

that must be one hell of a snatch shot from the other side.

I've been saying it forever and everyone on this site has trashed me (cause Maia was winning a bunch of fights and was the GOAT apparently).

The guy has junior varsity takedowns. His actual form is good but his set ups are amateurish at best. He stands from arms distance away and just shoots in hoping that he's fast enough to get a solid penetration in. No set ups, fakes, or stutter steps.

Once he faced stiff wrestlers like TWood and Colby, that shit don't work anymore.

I've been saying it forever and everyone on this site has trashed me (cause Maia was winning a bunch of fights and was the GOAT apparently).

The guy has junior varsity takedowns. His actual form is good but his set ups are amateurish at best. He stands from arms distance away and just shoots in hoping that he's fast enough to get a solid penetration in. No set ups, fakes, or stutter steps.

Once he faced stiff wrestlers like TWood and Colby, that shit don't work anymore.
i couldnt agree more man. i love maia but his takedown attempts are so fucking terrible it mystifies me how he ever gets anyone down. i obviously know jack shit about anything, but they have always looked TERRIBLE to me. im amazed its not talked about more.

I think he should have trained some Ryan Hall style leg lock set ups in case the TD's failed.
His stand up looked way better than usual for a round though. Gotta give him that.

I’ve been calling this for a while too. When he can’t get the first few td’s he completely stops setting them up and then gets them stuffed even more and gasses himself out. Hes good when he can get it but he’s lost to all the elite guys he’s faced (Anderson, weidman, the great, Rory, shields, Woodley) and now even Covington. Masvidal should’ve Best him too but was too aggressive.

This isn’t a shit on Maia post because I think it’s awesome what he’s been able to do in his career, but for a while everyone thought he was unstoppable when he was on his streak, and I didn’t see him getting the belt.

I wouldn't say he has "junior varsity" level takedowns. The only guys he could not take down in the last few years were Woodley and Covington, two All American wrestlers.

One thing i noticed last night, and it is probably only because he was so tired from the high pace, that he doesn't continue to chain wrestle once his opponent sprawls out. When somebody sprawls out, you have to re-shoot, or sit out and poke your head to the outside and plant one of your feet to turn the corner and drive into him at an angle.

None of that probably would have worked on Colby anyway, because he is a great wrestler. It just sucked seeing him fail on a shot and then just sit there in turtle taking damage.

There was one time where i thought Demian was setting up his single leg from half guard but Colby bailed out of that fast.

It really sucks because Maia was landing some nice left hands in the first round. He said in the post-fight press conference he should have continued to box in round 2 because all the takedown attempts drained his energy.

I also wish Maia would have checked some of those low kicks. Maia seemed to improve his boxing but he probably did not expect Colby to come out throwing so many kicks.

I am angry that Maia lost but it was a very good fight and I can't wait to see who Colby faces next.

Maia has always been terrible. He can't fight, can only grapple if it hits the ground and if the ref doesn't stand them up when he can't sink anything in for over 4 minutes.

Haven't seen the Colby fight yet, didn't even know it was on. But I hope he retires due to boring avoidance or comes back for 1 more face beating, either way is fine.

Maia has always been terrible. He can't fight, can only grapple if it hits the ground and if the ref doesn't stand them up when he can't sink anything in for over 4 minutes.

Haven't seen the Colby fight yet, didn't even know it was on. But I hope he retires due to boring avoidance or comes back for 1 more face beating, either way is fine.
dude watch the first round. k-1 maia bro

HTTPS9tZWRpYS5naXBoeS5jb20vbWVkaWEvYzlJRHNSNW9vcXZXOC9naXBoeS5naWYlog.gif

He has phenomenal wrestling compared to a guy like Brian Ortega yet half of Sherdog doesn't get that stylistically Ortega will have all kinds of problems reaching the top or staying there.Really depends on match ups if someone has shit wrestling and mediocre striking.Woodley and Colby were able to exploit that with Maia and I think Cub will exploit that with Ortega who doesn't even bother trying for td's his wrestling is so bad.

I think he should have trained some Ryan Hall style leg lock set ups in case the TD's failed.
His stand up looked way better than usual for a round though. Gotta give him that.

My thoughts exactly

The Monday morning quarterbacks are out in full force with criticism

Maia needs to cash in now and do some JanSport commercials while he is still a hot commodity! The kid is a natural I tell you!

6F5F6DCB-1268-4A16-8DD6-7E0B63DA9F51.gif

I cant believe Maia is still this one dimensional after 2 decades of competition.

I agree with what you say, but this is what was exciting about him. What happens if he has a hard time or unable to take down his opponent??

yeah, not disagreeing with anything you say, but remember that throw he hit on sonnen? in hindsight that's even more incredible. the fight against rory really showed him not just shooting bad tds, but so desperate to get the td that he wasn't even trying to set them up.

I agree with what you say, but this is what was exciting about him. What happens if he has a hard time or unable to take down his opponent??
Well, he won the first round on the feet. unfortunately, in the process he gassed himself out and basically ensuring he wouldn't have enough energy to get Colby to the ground in the second. Not sure what his gameplan was there.
Another takeaway tho is that Colby's standup is shaky at best. Match him up with a hard hitter, like lawler, and he's going to sleep. I suspect this fight was the peak of Colby. He's not getting that belt.

maia much like leites and palharres is suspect to wrestler they cant take down they have no answer for it on the ground though theyyll fuk you up

Back