What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn I really liked the guy in light blue. The only problem I see with him is his rear foot being a little behind thus making his right hand a bit short. Otherwise top technique.

Yeah, that's Rocco. He's athletic, good power, physically strong. But his body was so stiff when we met it was ridiculous. The "back foot in a bucket" syndrome is a remnant of that stiffness, with very little hip flexibility it's difficult for him to close his knees the way a punch needs to rotate in the head of the moment, so instead he lunges a bit.

That's something a lot of trainers just let their fighters get away with and give them a defensive measure to cover the flaw, like say, rolling-through after the right hand. But why should they have to do that EVERY time just because they're out of position?

Instead we're working to fix it. Rocco is also much better than he gives himself credit for, on the right days he gives guys like Daijon problems:

This video of one of my students sparring a kid from TMT has over 25,000 views on Instagram:

This video of one of my students sparring a kid from TMT has over 25,000 views on Instagram:

Both lads seem to love the lead hook into right straight and the both of them work real well with multiple shots off the left hand changing levels and angles. Which one is your student?

is there anything in particular you had him working on in this session or was it more just a chance to be in there with a guy from TMT?

I don't give a fuck about the dude being from TMT, particularly.

We've been working on many aspects of his inside game, because for being a shorter fighter, he would always end up at mid-range and get hit. We are working on his ability to stay close and get things done as well as defense.

I have quite a bit of news since last I posted here, but for now, this is new:

The tall dude is Shaun, another fighter I trained for a while, but he's back in Uganda now. Here's another couple of vids:

The tall dude is Shaun, another fighter I trained for a while, but he's back in Uganda now. Here's another couple of vids:

i also have it on good authority there’s a sherdogger in that highlight video who hassled sinisters grapes about boxing for years before FINALLY making the trip down there for some tutoring

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Things have gotten really crazy busy for me. Some of you have kept up with stuff through Facebook and Youtube, I'm sure. We've hit some snags since I changed the way I train, my high-level fighters had some time adjusting to a more team-oriented style that mimics the Cuban and Russian systems. Some of them felt neglected when really it's as if they were being promoted. For the most part that's been sorted out, and then we hit a decent stride right around the last quarter of the year. Joseph has been doing really well, but I'll update his thread with that.

Most of my Elite (or Open Class for under 19) went to Arizona for the Gene Lewis tournament. 6 total. We came back with 3 belts. Last year I had 4 Champions but 2 were unopposed, so they didn't have to fight. So 3 Champions who won bouts is a step up the way I see it. Joseph won, and two new fighters I have. My Light Heavyweight Karam Abdallah (Cousin of Amer Abdallah):

And my 18 year-old Heavyweight Novice MarcAnthony Miranda:

Karam was recently hired as a sparring partner for Super-Middleweight Contender Caleb Plant, who has a February bout against Rogelio "Porky" Medina. Caleb's trainer likes to bring him to our Gym for sparring due to the quality of work. This little video is from last time he was here (the sparring partner whose white is a Canadian Light Heavyweight Amateur I work with who came down specifically for that Camp):

I'm also bringing over Alexander Hagen from Norway next month to train him for his next fight and to work with Caleb, and a high-level Amateur from there is coming with him. I'm kinda informally in charge of gathering the chief sparring partners for Caleb.

As of right now I have 2 competition teams. Elite/Open-level fighters, and I'm beginning a Youth team probably in March. I finally have a dependable squad of kids under 18. But I will also have an Intermediate Team by the end of it. Over 18 but less than 10 fights. Just today, one of my Elite 165lb'ers (Za-Quan Peterkin) sparred Shakhram Giyasov, who is the #1 ranked 152lb Amateur in the World:

272209-2593dd57d0087e9b2a17fd8a4c2c5185.jpg

For those of you who don't know who he is:

I'm sure there's some stuff I'm forgetting to mention but yeah, A LOT of good things happening down at Tocco's. Nevada Golden Gloves are coming up and I have like 7 fighters competing in that, and then there's Western Qualifiers in March in Albuquerque, and I'm going to have about 9 or 10 fighters there. The smaller tournaments later in the year I'll likely have more. I'm talking 15-20 fighters.

This is a video made recently of my Son. He'll be 5 in July and has been boxing since he was 7 months old. Punching earlier than that but that's when it started to be very distinguishable that he was trying to copy what he sees:

I have another one, too. The little brother:

The little one hasn't been in the gym as much as the big one. But the moment he had gloves on he swung on his Brother.

What's interesting about them is their personalities. We can already tell that if Sal is going to box, he's going to be the slickster, the stylist. He likes to box and workout because it gets him attention and he has a ton of energy. The little one, he's just going to be a bulldog, a scrapper. He's just plain mean. They've also never been TAUGHT how to do anything. I didn't like the idea of people thinking I make them do this. Sal has had a tiny bit of very basic instruction, but most of it is observation. He was playing around once and I mentioned that he had been playing around with boxing for a long time, then I said that you couldn't really tell because he has no distinct form. Then my fighter Za-Quan said: "Yes you can, his punches are straighter than mine."

As some of you may know, Caleb won his fight with Medina. Here's some sparring HL's featuring yours truly:

Karam (chief sparring partner) is competing in the Western Qualifiers in Albuquerque which is March 4th-10th.

Here's HL's from the fight:

This is a video made recently of my Son. He'll be 5 in July and has been boxing since he was 7 months old. Punching earlier than that but that's when it started to be very distinguishable that he was trying to copy what he sees:

I have another one, too. The little brother:

The little one hasn't been in the gym as much as the big one. But the moment he had gloves on he swung on his Brother.

What's interesting about them is their personalities. We can already tell that if Sal is going to box, he's going to be the slickster, the stylist. He likes to box and workout because it gets him attention and he has a ton of energy. The little one, he's just going to be a bulldog, a scrapper. He's just plain mean. They've also never been TAUGHT how to do anything. I didn't like the idea of people thinking I make them do this. Sal has had a tiny bit of very basic instruction, but most of it is observation. He was playing around once and I mentioned that he had been playing around with boxing for a long time, then I said that you couldn't really tell because he has no distinct form. Then my fighter Za-Quan said: "Yes you can, his punches are straighter than mine."

Man this is the cutiest thing I have seen :)

My whole elite / open team is at the Western Qualifier in Albuquerque. If anyone wants to watch the livestream, we're up in about 30 mins in ring 2. Matthew Quintero is my fighter. Our gym also has Chris Harris Jr. Who will be in ring 3, bout 10. Here's the page with the stream links:

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-boxing/2018-western-qualifier

Spirited fight by the two girls in ring 2! Pretty gutsy.

Tough fight! Interesting how your guy kept switching between southpaw and ortho, is he ambidextrous? Looked pretty good in the first half of the third when he started to move around the ring, take angles and counter. It was unfortunate that he got caught.

Btw, was it just me or was the ref really annoying? Kept interjecting himself constantly, even when it wasn't warrented, and that first 10 count was a bit hasty wouldn't you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back