Canadian whites under fire for refusing to more to the back of a concert

clmetal

Iced Earth
@Gold
Reaction score
Can't make this stuff up!

The Halifax Pop Explosion music festival is apologizing for the actions of a volunteer who interrupted a performance by Polaris Prize-winning singer Lido Pimienta with “overt racism.”

A statement on behalf of the festival’s board of directors addresses the singer directly and promises to make changes to improve “anti-oppression and anti-racism training” over the next year.

The Halifax festival says the incident involved a white volunteer photographer and several white audience members who reacted negatively when Pimienta invited “brown girls to the front” during her Oct. 19 show.

The outspoken singer, who took home the Polaris Prize for her album “La Papessa” last month, frequently asks her audience to welcome people of colour to the front of the stage. In turn, she requests that white people move back.

O’Manique says the problems started when the volunteer female photographer refused to step away from her spot near the front. It led to a clash with nearby audience members who became angered over her insistence on remaining near the stage to take photos, says O’Manique, who performs as dream-pop act Trails and shares management with Pimienta.

“She just kept saying, ‘Move to the back,”‘ says O’Manique

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada...s-for-overt-racism-at-polaris-winners-concert

Dear attendees, fans, artists, staff, volunteers, and folks otherwise involved in the Halifax Pop Explosion. On Thursday, October 19 at the Marquee Club, a white HPX volunteer along with several other white people in the audience reacted to Lido Pimienta inviting “brown girls to the front” of the venue with overt racism. This volunteer was removed by Lido herself. They have since received notification from the festival that they are no longer welcome to volunteer with us.

We will not accept this behaviour and neither should you. Be responsible for your friends - talk to them and support them as they move towards unpacking their racism. People of Colour deserve safe spaces and it is your responsibility to help. It is also ours.

To Lido Pimienta: we are sorry that one of our volunteers interrupted your art, your show, and your audience by being aggressive and racist. We have so much respect for the art and music you create and the space you make for women, people of colour, transgender, and non-binary people. The way you interact with the world acts and provides a thoughtful example. You are a role model to us and many people in our community. We see it. We feel it. We hope you will work with us again.

To the POC in the audience on Thursday night: we are sorry your night was interrupted, and perhaps ruined, by one of our volunteers. We are going to try our best as a festival to create ways to make our spaces safer and more accessible for you. We hope we can rebuild some trust and that you will come back to our shows.

Seems like it was resolved appropriately. The artist removed the individual and the concert supported the artist's action and distanced themselves from the individual.

What am I missing here?

Seems like it was resolved appropriately. The artist removed the individual and the concert supported the artist's action and distanced themselves from the individual.

What am I missing here?
That she didn’t invite black girls to the front, only brown...

<seedat>

It's not the racism that's disturbing, that's pretty normal in our multicultural paradise, it's the fact it's so brazen and open. I just read a story about a Penn teacher who tweeted out that she discriminates against white men. It's like they're proud of it.

Last edited:
Kind of a weird thing to be up in arms about considering the chick is a walking SJW caricature. So, submissive sjw whitey fans of hers should know what to expect and feel great shame for being in the front, looking at her in the eyes, existing etc.

Just read her interview with billboard:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...eaks-halifax-pop-explosion-racism-controversy

Lido Pimienta: I started asking men specifically to go to the back of the room because in my 15+ years of attending shows, both on stage and in the audience, men make it unsafe for me to be in such spaces.

From the audience’s point of view, [men] for the most part will not think twice before they put themselves right in front of you. I am a short woman, so I always have to show up very early to be able to enjoy the music, to see the acts... From the stage point of view, I noticed how most men who plant themselves at the front, they tend to overpower ME. Their presence usually at my own show is a threatening one and I have had men grab me, grab my hands, grab my waist, scream "TE AMO MAMACITA." My show is all about high energy and high feminine power, so I can see for some men, my energy reads "sexual" and they feel like my show is FOR THEM, when in fact, my show if anything, is for WOMXN.

When I started asking womxn to the front, I noticed how white women were usually at the front and brown girls would be behind the white girls, a bit more shy, a bit more restrained. Even at HPX, I had to call out a few black girls who were "too shocked" and felt I was "putting them on the spot" by saying, "Girl come to the front! This is for you!" As an immigrant, as an Afro-Indigenous person, as an intersectional feminist, as a mother and all of the other signifiers that qualify me as "other," I understand what it is like to not see yourself in the media, to not see yourself in institutions and to not see yourself represented or reflected at a music show, because the "artist of colour" (and I put that in quotation marks because even that term is extremely problematic), we don’t get to see each other at that level.

My being on stage in an otherwise mainly white folk artist bill, in Nova Scotia, a province famous for the segregation and mistreatment of African Nova Scotians, was not meant to be an act of HATE AGAINST WHITE PEOPLE. It was meant, as it has always been to me, [as] an act of love for the children of these African Nova Scotians, the children of Somalian refugees who ended up somehow in Halifax, and for the children of the many immigrant and migrant folks who, just like my mother, one day arrived in Canada with a specific narrative but the same story of "hoping for a better future." But still for us, the children of these immigrants, it is still quite strange, the act of enjoying ourselves uninterrupted by a white person who feels threatened by our presence.

This is why I do what I do, because I understand the feeling of oppression and exclusion. I never asked white folks to leave my show, I would never do that. I never ask men to leave my show, I ask them to share the space in a more significant manner as an act of love and solidarity with people who, outside of the music show bubble, have to constantly justify their existence to the world.

"All black people need to move to the back of the venue..."

Yeah, that would end well.

<36>

What am I missing here?

the person asked to move was an accredited festival volunteer photographer

What am I missing here?

I wouldn't call publicly shaming someone by calling them a racist because they don't want to move to the back of the concert an appropriate way to resolve or handle the situation but whatever.

so she was taking pics for the event?

and by doing her job she was being overtly racist?

what in the literal f?

Canada, just stop

What am I missing here?

Imo It doesn't seem right. The singer told all of the brown girls to move to the front forcing all of the white people to get to the back.

It rightfully pissed some people off, because they are being told to go stand in the back of the audience in a shittier spot because you're white

The Lady that was a photographer and was trying to do her job. The singer got shitty about it and kicked her out.

The concert organizers then tweet out some BS apologizing on be half of the white people, because they (The white people) were being racist.

I know I would be pissed if I was upfront on the floor of a concert that I paid for and some cunt told me to get to the back because I was white.

Last edited:
the person asked to move was an accredited festival volunteer photographer

Who was removed by the artist and the concert distanced themselves from them. What issue remains unresolved here?

Kind of a weird thing to be up in arms about considering the chick is a walking SJW caricature. So, submissive sjw whitey fans of hers should know what to expect and feel great shame for being in the front, looking at her in the eyes, existing etc.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...eaks-halifax-pop-explosion-racism-controversy

Lido Pimienta: I started asking men specifically to go to the back of the room because in my 15+ years of attending shows, both on stage and in the audience, men make it unsafe for me to be in such spaces.

From the audience’s point of view, [men] for the most part will not think twice before they put themselves right in front of you. I am a short woman, so I always have to show up very early to be able to enjoy the music, to see the acts... From the stage point of view, I noticed how most men who plant themselves at the front, they tend to overpower ME. Their presence usually at my own show is a threatening one and I have had men grab me, grab my hands, grab my waist, scream "TE AMO MAMACITA." My show is all about high energy and high feminine power, so I can see for some men, my energy reads "sexual" and they feel like my show is FOR THEM, when in fact, my show if anything, is for WOMXN.

When I started asking womxn to the front, I noticed how white women were usually at the front and brown girls would be behind the white girls, a bit more shy, a bit more restrained. Even at HPX, I had to call out a few black girls who were "too shocked" and felt I was "putting them on the spot" by saying, "Girl come to the front! This is for you!" As an immigrant, as an Afro-Indigenous person, as an intersectional feminist, as a mother and all of the other signifiers that qualify me as "other," I understand what it is like to not see yourself in the media, to not see yourself in institutions and to not see yourself represented or reflected at a music show, because the "artist of colour" (and I put that in quotation marks because even that term is extremely problematic), we don’t get to see each other at that level.

My being on stage in an otherwise mainly white folk artist bill, in Nova Scotia, a province famous for the segregation and mistreatment of African Nova Scotians, was not meant to be an act of HATE AGAINST WHITE PEOPLE. It was meant, as it has always been to me, [as] an act of love for the children of these African Nova Scotians, the children of Somalian refugees who ended up somehow in Halifax, and for the children of the many immigrant and migrant folks who, just like my mother, one day arrived in Canada with a specific narrative but the same story of "hoping for a better future." But still for us, the children of these immigrants, it is still quite strange, the act of enjoying ourselves uninterrupted by a white person who feels threatened by our presence.

This is why I do what I do, because I understand the feeling of oppression and exclusion. I never asked white folks to leave my show, I would never do that. I never ask men to leave my show, I ask them to share the space in a more significant manner as an act of love and solidarity with people who, outside of the music show bubble, have to constantly justify their existence to the world.

Yeah, she's not holding one group down, she's lifting one group up.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. She's actively discriminating based on nothing but skin color and sees nothing wrong with it, on the contrary, she goes to great lengths to explain why it's okay.

An intersectional Feminist, well then that makes sense.

the only racist person here is the Singer, period.

Since when can a singer (that nobody I know has ever heard of) make demands that literally change the demographics of the crowd, and then kick you out if you don't like it?

It's 2017, correct?

Who was removed by the artist and the concert distanced themselves from them. What issue remains unresolved here?

that they were asked to move solely because of the colour of their skin?

Yeah, she's not holding one group down, she's lifting one group up.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. She's actively discriminating based on nothing but skin color and sees nothing wrong with it, on the contrary, she goes to great lengths to explain why it's okay.

Meh, seems like her fan base eats it up in jubilant glee. They are like GWAR fans awaiting to be splattered in fake blood -- just in this case they wait for her to douse them in the white guilt and SJW rhetoric that they crave.

This was a music festival though I'm sure there were alot of people in the audience that were unfamiliar with her.

It's not the racism that's disturbing, that's pretty normal in our multicultural paradise, it's the fact it's so brazen and open. I just read a story about a Penn teacher who tweeted out that she discriminates against white men. It's like they're proud of it.

I believe the discrimination was her calling on minority students more to participate in class

Back