Athletes who hung on too long...

TankAbbott

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/sports/football/jim-brown-80s-comeback/

I recently wrote a piece on Jim Brown's feud with Franco Harris. Harris was on the verge of besting Brown's NFL career rushing record, and Brown was not pleased by Harris' meek running style. Brown went so far as to lobby to be allowed to play for the Raiders. Eventually, he and Harris ended up competing in a four event competition which aired in syndication on Super Bowl weekend of 1985.

Other notables:
Reggie White - I'll never forget the image of White as a Panther, being passed up during running drills by the massive Sean Gilbert.
Lyle Alonzo - A comeback attempt at 40 went badly.
Johnny Unitas as a Charger.
Joe Namath trotting out as a Ram for 4 games.
Brett Favre's final year in Minnesota, where he ended his ironman career by being pummeled into a mass of rubble, never to take another snap.

Who do you have to add?
Several boxers and MMA fighters definitely belong in this category.

Off the top of my head:
Owen Hart
Arturo Gatti

Cris Collinsworth should have been put out of our collective misery years ago.

I remember that year in LA where old Kirk Gibson was so injured and run down that he could barely make it around the bases.

BJ Penn
Michael Jordan
Roy jones Jr.

Jaromir Jagr, and lots of hockey players stay late
Wasn't Jagr still playing at a decent level though? Obviously not near what he once was back in the late 90s early 2000s but still he was turning in good performances.

quite frankly, we all could have done w/o the MJ era wizards

not a real sport but Chuck Liddell should've quit after Rampage killed him

Wasn't Jagr still playing at a decent level though? Obviously not near what he once was back in the late 90s early 2000s but still he was turning in good performances.
Yeah, he's playing well still, he's a fucking anomaly. Same with Bernard Hopkins

I was about to make a super fucked up joke about Owen Hart and "holding on"....

Decided against it.

Back