Ravens Flock: "RETURN OF THE OFFENSE" 2019 edition

Ravens 40-0 Dolphins
Season: 4-4

Good game. I liked what I saw from Marlon Humphrey again every time I saw him. I think it was a big deal that Skura came back at guard for the run game bc the dolphins were top 5 against the run but Collins and Allen were both great, esp. Collins. Little bit worried about Ronnie Stanley's shoulder injury and obviously Flacco's concussion.

I didn't see Jaylen Hill on screen much at all, which disappointed me.

Not much else to say, good win.

Whooo! That was fun, other than Alonso's bitch made bullshit.

Brandon Williams makes all the difference in the world up front. Webb still scares the hell out of me in coverage, but he's great when they bring him up against the run and on the blitz. That Mosley pick 6 was insane. Offense was still too predictable, even before the Flacco injury, but Collins and Allen were so great with the ball (minus a fumble each down at the goal line, that's gotta stop) it didn't matter.

Brandon Williams makes all the difference in the world up front. Webb still scares the hell out of me in coverage, but he's great when they bring him up against the run and on the blitz. That Mosley pick 6 was insane. Offense was still too predictable, even before the Flacco injury, but Collins and Allen were so great with the ball (minus a fumble each down at the goal line, that's gotta stop) it didn't matter.

Matt Skura (RG) was in for the Oakland win (good offensive game) and out vs. the Bears and the Vikings (terrible offensive games w/ Jermaine Eluemenor in at RG).

I don't think it's too much to say that having the 2nd-string guard is that much of an improvement over a 5th round rookie, long-term project, 3rd-string guard.

Gives me hope for the rest of the season.

I'm just happy we got a win after looking so bad for 2 weeks.

The defense came out like I haven't seen in a while... they got a lot of turnovers the first two games but I really got the sense they were trying to make big hits on every single play this week (especially CJ Mosley -- he's a very good player, but he was trying to be a hitter in this game)... and that's the attitude they need. It was encouraging.

I want to see more Jaylen Hill on the screen though. I've been harping on this all year long and hopefully next game against the Titans who I assume have a passing attack (IDK their stats but they have Mariota), will feature him more. I only saw him on screen once that I noticed.

Refocused: Baltimore Ravens 40, Miami Dolphins 0
BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM • MIAMI DOLPHINS BALTIMORE RAVENS • OCT 27, 2017
GettyImages-866861044.jpg
BALTIMORE, MD - OCTOBER 26: Running Back Alex Collins #34 of the Baltimore Ravens carries the ball in the second quarter against the Miami Dolphins at M&T Bank Stadium on October 26, 2017 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)
The night fully belonged to the Baltimore Ravens as they defeated Miami Dolphins 40-0 in M&T Bank Stadium.

QB Joe Flacco left the game early when he took a massive hit from LB Kiko Alonso while sliding, but the Ravens rushing attack, good for 173 yards on the night, more than helped displace his loss. RB Alex Collins had his most productive game of the season.

On the opposite side, QB Matt Moore was harried all night by the Ravens pass-rushers and Jay Ajayi struggled to find room to run.

CB Jimmy Smith capped the night with an interception return for a touchdown. With that, we give you our PFF exclusive takeaways from the contest for each team.

TOP 5 GRADES:
CB Jimmy Smith, 90.7 overall grade

RB Alex Collins, 86.1 overall grade

S Tony Jefferson, 84.6 overall grade

DI Brandon Williams, 83.5 overall grade

S Eric Weddle, 82.6 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
RB ALEX COLLINS, 86.1 OVERALL GRADE

Collins had his most productive game of the year, gaining 113 yards on the ground on 18 carries. Nearly half of his yards game after first contact, and he forced four missed tackles. His real only downfall on the night was getting beaten in pass protection a couple times.

C RYAN JENSEN, 80.4 OVERALL GRADE
Depsite Collins’ production on the ground, not many Ravens’ blockers graded well since a good portion of the success came by winning through scheme or Collins making his own yardage. Jensen was the exception to that though, and his most impressive blocks came when he quickly got to the second level and controlled LB Rey Maualuga, as he did on a few occasions.

CB JIMMY SMITH, 90.7 OVERALL GRADE
Jimmy Smith was the definition of a shut-down corner against the Dolphins. Smith allowed two catches on seven targets for 12 yards, knocked down two passes, and had another which he picked off and took for a touchdown. When Moore targeted Smith, he had a passer rating of 0.0.

DI BRANDON WILLIAMS, 83.5 OVERALL GRADE
The Ravens interior defensive line is led by the play of Brandon Williams. When Williams was out the defense took a downward turn. But against the Dolphins, Williams helped the Ravens defense shut down the running game. Williams had four tackles, all of which where run stops.

TOP 5 GRADES:
S Michael Thomas, 90.6 overall grade

DI Ndamukong Suh, 90.5 overall grade

T Ja’Wuan James, 86.6 overall grade

G Jesse Davis, 80.2 overall grade

Edge William Hayes, 78.4 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB MATT MOORE, 53.5 OVERALL GRADE

In a game where many people where expecting the Dolphins to come out of the game with a quarterback controversy, now many must be wondering how quickly can Jay Cutler can get back. Moore struggled when he wasn’t pressured, as he was kept clean on 76.1 percent of his dropbacks and he only completed 57.1 percent of his passes for 107 yards when kept clean. Tonight’s effort cannot be put totally on the offensive line.

G JESSE DAVIS, 80.2 OVERALL GRADE
While this is a game that nearly every Dolphins offensive player will want to forget, there were some positives. One of those was the performance of Jesse Davis. While Davis has had his struggles this season, against the Ravens he was able to keep his head held high. Davis allowed just one pressure on pass plays and even produced some nice blocks in the handful of run attempts the Dolphins had.

DI NDAMUKONG SUH, 90.5 OVERALL GRADE
Penalties aside, Suh was very disruptive in the trenches. He tied for the team lead with three total pressures, all hurries. He had three stops in run defense and forced the ball carrier away from the intended point of attack on other occasions, but his teammates weren’t always able to make the stops to result in successful defensive plays. The three starting linebackers missed a combined seven tackles on the night.

S MICHAEL THOMAS, 90.6 OVERALL GRADE
Thomas saw the most action of his season by playing 49 of 65 defensive snaps. He entered the game having played just 26 defensive snaps on the entire season. He was targeted just twice all game, with one coming on the Ravens’ two-point conversion attempt. Thomas broke up both passes, and also made a stop in run defense.

PFF GAME BALL: JIMMY SMITH, CB
JimmySmithWk8GB.jpg

*Grades are subject to change upon review

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-baltimore-ravens-40-miami-dolphins-0

very important for the offense, I think we'll see a much improved team if he can play.

I did grades after week 4, I'll do them now after week 8:

OFFENSE

QB-

Flacco - 69.5

WR-
JMaclin - 76.2
MWallace - 53.2
BPerriman - 38.3
CMatthews - 50.8
MCampanaro - 48.2
CMoore - 60.1

RB-
JAllen - 44.7
BRainey - 68.6
ACollins - 74.1
DWoodhead - 74.0
TWest - 45.2

FB-
PRicard - 71.6

TEs-
NBoyle - 71.8
BWatson - 49.3
GEscobar - 72.7
MWilliams - 61.3
VMayle - 60.3

Center-
RJensen - 84.0

Guards-
JHurst - 44.6
JEluemunor - 39.3
MSkura - 37.9
LBowanko - 68.4

Tackles-
RStanley - 81.4
AHowad - 73.3

DEFENSE

CBs-

JSmith - 88.5
MHumphrey - 78.0
BCarr - 75.2
LWebb - 42.0
Jaylen Hill - 73.7
(BOOM)

Safeties-
TJefferson - 71.3
EWeddle - 50.7
CClark - 71.0
ALevine - 78.8

Linebackers-
CJMosley - 72.9
POnwuasor - 72.7
BBradley - 61.9
KCorrea - 47.2

Interior Defenders-
BWilliams - 87.4
MPierce - 84.2
CDavis - 76.7
WHenry - 49.4
CWormley - 48.2
BKaufusi - 68.2

Edge Defenders-
TSuggs - 82.1
ZSmith - 71.4
MJudon - 45.9
TBowser - 59.0
Twilliams - 74.8

Nice, hopefully they play him and Jaylen Hill wayyy more than Lardarius Webb and our secondary won't have any holes as long as they use Tony Jefferson right and Eric Weddle plays well. Still, this is a huge improvement. Webb wasn't even supposed to play at all this year, he was gonna be a player-coach until Tavon Young (a great but small CB who was gonna play Nickelback) tore his ACL, then Canady was looking like a great replacement but he fucked up his knee too.

Projected as the defense’s top slot cornerback after the unit lost Tavon Young to a torn ACL in his left knee during an organized team activity on June 1, Canady could play safety or even linebacker, according to defensive coordinator Dean Pees.

“I think he is a very versatile guy,” Pees said Thursday. “The guy has played nickel for us, he has played corner for us, he has played safety for us. Once we kind of get him back in the groove, I think we can find some places where we can plug him in and move him around. Maybe even on certain calls, move certain guys to different places and play him in different places. Again, if you look out there and [No.] 26 [Canady’s jersey number] is a safety one time and he is a nickel one time and he is a linebacker one time, it is kind of hard in protections and things like that."

This is what I'm really excited about ^^ He can play many positions and allow Tony Jefferson to play closer to the line of scrimmage. I really think Canady and Jaylen Hill are going to shore up any holes in the secondary, of course it'll take a couple weeks for the coaches to let them play major snaps.

DNZxa5XW4AAGlCt.jpg

The secondary is already thee second best, even with a huge hole in it (webb), it's about to feature two great players a lot more instead of him. I just hope the coaches let them take his playing time quicker rather than slower.

Fellow cornerback Jimmy Smith is having one of the best seasons of his career, despite dealing with an Achilles injury. Smith has two defensive touchdowns, three takeaways (two interceptions, one fumble recovery) and has a 33.1 defensive passer rating — the best among all cornerbacks.
^^ my dude Jimmy Smith is ballin' out this year :D :D :D hopefully he gets a pro-bowl or an all-pro, he's been one of the best cover CBs for a while but he's really standing out this year.

Then, Woodhead is coming back and he will help the offense A LOT because we'll finally have someone who execute those screen passes that are built in.

I think the Ravens can finish at least 10-6.

Last edited:
Just trade Perriman for some left over Halloween candy or something.

Ravens 20-23 Titans
Season: 4-5

Hmm.. I didn't watch this game too closely as I had a lot going on and I passed out before it was over. It looked like the usual problems on offense, and I was surprised at some of the offense the Titans were able to get going early, but the defense looked better as the game went on.

I think getting Danny Woodhead back after the bye is our only hope.

Refocused: Tennessee Titans 23, Baltimore Ravens 20
BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM • NOV 5, 2017
GettyImages-870642676-copy.jpg
NASHVILLE, TN - NOVEMBER 05: Kevin Byard #31 of the Tennessee Titans runs with the ball after a interception against the Baltimore Ravens at Nissan Stadium on November 5, 2017 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)
Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco connected with wide receiver Mike Wallace for a one-yard touchdown in the final minute of the fourth quarter, but his last-ditch effort wasn’t enough to pick up the win against the Tennessee Titans.

The Titans’ 17 first-half points and quarterback Marcus Mariota’s 11-yard touchdown strike to veteran wide receiver Eric Decker in the final frame were enough for Tennessee to pick up the 23-20 win over Baltimore on Sunday.

Mariota completed 19-of-28 passes for 218 yards and two touchdowns against one interception on the day, picking up the pace for his underwhelming backfield. Titans running backs DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henrycombined for just 45 yards on 17 carries (2.64 YPC) against the Baltimore’s stout front seven. Ravens veteran safety Eric Weddle was the man behind Mariota’s sole interception, as he picked off the third-year signal-caller’s pass in the fourth quarter to give his team a chance to stay in the game.

However, Flacco’s two fourth-quarter touchdown passes were too little too late. He finished the game with 261 passing yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions.

With that, we give you our PFF exclusive takeaways from the contest for each team.

TOP 5 GRADES:

DI Jurrell Casey, 91.4 overall grade

LB Wesley Woodyard, 89.5 overall grade

TE Delanie Walker, 86.2 overall grade

C Ben Jones, 85.0 overall grade

CB Logan Ryan, 84.4 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB MARCUS MARIOTA, 82.2 OVERALL GRADE

He did have a poor interception to Eric Weddle on an overthrow that almost allowed Baltimore to get back into the game, but this was once again another efficient performance from the former No. 2 overall draft pick. He found success throwing the ball downfield, completing 4-of-7 passes for 93 yards along with a touchdown and an interception on throws traveling 20-plus yards in the air.

TE DELANIE WALKER, 86.2 OVERALL GRADE
Walker was a game-time decision, but the Titans, and Mariota, in particular, were delighted to see him on the field, as he came up with several big catches. Playing just 21 passing snaps, he averaged 3.67 yards per route run, and he showcased soft hands with zero drops on the day.

DI JURRELL CASEY, 91.4 OVERALL GRADE

Casey played a pivotal role in the Titans allowing just 0.81 yards before contact to the Baltimore running backs on Sunday afternoon. The Titans’ star interior defender dominated Baltimore’s interior offensive line, as he earned a run defense grade of 92.6. Furthermore, Casey also picked up two pressures, including a sack, on 44 pass-rushing snaps.

LB WESLEY WOODYARD, 89.5 OVERALL GRADE

Woodyard led the Titans with seven defensive stops on the day, and he did not miss a single tackle. His most notable run stuff came in the fourth quarter when he tackled RB Alex Collins for no gain and forced Baltimore to turn over the ball on downs. Woodyard excelled in pass coverage as well, allowing just 33 yards on eight targets and even breaking up one of those attempts.

BLT-Ravens-Header.png

TOP 5 GRADES:
S Eric Weddle, 85.1 overall grade

CB Marlon Humphrey, 80.5 overall grade

WR Jeremy Maclin, 79.7 overall grade

Edge Matthew Judon, 78.6 overall grade

G James Hurst, 77.6 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
WR JEREMY MACLIN, 79.7

Maclin, once again healthy, proved why the Baltimore offense needs him so much. The former Kansas City Chief led the Ravens in receptions, as he hauled in eight of his nine targets and gained 98 yards, only 10 of which coming after the catch. He was all over the field, as his eight receptions came against seven different Titans defenders. QB Joe Flacco had a passer rating of 112.0 when targeting Maclin in this game.

QB JOE FLACCO, 70.8 OVERALL GRADE

Even though Flacco got good protection and was under pressure on just seven of his 54 dropbacks, he did not attempt to attack the Titans defense vertically as frequently as it might have been expected based on the protection. Of Flacco’s 47 aimed passes, only 13 traveled at least 10 yards in the air. He attempted just four passes beyond 20 yards from the line of scrimmage, but neither were completed and two of these attempts were picked off, as he had a passer rating of 0.0 on these throws.

CB MARLON HUMPHREY, 80.5 OVERALL GRADE
The Ravens continued to bring Humphrey along slowly, but their first-round draft pick out of Alabama continues to flash when he gets on the field. He played just 18 snaps against the Titans and just 12 in coverage, but he didn’t allow a catch on the two throws where he was the primary coverage defender and came away with a pass breakup.

CB JIMMY SMITH, 75.6 OVERALL GRADE
After allowing 29 yards on the opening play of the game, Smith allowed just two receptions for 12 yards the rest of the way. That reception had a big impact on his NFL passer rating allowed in the game, coming in at 86.3, with Smith leading the NFL at 24.5 coming into the game. This performance pushed that to 34.5, which is now second in the NFL behind New Orleans Saints rookie Marshon Lattimore.

PFF GAME BALL: JURRELL CASEY, DI
CaseyGameballW91.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-tennessee-titans-23-baltimore-ravens-20

mid-season-all-pro-team-defense-1024x576.jpg

Flex D – Jimmy Smith, Baltimore Ravens
PFF Grade: 89.6

Elite Stat: Smith allows the league’s lowest passer rating when targeted at 27.9 this season.

In 2014 it looked like Jimmy Smith may have been on his way to being one of the game’s best cornerbacks, finally teaming his immense physical talent with play on the field. This is the first season he has been back to that level, and has actually surpassed it in 2017. He has allowed just 106 receiving yards all season, giving up a passer rating of just 27.9 when thrown at, more than ten points worse than if quarterbacks had just thrown the ball at the dirt instead.

---
Jimmy Smith on the mid-season all pro team, nice :)

Brandon Williams is worth every penny. Even when he's not doing anything, he's doing things. 3rd shutout with him in the lineup. Don't care if it's against a dead in the water offense. Secondary also deserves tremendous props for being so opportunistic. I feel like they've lucked into some of these picks, but they grab them and don't blow the opportunity, so great work.

I wanted to post on the offense separately, since it was so bad today and defense deserved their props. O-Line has to get healthy. We can't have Stanley out again. That was scary how little time Flacco had on many plays and the run game suffered mightily as well. They cant expect the defense and special teams to keep carrying them and handing them short fields to not take advantage of.

Ravens 23-0 Packers
Season: 5-5

Good game today. Offense didn't look much better with Woodhead in, but he wasn't used much and Ronnie Stanley (LT) was out, which is like REALLY huge, so, I'm happy enough even though I'm expecting better coming up soon. Defense looked good, but I still feel like they're vulnerable at times, IDK, it's a weird feeling. Dominant, but vulnerable? IDK. But when I look at the games they've lost recently -- 3 point loss to the bears, 8 point loss to the vikings, 3 point loss to the titans ... I think Woodhead is worth that many points in each of those games.

Hopefully I'm right or they're fucked.

Plus, Canady is back full time with Jaylen Hill... so this is the defense's final form as well. We will see how it goes the rest of the way. I feel like the playoff race is pretty much in their hands.

Refocused: Baltimore Ravens 23, Green Bay Packers 0
BY PFF ANALYSIS TEAM • NOV 19, 2017
USATSI_10425230.jpg
Nov 19, 2017; Green Bay, WI, USA; Baltimore Ravens running back Danny Woodhead (39) is tackled by Green Bay Packers safety Josh Jones (27) in the first quarter at Lambeau Field. Mandatory Credit: Benny Sieu-USA TODAY Sports
Forcing five Green Bay Packers turnovers, the Baltimore Ravens’ defensive unit carried their team to a 23-0 victory on Lambeau Field early Sunday morning, giving Green Bay their first shutout loss at home since 2006.

Packers rookie quarterback Brett Hundley was the man responsible for four of Green Bay’s five turnovers, as he threw three interceptions and fumbled the ball once He finished the contest having completed 21-of-36 passes for 239 yards and zero touchdowns in addition to his three picks.

Serving as a catalyst to Hundley’s woes under center, Baltimore’s defense sacked the former UCLA product six times for a total loss of 49 yards.

Offensively, Ravens running back Alex Collins couldn’t get going on the ground, as he averaged just 2.5 yards per carry on 20 attempts en route to a measly 50-yard performance. However, his fourth-quarter score and wide receiver Mike Wallace’s 21-yard touchdown were enough to keep Hundley & Co. at bay. With that, we give you our PFF exclusive takeaways from the contest for each team.

BLT-Ravens-Header.png

TOP 5 GRADES:
RB Alex Collins, 85.1 overall grade

S Eric Weddle, 84.8 overall grade

DE Willie Henry, 84.6 overall grade

LB C.J. Mosley, 84.6 overall grade

Edge Matthew Judon, 84.3 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB JOE FLACCO, 64.7 OVERALL GRADE

This won’t go down as one of Flacco’s greatest efforts, but the Raven can at least say his team having the better quarterback played a huge role in deciding who won. The team continued to struggle moving the ball down the field with no completions over 20 yards in the air and just three completions going further than 10. This win won’t mask anything in that regard.

RB ALEX COLLINS, 85.1 OVERALL GRADE
On the surface of it, 50 yards on 20 carries might not seem like a good day. But with 47 of those yards coming after contact Collins worked tirelessly to keep the chains moving forward and was rewarded with a garbage-time touchdown. Even with the return of Danny Woodhead (13 snaps), Collins was still very much the feature back with his 38 snaps more than Woodhead and Javorius Allen combined (23).

DE WILLIE HENRY, 84.6 OVERALL GRADE
Henry is one of those guys you don’t hear an awful lot from but he’s quickly become a big part of the Ravens defense. This was arguably his finest game as a pro, wracking up a career-best five combined sacks, hits, and hurries while adding two further defensive stops. The fourth-rounder has now played 61.1 percent of the team’s defensive snaps and that number is trending up.

EDGE MATTHEW JUDON, 84.3 OVERALL GRADE
It was quite the day for Judon, who got to Brett Hundley three times while making a total of five defensive stops in an all action display, He owed his sack tally to a quarterback intent on holding the ball for as long as possible but beyond that number it was his work in the run game and coverage that really caught the eye.

GB-Packers-Header.png

TOP 5 GRADES:
WR Davante Adams, 84.8 overall grade

Edge Nick Perry, 84.5 overall grade

S Josh Jones, 82.8 overall grade

RG Jahri Evans, 82.3 overall grade

Edge Ahmad Brooks, 81.1 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB BRETT HUNDLEY, 38.6 OVERALL GRADE

That wasn’t pretty. Hundley has if nothing else been careful with the ball since becoming the starter, but on Sunday even that deserted him. Three picks and six sacks (four of which can be attributed to him either holding onto the ball too long or moving out of a clean pocket) tell it all. Even Green Bay fans, used to Aaron Rodgers holding onto the ball for a long time, must be wondering what it is when their quarterback has an average time to throw of 3.65 seconds (Rodgers was at 2.83 seconds by way of comparison). Something has to change behind center if the Packers season is to go anywhere.

WR DAVANTE ADAMS, 84.8 OVERALL GRADE
There wasn’t a whole lot to get excited by on offense but Adams took what chances came his way to finish the day with 126 receiving yards and a number of impressive grabs. The usually reliable Jimmy Smith had some issues with the former Fresno State wideout, with three of his grabs for 47 yards coming against the Ravens top cornerback.

EDGE KYLER FACKRELL, 81.0 OVERALL GRADE
With Clay Matthews leaving the game with a groin injury (after picking up a sack and two hurries), in came Fackrell for heavy snaps and he responded well. Rushing the passer he had one sack where he beat Austin Howard as quick as a hiccup, while his work in the run game was impressive if not particularly splashy. A solid showing all round.

S JOSH JONES, 82.8 OVERALL GRADE
In what might be something of a lost season for the Packers it’s important to remember there are positives. The rookie Jones looks like he belongs on an NFL field and picked up a couple of tackles in coverage for short gains while drawing a holding call in the run game to bring a play back. After a rough few weeks for him it was good to see the now every-down player return to his early season form.

PFF GAME BALL: EDGE MATTHEW JUDON, 84.3 OVERALL GRADE
Matthew-Judon.jpg

*Grades are subject to change upon review

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-baltimore-ravens-23-green-bay-packers-0

It's actually really good to see Judon get some good games under his belt after a slow start to the year. He's a first-year starter and he beginning of the season wasn't good for him at all. He needs to be great for us.

Back