why wasn't Deshaun Watson the #1 pick?

yookfarb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
just learned today he injured his acl but damn he had some pretty good stats up until now

hindsight is 20 20 sure but why were so many teams lukewarm on the most hyped up player in the draft in the first place?

Because the Browns had the #1 pick.

Because Myles Garrett is a freak of nature.

College style offense is quite different from the NFL. It's often a crapshoot how QBs will pan out. It's incredibly rare that a QB comes out of college and it's a given that he'll excel in the NFL, the last one being Andrew Luck. Watson wasn't even the first QB taken, let alone first overall.

College style offense is quite different from the NFL. It's often a crapshoot how QBs will pan out. It's incredibly rare that a QB comes out of college and it's a given that he'll excel in the NFL, the last one being Andrew Luck. Watson wasn't even the first QB taken, let alone first overall.

yea what made scouts think Biscuit and Mahomes were going to be better tho?

Owners are pretty gun-shy when it comes to mobile QBs.

So much for making fun of the Rams going with Goff number 1 overall.

Because NFL front offices are full of pussies. Everything about him at Clemson screamed franchise QB but they talked themselves out of it. Browns (twice!!!!!!!!!!!!), Bears, 9ers, Jags, Jets, Chargers, Bengals, KC, Buffalo could have all had him. I'm not a draft expert or anything, I don't have trained eyes, but I felt like it was pretty clear that Watson was really fucking good.

Because NFL front offices are full of pussies. Everything about him at Clemson screamed franchise QB but they talked themselves out of it. Browns (twice!!!!!!!!!!!!), Bears, 9ers, Jags, Jets, Chargers, Bengals, KC, Buffalo could have all had him. I'm not a draft expert or anything, I don't have trained eyes, but I felt like it was pretty clear that Watson was really fucking good.
Browns wasn't the only canchise. In fact many experts were convinced he was a late 1st / early 2nd.

But Garrett was always going to be #1. Athletic freak of nature that will be a major defensive force for many years.

Browns wasn't the only canchise. In fact many experts were convinced he was a late 1st / early 2nd.

But Garrett was always going to be #1. Athletic freak of nature that will be a major defensive force for many years.

Yeah, reminded me of the Clowney pick. Sure, if you had taken Derek Carr you're laughing. But Clowney was too great a chance to pass up, and Carr wasn't expected to go early.

Few had him pegged as an all-time great. Even Texans fans were just mildly pleased. Not a lot thought they got a steal or anything.

If he went to the browns his career would've plummeted. ACL injury aside he's fortunate to have gone to the Texans instead. A better question is why the hell was TOM SAVAGE the starting qb for Houston to start the season.

Yeah, reminded me of the Clowney pick. Sure, if you had taken Derek Carr you're laughing. But Clowney was too great a chance to pass up, and Carr wasn't expected to go early.
The Texans weren't going to take another Carr even if he was the second coming of Montana, Young, Favre, and Canning combined.

The flashbacks of David would be too great.

Amazing what stepping away from Jeff "QB killer" Fisher can do for a player.

There was a pile on mocking Goff going #1 overall. Remember the hand size stuff?

Turns out he is one of the more successful QB draft choices in recent memory.

Well the highly touted ones this past decade like Flacco, Ryan, Stafford, Alex Smith, Cutler, Wentz, Bradford, Newton, Winston, Tanehill, and Bortles have all panned out pretty well.

All have passed for an absurd amount of yards. They are all regular starters. Flacco has even won a superbowl.

There was a pile on mocking Goff going #1 overall. Remember the hand size stuff?

Turns out he is one of the more successful QB draft choices in recent memory.
Since you're also a Pac 12 fan how do you see Rossen, Browning, and Falk the other crop of Pac 12 QBs fairing? Browning 100% needs to get on the horsemeat and hit a weight room, he looks like a middle schooler out there and as far as I can tell Falk needs to gain that "radar" to sense pressure and learn to read defenses.

Well the highly touted ones this past decade like Flacco, Ryan, Stafford, Alex Smith, Cutler, Wentz, Bradford, Newton, Winston, Tanehill, and Bortles have all panned out pretty well.

All have passed for an absurd amount of yards. They are all regular starters. Flacco has even won a superbowl.
Wouldn't include Bradford, Winston, or Bortles... potentially Tannehill too. Bradford can't stay healthy and literally looks like a deer in the headlights out there, Winston is a goddamn goof, Bortles... well... dude will look like a God one game then think the opposing CBs are his receivers and Tannehill now is kinda like Bradford, keeps getting hurt.

Since you're also a Pac 12 fan how do you see Rossen, Browning, and Falk the other crop of Pac 12 QBs fairing? Browning 100% needs to get on the horsemeat and hit a weight room, he looks like a middle schooler out there and as far as I can tell Falk needs to gain that "radar" to sense pressure and learn to read defenses.

Crap shoot. All of them. None of them strike me as having the playmaking or leadership that Deshaun Watson had in college.

Browning at times looks unstoppable, then you see him against a strong pass rush and he suddenly looks scared.

Falk reminds me more of Tim Rosenbach than he does Bledsoe or Rypien.

Rosen is a complete crap shoot. He won't be Aikman but he could be Cade McNown 2.0.

Drafting QBs in the 1st round used to be a coin flip, but everything has changed. The bust rate is way down because all the good QBs go to so many amazing camps and are so seasoned by the time they finish college. Coaching at every level is so much better, and the camps really do make a difference. Guys now can come into the NFL and get going early and do well if they have good coaches.

Furthermore, Goff proves it is time to move away from QB killing dinosaurs like Fischer. It is an offensive league and the QB is the most important player. You need a good offensive coach to win these days. The head coach needs to be an offensive guy with the rules the way they are.

The Rams are so different this year and it is obvious why.

Back