Official Judo Thread

https://www.flograppling.com

So if you could get Ippon for 2 minor scoring techniques then why go for the full blown Ippon throw? This is not the way to see big dynamic throws in competition smh.

Also the not extending the leg while in bow and arrow is complete bull.

yeah, there are no cumulative scores. you either get ippon, all the wazaris, or nothing.

the new rules are great. it was stupid leg grabs were penalized more harshly, and did not make the sport more dynamic or exciting.

i like how there are three pages that specifically clarify when it's okay to drop someone onto their head, but another page that says arm-in guillotines from guard 'endanger the neck'.

same with the bow-and-arrow: i don't think it's about grabbing the leg, i think it's about hyperextending the knee. there's a lot of leeway there.

again, none of this shit would be an issue if people cross-trained, but a lot of referees don't. it'd also be better if referees weren't so fucking overzealous. they're definitely trying to get us to back off and only intervene when necessary (blatant penalties, blatant stalling) but otherwise just let people play.

i'm personally kinda sick of hearing older folks unfamiliar with BJJ label techniques they've NEVER DONE as 'dangerous'. especially when those same techniques are done in white belt BJJ competition and nobody dies.

you know what's dangerous? throwing two white belts out there and having them throw each other ass-over-head AS HARD AS THEY CAN.

i've talked with our instructor a lot about this stuff, and we're both of the mind that we're not there to teach IJF Judo. it's silly to not teach canon judo techniques simply because somebody decided they were ILLEGAL. it's not like double legs ceased to exist. it's not like guillotines don't work. everything is unsafe if it's unfamiliar.

I'm not good enough, or serious enough about judo to care what the rules are. As long as they are clear, and I don't get penalized for doing things accidentally, we're good. But I have jiu jitsu as a more open ruleset to do whatever I want anyway.

Doing a sub only tournament this weekend, so far its a 4 man bracket for my weight in brown belt. Going to use it as an opportunity to try to practice some stand up, without fear of penalty, points or time limit.

same with the bow-and-arrow: i don't think it's about grabbing the leg, i think it's about hyperextending the knee. there's a lot of leeway there.
Where did you find that in the rules? I do not see that.

Two yukos = ippon. Good?
Yuko are suppressed, there is only wazari, that includes old yuko too.
For example, two years ago, if you scored yuko, today is wazari.
Yesterday, with current rules, Riner scored two wazari in the final, but he wasn't awarded the ippon. If it were with next year rules, he would have won before the ending of the round.

Last edited:
not sure how you get a fuckin wazari when uke lands on their chest...

i think they need to upgrade the criteria for wazari but i'm cool with it. it was bullshit that you could throw for wazari and still have to hold a 20-second pin to win.

at the same time, two footsweeps where you land mostly on your side shouldn't win you the match.

we'll see how it goes. if nothing else it'll make the matches more intense, but i wonder if we'll have an olympics where people are like "why did they win for that?"

also, Teddy Riner would've lost by now - many many times - if leg grabs were still legal.

No good judo this weekend :( First opponent tried the stupidest thing anyone's ever done to me at a tournament... a baseball bat choke from the feet where he tried to spin under me from standing, and the second guy actually took me down with a super weak throw. Don't know the name. Like a lat drop with the lapel and a butterfly hook to help. I was tired and just kind of fell over which was embarrassing but I tapped both. Wish I could have gotten more standing work in. Should have pressed the action a little more rather than pressing forward and waiting to counter. I did manage a nice "judo" choke in the final though.

No good judo this weekend :(

winning your division and still feeling like you've lost lets you know that you're far enough along on your journey to give a shit about how you play. i think that's the line between citrus belt and senior rank. plus, your BJJ is solid enough that you can go for throws and not worry about scrambling for position. just keep grinding dude.

one of our 6th dans (and an IJF-B ref) and I were BSing last night, and decided that these

should all be called notaguruma

:D

WHAT COLOR IS THIS DRESS?

Back