People who think that a champ must defend the belt once a year

Cain, Anderson, Cruz, GSP, Aldo etc have all Sat on the belts for a year at a time.

Because if injury. There is a difference between being physically able to fight and just not fighting.

Did they go and fight in another weight class twice, then a different one, and then a different sport?

Don't think people are referring to Mac's FW title as that was relinquished. It's not defending the LW belt. Conor doesn't get a pass for going and fighting in another sport. It's his responsibility as Champ to defend the belt IF able.

Conor doing something other than MMA is no different than another fighter taking time off to make cash elsewhere, whether it's acting, book tour or going on safari to Africa. In other words it means shit. There are other fighters waiting to get there chance to become lightweight King and right now it's starting to bottleneck.

I am glad Bisping is gone. Hopefully Conor suffers the same fate and GSP defends in timely manner or vacate.

Wow, so much negativity from Braco.
Why, master, why?
You taught us all to be zener than zen.

Don't think people are referring to Mac's FW title as that was relinquished. It's not defending the LW belt. Conor doesn't get a pass for going and fighting in another sport. It's his responsibility as Champ to defend the belt IF able.

Conor doing something other than MMA is no different than another fighter taking time off to make cash elsewhere, whether it's acting, book tour or going on safari to Africa. In other words it means shit. There are other fighters waiting to get there chance to become lightweight King and right now it's starting to bottleneck.
Everything I said is true and reflects poorly on him and the UFC. Fought 3 fights after winning fw belt, then left the sport, other than being a personality, after winning lw belt. It all counts and is all bullshit. He was parading around with two belts and being "champ champ" until they finally had to strip him once the Floyd fight became a real thing.. This is unprecedented fuckery.
I'd be just as fine with him going away without defending as I would be with seeing him lose to a serious fighter.

Last edited:
I don't disagree. However your original position is the champ should be stripped unless he's not fighting due to a personal problem, issue with the law (which I'd put under personal problem), or injury. Personal problem can include a myriad of things up to and including the champ having a problem with the idea of defending their belt. Therefore by your original criteria, basically no champ who sits on their belt without cause (injury) would have ever been stripped and/or had an interim champion be crowned in their weight class.

My overall point is that 'personal problem' shouldn't be a criteria for determining whether or not a champ should be stripped or an interim belt created. Yes, if something major happens (such as a loved one's serious illness or death) then it's reasonable for the champ to pull out of a specific card and have the defense rescheduled. After all, I don't think any reasonable person would demand a fighter choose to show up and fight instead of let's say attending their mother's funeral or being by their dad's deathbed. However if the champ schedules timely title defenses the chances a major issue in their personal lives will appear every time they're set to defend is extremely slim. Therefore "personal problems" shouldn't be considered a valid reason for not defending at least once a year.

Problem is what it should defines “personal problems”.The weight vary to one person to another. Familiar issues could be considered in the same way if you wanted too.

I agree with you that put psychological problems as an option to avoid your duties as a champion should NOT give you the opportunity to stay holding a belt you are “incapable” to defend indefinitely.

Wow, so much negativity from Braco.
Why, master, why?
You taught us all to be zener than zen.

I very sorry friend. Sometime negative Braco take over and say very negative thing.

negative-braco2-jpg.299471

Thank you for reminding me friend. Stay positive brother. Much love.
p2.jpg

Attachments

• negative-braco2.jpg
    negative-braco2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 34
Its the UFC who has all the power and the once to blame in this «hostage» situation. Fans and fighters is acting like Conors is selfish for marching to the beat of hes own drum in a sport that gives out a fraction of its profits to the atheleats. Stipe is also holding the belt «hostage» btw, God bless him!

Its the UFC who has all the power and the once to blame in this «hostage» situation. Fans and fighters is acting like Conors is selfish for marching to the beat of hes own drum in a sport that gives out a fraction of its profits to the atheleats. Stipe is also holding the belt «hostage» btw, God bless him!
I thought the same yesterday, I picked up Stipe Miocic's profile and found out that last time he fought was May 13th against JDS, here's his profile: http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Stipe-Miocic-39537

This is why we enjoyed Jones as champ, he fought often... till his fuck ups *outside the octagon* caught up with him.. youngest champ on a vicious streak

The UFC would make a shitton more money if champions were forced to defend twice a year. If they were forced once it would save divisions from stagnating and in the long term also make more money.
"forced".... lol

Not in this country.

Champs should defend twice a year. Of course some take more damages and need more time, but i think that fighting every 6 months is reasonable.

Agreed keeps the divisions moving and men earning, like you said sometimes a fighter takes damage and medical suspension required, only after a full year should any thought of a interim title be introduced UFC as been passing out interim titles like participation awards.

To avoid divisions being stalled, for sure.

In fact Dana White said sometime ago that the era of one fighter holding two divisions was over, and if Aldo or Pettis wanted to fight each other on the other's division they would have to first vacate their belt. Most likely due to that, can you think of any other reason?
People this is a business with contracts and lawyers and commissions and rules.

Doesn't work that way.

healthy champ should defend twice a year

Let me propose this, as it would auto regulate the two-belts paradigm:

Any fighter can hold two championship belts at the same time he has to fight not once a year, but twice a year. Be it each 6 months. Regardless of being up to speed for it or not, if the fighter is not up to speed we get a interin champion for maybe 3 to 6 months tops.

If someone ever make it to 3 belts then it would be required from him to fight once each 4 months. [That would be a though mofherfucka, but Jones maybe could do it if he wasn't, you know... Jones.]

This McGregor situation is becoming unbearable.

If you add a rule that ANY champion's FIRST FIGHT has to be against a top contender, I will agree with it.

No recently crowned champion should be able to duck the division right after getting the belt. No fucking one!

Necessary pic necessary View attachment 298973

if a champion is not injured he is supposed to defend his belt against the highest top contender available in less then 1 year.

If he holds two belts the responsibility is doubled .simple as that.

No fight to an interim belt should be issued IF THE CHAMPION IS AVAILABLE to fight.
If he is not available to fight for any other reason that is not a personal problem,issues with the law or injury then he should not hold the belt.
And a new champion should be decided by combat between the next 2 top contender.

Nv1NX_s-200x150.gif
Damn Right @Oooxente the man has held 2 titles, in 2 divisions, in 2 fight different fight promotions, and as defended nothing and his bosses aren't curious to see if he can defend a belt? We know he can get one that's the easy part every real fight fan knows the work is defending one UFC 217 proved that...

All belts should be defended at least once per six months.

If issues arise preventing this from happening, the next rule in place says that a champion must defend once per year, and if they fail to do so, they are stripped.

All defenses must be against an opponent that is ranked in the Top 5 of the division, unless all are injured/suspended, then the opponent would have to be ranked 6-9.

Serious question: would have rather see a fighter fight more often and less "prepared" for his opponent (this would be applicable to both fighters, so even)?
Or
Have matches made months in advance for fighters to prep for?

If you know you are fighting a wrestler, you would train different. The only problem I see is that the champ can't prepare as much as any number of challengers.
Thoughts?

Back