Duterte's War on Drugs

How the fuck did that asshole get elected? He bragged about killing someone just for looking at him when he was 16.

I'm happy that you quit using drugs, amigo. Now you can eat more fish!

One of my closest Filipino friends got hooked on Shabu a few years ago. Nice guy, business owner. I've known him for 5-6 years and having me throw him out of my house was his impetus to quit drugs...he will admit that. It was ugly.

Still friends, probably forever...but if he's using, he don't tell me...just like everyone else in the Philippines...it's all underground now.

I had to look up Shabu. Didn't realize it was the Asian slang for meth.

Cause Shabu-Shabu is Japanese hot pot and I am like "daaaayymmmn" that shit is addictively delicious! I'd kill me some people for some shabu-shabu.

How the fuck did that asshole get elected? He bragged about killing someone just for looking at him when he was 16.
China and Russia meddled in the Philippine elections flooded the social media tons of anti western crap from 2012 onwards. And the previous administration that is tottaly corrupt and incimpetent happen to be very pro American and pro west and anti China in away.

It is just naturally easy pickings for the Duterte camp to attack the west and any pro west candidate.

This shit is way overblown. I feel perfectly safe here and people are still smoking weed and nobody gives a shit.

Alcohol is a factor in around 40% of all violent crimes in America.

In my country around 60% of all the people incarcerated for a violent crime were under the influence of alcohol when the crime was committed.

If we're actually being honest the portrayal of drug addicts as mindless violent people willing to do anything to get their fix is ridiculous when we're faced with a reality of large amounts of normal non violent people that turn into violent psychopaths while under the influence of our most socially acceptable legal drug.

It's ridiculous, illegal substances cause a fraction of the harm legal substances (alcohol, cigs and prescription drugs) do, and all substances don't do as much harm as merely a modern sedentary lifestyle (heart disease bitches the drug deaths), yet we have Einsteins over here going after "evil users of bad substances" like it's the 20s.

Fuck me prohibition, it's always a government scam to crack down on their population.
"These substances are so bad we will arrest (in this case shoot) you for doing them".

Meanwhile eat as much cals as you want, drink all day and smoke, we only care about the substances we don't get a tax off.

Jesus. It's frightening to know there are people out here that believe murdering another human being is justified if they use drugs. Human life really means shit.

Duterte's drug is not really working when his own son is also being implicated in the drug trade. Our customs office have been caught letting in $124 million worth of meth.

Now Duterte's honesty and integrity will be under a microscope if what you say is true. Let the games begin.

it's always a government scam to crack down on their population.
"These substances are so bad we will arrest (in this case shoot) you for doing them".

Meanwhile eat as much cals as you want, drink all day and smoke, we only care about the substances we don't get a tax off.

My wife said the same thing almost word for word. She was animated too.

<{spoogebab}>

anyone post this yet? Trump getting serenaded by Duerte

Hey fellas please allow me to clear something up real quick...

I never said that I agreed with Duterte's approach. My stance has been and still is that his approach (supposedly) is working for him but would like to know a different option that would also work. Official statistics from the Philippines is that over 600,000 users and dealers have disappeared since Duterte has been president and there are currently a little more than a half a million addicts undergoing rehabilitation

So basically you are making an "ends justifies the means" argument.

Hell, we could eliminate drunk driving and car accidents if we just confiscate everyone's cars! And nobody would die in house fires if everyone just slept under the stars! Imagine how the obesity epidemic would disappear if we just threw all fat people into vats of boiling acid! Fuck ya bro!

Lack of options doesn't mean you resort to extremes. Just because I don't have any aspirin handy, doesn't mean I'm going to chop off my head if I have a headache.

Please see my reply to Undying Poster about the relevance of alcohol related crimes in my country (Murica).

OK

Alcoholics aren't kicking down your door for a fix because alcohol isn't as addictive as crack cocaine, heroin or meth. The people addicted these drugs are the ones kicking in doors and robbing gas stations.

You can die from alcohol withdrawal, much more likely to die from alcohol withdrawal than heroin. It's really understated how addictive alcohol can be.

Capture rate (percentage of users who reported that they had become dependent to their respective drug at some point) for tobacco is larger than heroin.

Not to mention you're just listing the worst out of hundreds if not thousands of different options in the illegal drug market.

There are hundreds of illegal drugs safer than alcohol or tobacco.

It was 1/3 and they included DUI in those statistics. As much as I hate DUI and think it should warrant a very, very severe punishment, it's mainly an impairment issue. It's not the same as someone saying "I need a bottle of E&J, I think I'll go pull off a home invasion to come up with the money for it".

It's probably worse.

DUI deaths are around 10,000. I doubt junkies looking for a fix account for 10,000 murders. Sure there's a difference in intent but that's outweighed by the real total consequence to society.

Hopefully this becomes a moot point in the next few decades with driverless car technology.

I totally disagree that it has not translated into a crime epidemic. Where I live home invasions, robberies and drug related murders are spiking right along with the spike in, not just heroin, but meth, K-2 and fentanyl use as well. Many drug addicts are unable to think ahead and realize that they will be held accountable for what they do. Drug addiction is so strong that all they can think about is getting their next fix.

American police seizures shit all over the 4th amendment so badly that asset forfeiture from police was larger that that of the total physical theft for the entire country.

You have a crime wave occurring by your own police where seizures can be implemented without conviction coupled with an appeal process where the person has to prove their innocent often to a fucking prosecutor.

We're talking about killing people without due process in Duterte but you already have a lite version of this with civil asset forfeiture. Not only are you giving up your right to decide what risks you take with your body you're also allowing your property to be taken away often without due process.

Also while not quoted I also noticed you seem to infer that Portugal, a european country with a pretty high HDI has statistics that don't seem as believable as the lowly developed, poor south east asian often fraught with corruption Indonesia where the president has started killing people without trial.

This is not a logical position in the slightest.

So basically you are making an "ends justifies the means" argument.

No I'm not! That's how you choose to (mis)interpret my posts. My argument is that "Duterte's approach can logically work in the long run but I would prefer to see a different more humane option that would work just as good if not better." That and "Illegal substance abuse is a nuisance which I would like to see eradicated somehow."

Now Duterte's honesty and integrity will be under a microscope if what you say is true. Let the games begin.

That is the problem Duterte created for him self he just said so many BS, that only his die hard supporters will believe.

He admitted him self he tells lots of lies and jokes.

Duterte admits only 2 out of 5 of his statements are true
http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2...e-admits-only-2-out-5-his-statements-are-true

Eh sa limang salita, dalawa lang ‘yung tama niyan, ‘yung tatlo puro kalokohan ‘yan. (In every five statement I make, only two are true while three are just jokes),” the president said during the 115th anniversary of the Bureau of Customs in Manila.

“And so I’m just fond of doing it. Gusto ko lang tumawa (I just want to laugh). Well, at the expense also of myself sometimes,” he added.

Duterte cited his joke about talking to God, which was picked up by both local and international media. After his trip to Japan last October, the president claimed that God had told him to stop cursing or his plane would crash.

“They said that, 'You know Duterte is a little bit off his rocker because he claims to have talked to God.' Well, that is not really a problem. The problem would be if God starts to talk to me,” the president said.

“But you talk to God. You can always communicate verbally even verbose. There is nothing wrong with it and if you say that God said that, well, nagloloko lang talaga ako (I was just joking).”

He says a lot of ridiculous things that may really not be true like saying he stabbed some one to death and then saying he just said that in jest.

The problem here is when do we know when he is serious or not? A seating president should not be saying so many jokes like that specially in public addressing your constituents in a foreign land like when he said that at the gathering of Filipino community in Vietnam.

Can you imagine if President Trump have said something like that?

And yet his political base thinks it is okay because they believe him that he is doing the right thing.

So we better ask his die hard supporters, when did political discourse include profanities and bad jokes? When did this type of discourse became acceptable?

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2...e-admits-only-2-out-5-his-statements-are-true

There have been a lot of killing attributed with the Drug War before Duterte came to power but his statements and his blatant attacks against the UN,EU and the USA in 2016 did not help the situation.

All his threats did not help the economy.

Ease of doing business ranking for the Philippine deteriorated under his leadership.
https://tradingeconomics.com/philippines/ease-of-doing-business
Ease of Doing Business in Philippines 2008-2017 | Data | Chart | Calendar
Philippines is ranked 113 among 190 economies in the ease of doing business, according to the latest World Bank annual ratings. The rank of Philippines deteriorated to 113 in 2017 from 99 in 2016. Ease of Doing Business in Philippines averaged 120.40 from 2008 until 2017, reaching an all time high of 144 in 2009 and a record low of 97 in 2014.

Foreign investments down 14% in 1st 6 months

The net inflow of job-creating foreign direct investments (FDI) declined 14 percent year-on-year to $3.6 billion in the first half despite a 182.7-percent jump posted in June, the latest Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas data released yesterday showed.

The FDIs registered in June increased by almost three-fold to $674 million from $238 million a year ago, “reflecting investors’ continued bullish outlook on the Philippine economy,” the BSP said in a statement.

Read more: http://business.inquirer.net/236698/foreign-investments-14-1st-6-months#ixzz4yNIQCXrt
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

You can die from alcohol withdrawal, much more likely to die from alcohol withdrawal than heroin. It's really understated how addictive alcohol can be.

Perhaps one of use can post statistics showing how many deaths occurred due to alcohol withdrawal and how many of them occurred due to heroin overdose? Pointing out that a person CAN die from alcohol withdrawal doesn't mean much when people are not dying of alcohol withdrawal as much as people dying from heroin overdose.

Capture rate (percentage of users who reported that they had become dependent to their respective drug at some point) for tobacco is larger than heroin.

Not to mention you're just listing the worst out of hundreds if not thousands of different options in the illegal drug market.

Well, I'm not talking about tobacco which I've never heard anyone dying over except for certain cancers linked to cigarette smoking. But I've yet to hear of a cigarette overdose or someone pulling a home invasion to come up with the money to get a pack of smokes.

And I listed tangibles as opposed to what ifs or possibles. We'll get better traction that way imo.

There are hundreds of illegal drugs safer than alcohol or tobacco.

I beg to differ. You are looking at it from a "self bodily harm" pov. I was looking at it from a "the harm addicts do to others to get what they want" pov since the beginning of this conversation. Even mad man Duterte never cited the self harm argument. His thing seems to be the harm that drug addiction does to people other than addicts and society as a whole. At least that's what he claims publicly.

It's probably worse.

DUI deaths are around 10,000. I doubt junkies looking for a fix account for 10,000 murders. Sure there's a difference in intent but that's outweighed by the real total consequence to society.

I'm inclined to agree with you but I would not be surprised if I were to look into it and find out that junkies looking for a fix also accounted for those numbers. That number maybe too big for one city or even one state, but for the entire U.S. it's totally possible. And let's not forget that illegal substances are also included in those numbers so we don't know how many of those 10,000 or so DUI deaths were cases where the guilty parties were under the influence of something other than alcohol. But it's like you said, the INTENT is what separates the two. A DUI death is considered manslaughter while a death during a robbery or home invasion goes to as murder. But if it were up to me people who drive while under the influence would receive the severest possible punishment. I think those people are inconsiderate scum.

Hopefully this becomes a moot point in the next few decades with driverless car technology.

<30>

American police seizures shit all over the 4th amendment so badly that asset forfeiture from police was larger that that of the total physical theft for the entire country.

You have a crime wave occurring by your own police where seizures can be implemented without conviction coupled with an appeal process where the person has to prove their innocent often to a fucking prosecutor.

We're talking about killing people without due process in Duterte but you already have a lite version of this with civil asset forfeiture. Not only are you giving up your right to decide what risks you take with your body you're also allowing your property to be taken away often without due process.

Well for the record I VEHEMENTLY disagree with Duterte's program with the lack of due process especially since some people are supposedly dealt with based on suspicion alone which is really fucked up. But I'll say again that no one on earth (including Portugal which I'll get to below) has come up with a viable and "serious crack down" solution to drug addiction and the problems that drug addiction imposes on a given society. It's a shame that some people become so desperate that a solution such as Duterte's sounds almost practical.

Also while not quoted I also noticed you seem to infer that Portugal, a european country with a pretty high HDI has statistics that don't seem as believable as the lowly developed, poor south east asian often fraught with corruption Indonesia where the president has started killing people without trial.

This is not a logical position in the slightest.

I'll put it to you in a way that you should understand. Let's say my professional mma record is 20-0 with only 4 KOs. That's a boring ass resume, no? Now let's say that instead of only 4 KOs the rules were changed to where if I knock a fighter down more than once over the course of a fight then that is recorded as a knockout! And I managed to knock at least 17 out of 20 opponents down two or more times during the fights so now my resume looks lovely; 20-0 17 wins by KO. See the what I did there?

What I am saying is that Portugal has decriminalized recreational drug use and reduced certain drug possession crimes to "minor offenses". OF COURSE this will make the numbers look differently than what they did before Portugal started this thing of theirs. But my MAIN POINT is that Portugal is essentially doing something which I believe Duterte refuses to do which is essentially placating drug addicts instead of trying to clean up their country and completely rid themselves of illegal drug use. Big difference between the two approaches so really shouldn't eve be compared if you ask me. That too helps change their statistics. It's better than nothing sure but as long as you still have broke and jobless drug addicts needing money to pay for drugs, certain amounts of drug possession as still being criminal offenses and people competing for drug business, you will still have ALL of the problems that come with these no matter what "official numbers" say. The Government of the United States has "official numbers" concerning the sexual assault rate in this country. Do you think even for a second that those numbers REALLY reflect the total number of sexual assaults that take place here? Every country fudges their numbers to look better to the rest of the world.

This shit is way overblown. I feel perfectly safe here and people are still smoking weed and nobody gives a shit.

Glad to hear a foreigner actually visiting the Philippines and finding out that this shit is way overblown lmao.

I invite any foreigner to do the same so you can find out for yourself instead of you opening your mouth without having any idea what you're all talking about.

Mainstream news has made it appear like Philippines has become a war zone littered with dead bodies. And anyone disputing that will be labeled "Duterte apologists".

LOL...It's the ASEAN conference now and everything is cleaned up....and weed is almost legal in Philippines.

Glad to hear a foreigner actually visiting the Philippines and finding out that this shit is way overblown lmao.

I invite any foreigner to do the same so you can find out for yourself instead of you opening your mouth without having any idea what you're all talking about.

Mainstream news has made it appear like Philippines has become a war zone littered with dead bodies. And anyone disputing that will be labeled "Duterte apologists".
Dumb. I live here and every Filipino with a brain is outraged about DU30....even the one's that voted for him. I still check "yes" on the public support ballots that are passed my way. Better than getting killed.

Dumb. I live here and every Filipino with a brain is outraged about DU30....even the one's that voted for him. I still check "yes" on the public support ballots that are passed my way. Better than getting killed.

There are surveys being conducted? By the Barang-Gays?

Back