Famous BASE jumper dies in wingsuit jump.

We can send people to Everest to wing suit off, but getting the corpses back down is too hard?
In short, yeah. It's both extremely dangerous and expensive. Logistically very challenging too.

In short, yeah. It's both extremely dangerous and expensive. Logistically very challenging too.

You know they say that, yet hundreds of people climb to the summit every year. I feel like it's more of a money issue than a danger issue. I just don't see how if hundreds of people are walking right past these bodies that they can't figure something out. Toss em down in phases or something. I just find it odd that it's so hard to accomplish this when hundreds of people are recreationally going past the bodies.

I wish they would add those squirrel suits into GTA 5. That would be awesome.

Most of all, I want to know why BASE is capitalized. You think you're special or something?

I hope he was wearing a go pro and captured his final moments of life digitally. I will kill to see it.

he took one last breath
fly so high like smoking meth
a wing suited death

You know they say that, yet hundreds of people climb to the summit every year. I feel like it's more of a money issue than a danger issue. I just don't see how if hundreds of people are walking right past these bodies that they can't figure something out. Toss em down in phases or something. I just find it odd that it's so hard to accomplish this when hundreds of people are recreationally going past the bodies.
I'm gonna make a longer-than-short post here and don't want to clog up the thread off-topic, so I'll spoiler it:

You're right that the money issue is a major thing (that's pretty self-explanatory, but it's 100's of thousands to put climbers on top).

And it's much easier and cheaper to bring bodies down from lower altitudes, so that happens pretty much every time unless the body is lost or in a particularly treacherous spot.

Many climbers and their families wish for the body to be left on the mountain, and that is respected.

Most (nearly all now) bodies have been at least moved out of the climbing path, either given the best "burial" available or simply slid down the mountain into a waiting crevasse. The Chinese have been especially active with this on the north side of the mountain. Their efforts have been secretive, but many people have suffered severe frostbite on these missions. I do not know if any have died in the latest body burial efforts.

Tossing down bodies from anywhere high on the mountain leads to the body sliding off over one of two of the largest and sheerest mountain faces on the planet, and ending up being churned through the great gullies and crevasses and icefalls of the mountain. Both the East and North (not due north) aspects of Everest are quite sheer, the ridge between them quite narrow. There isn't a way to "toss" them down such a steep mountain ridge. And even if there were, avalanche and falling object danger would be unacceptable.

To get people to the summit & back stretches all of the available resources- including good weather (a narrow window), good snow conditions (that change rapidly), skilled high-altitude sherpa, oxygen, rope, protective gear like ice screws, food, etc. (it's a big "etc" too- these are major logistical challenges). Now, those people are dead tired, nothing left in their muscles, no fuel in them. They are as tired as people get- more tired than 99% of people will ever be under any circumstances. Sherpa and the best western climbers do a bit better, but are generally in a bad way themselves at that point. So the idea that any of the 100s of clients can reliably assist in a body recovery is out of the question.

As for the more skilled sherpa & western climbers, they are busy keeping clients alive, and generating revenue during the short climbing season. What could and has been done is that the family of the deceased pays for, essentially, "space" on the expedition, so that there is a higher guide-to-climber ratio, and a body recovery operation can be undertaken with "spare" sherpa. Here is a good short article on the subject:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-from-mount-everest/?utm_term=.6af6532c839c

But those attempts to recover the body require far more planning than guiding even a large summit party to the top. It requires upwards of a dozen climbing sherpa, plus support staff, just to try to move the body. They have to chip the body out of the ice, and it weighs a lot. They have to fashion it to a sled or whatever they can, in exposed, dangerous positions, and have to climb down by moving as a team, which is much harder than climbing down as individuals in a team. Accident risk skyrockets when dealing with many people and gear in close proximity on those ridges.

If there's any sort of serious emergency elsewhere on the route (a somewhat frequent occurrence), the sherpa must abandon the body recovery to help. The weather and snow conditions can cause the attempt to be abandoned. Body recoveries get abandoned for all of the same reasons climbing attempt get abandoned, yet they are even more difficult. People simply die at those altitudes, rescuers with Sherpa blood included. Throwing good lives after dead ones is a losing proposition.

Moving anything at that altitude is, by all accounts, unbelievably strenuous. Simply moving one's self and small amount of gear pushes even the best climbers. It's the sort of effort that can literally cause you to heave with breath for a minute or more, after 5 seconds of straining. And that's if you feel well. Most of the high altitude parts of the ridge are like this- where one can't slide something evenly in front of him due to the mountainous terrain. This can't be overstated. There are sections of the mountain that can only be negotiated inches at a time when under heavy load.

If you've ever been utterly out of breath with your muscles burning hot as fire, imagine that feeling never leaving your body, but being your baseline condition, and now you are to perform technical climbing maneuvers in sync with a group of 5 other people, at all times a small mistake from disaster, while carrying a weight share of around 40lbs.

At least he went out doing what he loved

I'd like to die facedown in a mound of cocaine

l@nd0

play stupid games win stupid prizes

A bit strange coming from a MMA fan.

I got as far as Ama Dablam basecamp trekking about a decade ago and it does actually seem very well suited for BASE jumping being very steep and relatively isolated but I spose he was probably pushing it getting close to the face.

Last edited:
I'm gonna make a longer-than-short post here and don't want to clog up the thread off-topic, so I'll spoiler it:

You're right that the money issue is a major thing (that's pretty self-explanatory, but it's 100's of thousands to put climbers on top).

And it's much easier and cheaper to bring bodies down from lower altitudes, so that happens pretty much every time unless the body is lost or in a particularly treacherous spot.

Many climbers and their families wish for the body to be left on the mountain, and that is respected.

Most (nearly all now) bodies have been at least moved out of the climbing path, either given the best "burial" available or simply slid down the mountain into a waiting crevasse. The Chinese have been especially active with this on the north side of the mountain. Their efforts have been secretive, but many people have suffered severe frostbite on these missions. I do not know if any have died in the latest body burial efforts.

Tossing down bodies from anywhere high on the mountain leads to the body sliding off over one of two of the largest and sheerest mountain faces on the planet, and ending up being churned through the great gullies and crevasses and icefalls of the mountain. Both the East and North (not due north) aspects of Everest are quite sheer, the ridge between them quite narrow. There isn't a way to "toss" them down such a steep mountain ridge. And even if there were, avalanche and falling object danger would be unacceptable.

To get people to the summit & back stretches all of the available resources- including good weather (a narrow window), good snow conditions (that change rapidly), skilled high-altitude sherpa, oxygen, rope, protective gear like ice screws, food, etc. (it's a big "etc" too- these are major logistical challenges). Now, those people are dead tired, nothing left in their muscles, no fuel in them. They are as tired as people get- more tired than 99% of people will ever be under any circumstances. Sherpa and the best western climbers do a bit better, but are generally in a bad way themselves at that point. So the idea that any of the 100s of clients can reliably assist in a body recovery is out of the question.

As for the more skilled sherpa & western climbers, they are busy keeping clients alive, and generating revenue during the short climbing season. What could and has been done is that the family of the deceased pays for, essentially, "space" on the expedition, so that there is a higher guide-to-climber ratio, and a body recovery operation can be undertaken with "spare" sherpa. Here is a good short article on the subject:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-from-mount-everest/?utm_term=.6af6532c839c

But those attempts to recover the body require far more planning than guiding even a large summit party to the top. It requires upwards of a dozen climbing sherpa, plus support staff, just to try to move the body. They have to chip the body out of the ice, and it weighs a lot. They have to fashion it to a sled or whatever they can, in exposed, dangerous positions, and have to climb down by moving as a team, which is much harder than climbing down as individuals in a team. Accident risk skyrockets when dealing with many people and gear in close proximity on those ridges.

If there's any sort of serious emergency elsewhere on the route (a somewhat frequent occurrence), the sherpa must abandon the body recovery to help. The weather and snow conditions can cause the attempt to be abandoned. Body recoveries get abandoned for all of the same reasons climbing attempt get abandoned, yet they are even more difficult. People simply die at those altitudes, rescuers with Sherpa blood included. Throwing good lives after dead ones is a losing proposition.

Moving anything at that altitude is, by all accounts, unbelievably strenuous. Simply moving one's self and small amount of gear pushes even the best climbers. It's the sort of effort that can literally cause you to heave with breath for a minute or more, after 5 seconds of straining. And that's if you feel well. Most of the high altitude parts of the ridge are like this- where one can't slide something evenly in front of him due to the mountainous terrain. This can't be overstated. There are sections of the mountain that can only be negotiated inches at a time when under heavy load.

If you've ever been utterly out of breath with your muscles burning hot as fire, imagine that feeling never leaving your body, but being your baseline condition, and now you are to perform technical climbing maneuvers in sync with a group of 5 other people, at all times a small mistake from disaster, while carrying a weight share of around 40lbs.
...well since you put it that way

Everest itself does tend to be looked down on by a lot of mountaineers though as somewhere under qualified rich people pay others to lug them up putting everyone's lives at risk, walking past dead bodies or worse dying fellow climbers like the "into thin air" situation in 1996 sums that up.

Back