THE SINNER (Season 3 Discussion)

I thought it was going down a much darker place. Looked like she was being taken into some sort of sex slave type industry. I thought the guy who she killed was a customer and maybe he regretted having sex with her because he didn't realize she was a slave or something similar to that.

I thought the real story was great a lot more simple and just bas circumstances all around.

Yeah, I agree. At least on some level, I can appreciate just about any show or movie that is clever enough to give me something that I don't feel like I've seen before. There are SO MANY out there already that have some predictable molestation/rape plot line so I'm really glad we got something else--something more interesting--with The Sinner.

I love how she apologized to the parents because it's true their son didn't deserve to die. The funny thing is the dad did all of that to her to save his son and his son ends up dying because of it. His son could have got off Scott free from that it was clearly an accident at most he would have got a small sentence.

Yeah, it's just tragic all around really. You have the sick girl who just wants to live a little. The guy who genuinely likes her and tried to save her, but she essentially died in his arms. The father who wants to protect his son. And the sister who unwittingly made it all happen by bringing her sister along that night.

If there's a villain here, it's JD. That guy's an asshole. But when you really look at the story, he was more of a bystander to all these events rather than any kind of perpetrator (beyond knocking Cora the fuck out, that is).

I hope they don't do another season. I didn't know it was just a 1 season type of deal. They should keep it that way. Shows that do this always want to try and go for more and they always end up ruining it.

Yeah, I think I'm probably with you. The only way it's going to work is if the second season is even BETTER than the first.

Just binge watched this show and it's great. There are a few little things that I missed the first time around, but this show is good enough that I'll watch it again gladly.

I guess my main question now is: if they didn't find Phoebe's body till towards the end of the show, then how did her parents know that Phoebe died five years ago?

Her mother said that Phoebe died a month or two after Cora ran away, which we know now not to be true, but why would her mom say that? Was she just assuming that since her very sick daughter never came back, she must have died?

Also, this might be a Captain hindsight thing, but even from the beginning of the show I thought the dead sister topic was something that the police officers should have brought up to Cora sooner, but it was like they didn't want to research her background ( the sheriff guy being the exception of course).

Great show. Will watch again with a friend.

The ending of episode 3 was a great "shit just got real" moment, and the tension in episode seven (the reveal episode) was unnerving in the best way possible.

Last edited:
Finished it last night.

I thought the first two episodes were good and the last two episodes were good. The four in the middle kind of dragged and just didn't push the plot forward very much.

One thing I'm pleased with is that the ending genuinely took me by surprise. My greatest fear from the beginning was that the show was going to go the predictable route of her just having been molested by her dad or raped by some guy, and it ended up being none of those. The story is tragic, but there was more humanity to it than I was expecting. You can understand why everyone did what they did and handled the situation in the manner in which they handled it.

Jessica Biel was also obviously very good and surprised me with her performance.

All in all I thought it was a pretty good show but not great. I think I'd concur with your rating of 6.5 or 7. Probably closer to 6.5 for me.

Only episodes 5 and 6 felt slow to me, but not enough for me to really complain.

I think it's a solid 8 for a show. The two lead actors did great, and the writing is high quality for the most part.

Only episodes 5 and 6 felt slow to me, but not enough for me to really complain.

I think it's a solid 8 for a show. The two lead actors did great, and the writing is high quality for the most part.

This is weird. I've seen multiple Sinner articles pop up in the past 24 hours and now you're in here resurrecting the thread.

Is something going on with the show that I'm not aware of?

This is weird. I've seen multiple Sinner articles pop up in the past 24 hours and now you're in here resurrecting the thread.

Is something going on with the show that I'm not aware of?

I have no idea haha. I just googled "good 2017 shows to watch" and I stumbled upon the Sinner. I hope they're not thinking of doing a sequel, though.

I read that due to the unexectedly strong ratings of S1 that USA is at least considering trying to do a season 2.

Understandable, but I have a hard time getting into anthology series. Half the time it just feels like a different show piggy backing off of the name of the original.

Who knows though, if they make it, I'll give it a try.

You seen any other good shows this year?

You seen any other good shows this year?

If you're asking about shows that we're new this year, like The Sinner, then I thought Ozark on Netflix was really good. Big Little Lies on HBO was also solid.

I'm disappointed Biel never showed her titties. 6/10

Oh so that's why.

ur7rZCz.gif
WHAT IS THIS FROM

Guess who's back...

Looks like season 2 is happening after all

Interesting.

I wonder where exactly they're going to go with the story.

I feel like this could end up not being good at all, but on the other hand maybe they'll surprise us.

Interesting.

I wonder where exactly they're going to go with the story.

I feel like this could end up not being good at all, but on the other hand maybe they'll surprise us.

Just out of sheer competence, I feel like this will be worth watching. We are clearly in good hands with these ‘filmmakers’ so to speak. Whether or not it will be great, we’ll see. I’m curious, & mostly optimistic.

Just out of sheer competence, I feel like this will be good. We are clearly in good hands with these ‘filmmakers’ so to speak. Whether or not it will be great, we’ll see. I’m curious, & mostly optimistic.

I know you were a little more impressed with Season 1 than I was. I enjoyed it, but enjoyed on a "pretty good" level. Like a 7/10. I remember you being very enthusiastic though.

The best thing about it was Biel's performance, I thought. The girl showed that she can really act.

I am curious as well and will do my best to remain optimistic. My hope, since I WAS kind of so-so on S1, is that it will actually end up being better. We'll see.

In any case, I'm glad to see that both Biel and Pullman are back for S2.

Back