Famous BASE jumper dies in wingsuit jump.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price.

giphy.gif

Dissapointing that jumping off everest, I know it wasnt the top, only end in 60 seconds off the ground.

Still a long ways from worth it.

There's a great documentary called Birdmen all about jumping with wing suits. Half the people they interview were dead by the time the documentary aired.

Suicidal is the wrong word TS. They don't want to die, they simply are not afraid to die as a consequence of doing the things they love.

You could say the same about many heroin addicts and alcoholics

This is meaner than your usual.

He never asked for anyone's concern.
I guess as a father, I don't understand how risking your life, for the sake of a thrill, is justifiable. I don't know if this man has children but he for sure has family, and I see these kind of death defying thrill seeking adventures are not justifiable if you purposely put yourself in harm's way and risk death and leaving people behind.

A bit strange coming from a MMA fan.

I got as far as Ama Dablam basecamp trekking about a decade ago and it does actually seem very well suited for BASE jumping being very steep and relatively isolated but I spose he was probably pushing it getting close to the face.
not trying to start an argument but please explain the correlation of what he did with my being a fan of man.

BASE is one of the most dangerous sports in the world, not just high-risk but high-risk with severe consequence as well.

Some people are honestly willing to assume that risk, some believe that it won't happen to them. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

I do think it's a but selfish to continue jumping when you have young children, but I find it hard to judge absolutely.

If I have kids I will continue to engage in certain risky activities. The risk is much lower than with BASE jumping, and the chance of accident is very low, but if I were to get killed I'm sure people will feel the same things about me that I feel about people doing BASE with kids. It's a spectrum, not a binary set, and where you draw the line is up to you. Personally I draw it somewhere around BASE jumping but others will draw it much closer to the safe end of the spectrum and it's hard to argue against that.

BASE is one of the most dangerous sports in the world, not just high-risk but high-risk with severe consequence as well.

Some people are honestly willing to assume that risk, some believe that it won't happen to them. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

I do think it's a but selfish to continue jumping when you have young children, but I find it hard to judge absolutely.

If I have kids I will continue to engage in certain risky activities. The risk is much lower than with BASE jumping, and the chance of accident is very low, but if I were to get killed I'm sure people will feel the same things about me that I feel about people doing BASE with kids. It's a spectrum, not a binary set, and where you draw the line is up to you. Personally I draw it somewhere around BASE jumping but others will draw it much closer to the safe end of the spectrum and it's hard to argue against that.
Wouldn't really call it a sport tbh. It's more of just falling with style

open-uri20150422-20810-a07syh_9331bd0a.jpeg

A Japanese team was assembled for the sole purpose of bringing a Japanese climbers body back from the death zone and they only managed to move it a short distance. I don't know if they could use a hydrogen balloon to provide some lift to make it easier but winds are often high. Maybe they could attach parachutes and allow the bodies to be dragged down the mountain. Bodies could be cut up and brought down in pieces but families might object to these methods.

A Japanese team was assembled for the sole purpose of bringing a Japanese climbers body back from the death zone and they only managed to move it a short distance. I don't know if they could use a hydrogen balloon to provide some lift to make it easier but winds are often high. Maybe they could attach parachutes and allow the bodies to be dragged down the mountain. Bodies could be cut up and brought down in pieces but families might object to these methods.
Ultimately the Japanese team squeezed lemon on the body and ate it over the course of three meals, carried the body down in their stomachs and through customs and painstakingly reassembled it in Osaka where it has been a diet member for the last decade.

Even cutting a frozen body is a monumental task, depending on how it came to rest and what the conditions are that season and that day. It's possible that it's easier to simply drag down the whole thing.

renowned skier and wingsuit convert shane mcconkey met the same fate

We use software developed in Switzerland. At one point updates stopped and we got a message that one of the two developers died in winged suit flying accident. Not your typical monday morning email message!

I hope he was wearing a go pro and captured his final moments of life digitally. I will kill to see it.

He was definitely wearing cameras and had others in the crew recording video as they did on all of his jumps. It's how they paid for the expeditions. Who knows whether they will ever be shown. It might be a couple of years but I suspect they will be eventually.

I guess as a father, I don't understand how risking your life, for the sake of a thrill, is justifiable. I don't know if this man has children but he for sure has family, and I see these kind of death defying thrill seeking adventures are not justifiable if you purposely put yourself in harm's way and risk death and leaving people behind.
It is selfish, no doubt. Its all about seeking the personal challenge and anything personal is about self so I won't deny that.

I was a thrill seeker in my younger years. Not to that extent but to an extent that made most of my family terrified they might lose me in an accident one day.

As I said upthread and as shown in the tv show "The Science of Adrenaline"(?) society has historically needed guys like that and this has evolved out of necessity.

think of how little exploration and things like finding the first guy to try fly flight, go to the moon, scout out a new territory amongst dangerous tribal neighbours, would never happen if you did not have amongst you the guys who were not able to put fear aside and willing to take on the task that put their lives at risk.

Even cutting a frozen body is a monumental task, depending on how it came to rest and what the conditions are that season and that day. It's possible that it's easier to simply drag down the whole thing.

As you explained before, it is a narrow ridge they need to traverse as well as narrow trails on the sides of steep slopes. The body would slide off to one side requiring leading and trailing people. Simply taking one step is extremely exerting. Dragging anything is nearly impossible as it requires much more oxygen. I think the Japanese had a crew of ten trying to bring the body back and gave up after a short distance.

Back