The Birth of an EU Army

LOL at the EU having an "Army." So they bought a crate of rifles and a few boxes of ammo is what you're saying.

Here it is, Merkel's EU army

Iraq_ISIS_Abu_Wahe_2941936b.jpg

LOL at the EU having an "Army." So they bought a crate of rifles and a few boxes of ammo is what you're saying.

Nothing as drastic as that , they're putting together a commission to look into the potential ramifications of buying some rifles and ammo .

Damn Europeans, you are fucking dumb to allow this.

You just became states of a federal government, and you don't even know it.

And it doesn't end there, because as I think we both know, the EU will eventually become a state to the even larger global government down the road. Only then will the consolidation be complete.

wonder how this new progress patrol will stack up against a couple guards tank armies...

the UK is by far the largest military contributor in the EU (or to NATO from Europe)....

if anything, it's the one aspect of Brexit that barely gets mentioned, how Europe is going to defend itself if the UK and US don't take charge....

the UK is by far the largest military contributor in the EU (or to NATO from Europe)....

if anything, it's the one aspect of Brexit that barely gets mentioned, how Europe is going to defend itself if the UK and US don't take charge....

Well, now you know how Europe is going to defend itself - with a continental army. The US and the UK were throwing their resources to the EU and now the EU wants more autonomy. France and Germany are more than capable of taking care of security measures.

Well, now you know how Europe is going to defend itself - with a continental army. The US and the UK were throwing their resources to the EU and now the EU wants more autonomy. France and Germany are more than capable of taking care of security measures.
I disagree
Germany's military is laughably bad, the equipment is extremely outdated and much of it doesn't even work. For reference, I served for three years on a joint USA/Bundeswehr base in Germany as late as 2013

And the EU's contribution to NATO would suggest otherwise

I disagree
Germany's military is laughably bad, the equipment is extremely outdated and much of it doesn't even work. For reference, I served for three years on a joint USA/Bundeswehr base in Germany as late as 2013

Indeed, thats why they are making this continental army which will allow Germany and France to pool their resources.

I disagree

They haven't had to invest money on research and development, because they were getting weapons from the US during Cold War. You think that Germany and France are that technologically backwards to not be able to produce their own war machines? The EU will already have nukes, aircraft carriers, guided missiles, and shield systems. They can easily invest more on tanks and airplanes, especially since America and Russia run shit with those two.

I don't see the EU army being weak at all in a couple of years.

I don't see the EU army being weak at all in a couple of years.
I take it that's a metaphorical "couple of years" , if they do anything It will probably just be to overstretch some existing units with additional roles and paste some lame looking EU insignia on them .

I disagree

The British are in a worse state. Germany is an industrial powerhouse, they can modernize extremely quickly (as they did thin the past).

The British are in a worse state. Germany is an industrial powerhouse, they can modernize extremely quickly (as they did thin the past).
i'm not saying they can't.....but they sure as hell haven't yet

that could just be to US/NATO participation, but i'm not entirely sure.

The German military, right now, wouldn't even be remotely close to stopping Turkey or Russia from attempting anything. Which, perhaps they're relying on the more eastern/central EU countries that DO contribute the required minimum to NATO, as they are essentially a buffer zone

Indeed, thats why they are making this continental army which will allow Germany and France to pool their resources.
which is fine if you trust the current capabilities of the French military
having personally served w/ them twice, I don't.

When you spend a year in Afghanistan w/ representatives from 25+ foreign nations militaries, you learn pretty quickly how well they operate, what equipment they use, is it reliable, etc....

Once you get past the UK in the EU/Europe area, it gets AWFULLY suspect unless we're counting Turkey
edit: the Danes/Norwegians etc. aren't TOO bad but they're relatively tiny in comparison

To pooling won't be enough for the rest of Europe that has proven to be a bunch of moochers when it comes to NATO.

i'm not saying they can't.....but they sure as hell haven't yet

that could just be to US/NATO participation, but i'm not entirely sure.

The German military, right now, wouldn't even be remotely close to stopping Turkey or Russia from attempting anything. Which, perhaps they're relying on the more eastern/central EU countries that DO contribute the required minimum to NATO, as they are essentially a buffer zone

The EU has stronger maritime forces than the others in the region, but the ground forces need improvement and they seem to be doing it now with this proposal. I'm sure the buffer zones can protect the interior for a while as troops organize and carriers start dropping missiles from the mediterranean. Turkey has numbers, but it would get wrecked against a united western and southern europe

Damn Europeans, you are fucking dumb to allow this.

You just became states of a federal government, and you don't even know it.

Why is that? Cause we no longer want to take part in US wars? I hope this will spell end to NATO altogether. EU army to protect EU interests. If your country wants to fuck about with NK and Russia - by all means. But you wont drag us no longer into your conflicts.

Back