The END of the G.O.A.T. Debate

TheWalrusNo9

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The Greatest of All Time for a sport takes into consideration the following.....

1. Peak

- All athletes have a "Peak". In traditional sports its their best season(s). For fighters it is a dominant streak of fights. A time they looked completely unstoppable.

Examples:

- Jordan's 1992-1993 season
- Tom Brady's 2007 season
- Muhamad Ali from 1964-1967
- Fedor 2003-2009

2. Accomplishments

- The hardware earned. MVPs, Rings, Belts, Trophies, etc....

Examples:

- Bill Russels 11 rings
- Henri Richard 11 Stanley Cups
- Jack Niklaus 18 Major wins

3. Longevity

- How long did the athlete stay at the top or close to it?

Examples: None Needed

4. Unbelievable Feats/Wow Moments/Shockers/Whatever the fuck else you wanna call the "it" factor some athletes have

- Those plays, combos, subs, dunks, catches, etc. that you didn't even think were possible.

Examples:

- Ali KO Foreman
- Anderson dismantling of Griffin
- Jordans rock the baby dunk
- Wilt's 100 points

5. Clean and didn't cheat

- If an athlete cheats or gets popped for steroids they are out of the G.O.A.T. discussion. It isn't debatable.

NOW FOR THE MMA PORTION.....

What fighters are top 5 (no order) in each section?

PEAK

Fedor - Fought best HWs of his generation and was undefeated for 10years. Beat fighters at their own strengths. Dominated a division above is natural weight. Had elite finishing ability anywhere the fight went.

Anderson - Most UFC title defenses in a deep weight class. Made peope look dumb lke no other fighter ever has.

GSP - Absolutely dominated his opponents from a tactical aspect.

Conor - Never has a fighter shined as bright so fast. Only person to have to active titles and KO'd the best FW (at the time) ever in 12 seconds. Moved up and KO'd a top 5 LW of all time without even breaking a sweat. Say whatever you want about his personality, but he is a freak.

Jon Jones - Most naturally gifted athlete in MMA. Not in terms of explosion and muscles, but in terms of his ability to learn and apply any technique. He picks up wrestling, judo, BJJ and all the forms of striking faster than anyone I've ever seen.

Accomplishments

Fedor, Anderson, GSP, DJ & Jones

Longevity

Fedor, Anderson, GSP, DJ & Aldo

Unbelievable Feats/Wow Moments/Shockers/Whatever the fuck else you wanna call the "it" factor some athletes have

Anderson's dismantling of Griffin

GSP coming back and beating he MW champ like he did

Conor holding two titles simultaneously after KOing Aldo and Eddie in the brutal fashion he did

Fedor going 10 years without losing a round

Jones tear through the LHW division at its pinnacle. The gauntlet he went through was the hardest any fighter has.

Clean and didn't cheat

Fedor, GSP, Aldo, Conor & DJ

ONLY FEDOR AND GSP ARE IN ALL 5!!!!!!!!!

NOW FOR THE UNDENIABLE, IRREFUTABLE and FINAL ANSWER TO GOAT DISCUSSION.......

1805-fedor_throne.jpg

GSP was a razor thin second place.

TLDR

P4P it's GSP and it's not even debatable.

In reality (ignoring p4p bullshit) Fedor is the GOAT. The real GOAT has to be a HW.

Yea except Fedor's "longevity" has been terrible to watch.

I get Henri has his name scribbled on the mug a bunch of times but if he's ever been in a conversation debating the greatest pucker of all time it was at a Richard family reunion.

True gentleman though.

Anderson - Most UFC title defenses in a deep weight class. Made peope look dumb lke no other fighter ever has.

that's wrong

There will never be an end to the Greatest of All Time debate as long as MMA continues as a sport. The only way we can wrap that one up is if MMA suddenly stops.

Fedor refused to fight in the UFC & never fought under USADA.​
"I'm waiting for the right heavyweight to move up" - JBJ, popped​
"I stay in my category. JBJ too big" Anderson Silva, popped
"Errr I'm closer to 155 then 185" - GSP when Anderson ruled
Then GSP turned around and was 2nd in line for Bisping
"TJ Killishaw?!?! I want Ray Borg or I quit!!!" - DJ

000d29c8-800.jpg

The Greatest of All Time for a sport takes into consideration the following.....

1. Peak

- All athletes have a "Peak". In traditional sports its their best season(s). For fighters it is a dominant streak of fights. A time they looked completely unstoppable.

Examples:

- Fedor 2003-2009

2. Accomplishments

Examples:

- Bill Russels 11 rings

3. Longevity

4. Unbelievable Feats/Wow Moments/Shockers/Whatever the fuck else you wanna call the "it" factor some athletes have

- Those plays, combos, subs, dunks, catches, etc. that you didn't even think were possible.

Examples:

- Ali KO Foreman
- Wilt's 100 points

- If an athlete cheats or gets popped for steroids they are out of the G.O.A.T. discussion. It isn't debatable.

PEAK

Fedor - Fought best HWs of his generation and was undefeated for 10years. Beat fighters at their own strengths. Dominated a division above is natural weight. Had elite finishing ability anywhere the fight went.

Conor - Never has a fighter shined as bright so fast. Only person to have to active titles and KO'd the best FW (at the time) ever in 12 seconds. Moved up and KO'd a top 5 LW of all time without even breaking a sweat. Say whatever you want about his personality, but he is a freak.

Jon Jones - Most naturally gifted athlete in MMA. Not in terms of explosion and muscles, but in terms of his ability to learn and apply any technique. He picks up wrestling, judo, BJJ and all the forms of striking faster than anyone I've ever seen.

Accomplishments

Longevity

Unbelievable Feats/Wow Moments/Shockers/Whatever the fuck else you wanna call the "it" factor some athletes have

Conor holding two titles simultaneously after KOing Aldo and Eddie in the brutal fashion he did

Jones tear through the LHW division at its pinnacle. The gauntlet he went through was the hardest any fighter has.

Clean and didn't cheat

1805-fedor_throne.jpg

Fedor is like some 5 foot basketball player from the 1800's that couldn't even be competitive in the juniors today.

"The GOAT" he will never be.

You can't make people accept your version of greatness, since its a subjective point of view relating to the single viewers experience. Even thou i have Fedor as the greatest in MMA, many don't even have him as top 3-5. And i absolutely accept that. That's why these (GOAT) list arguments are 100% meaningless.

Yea except Fedor's "longevity" has been terrible to watch.

Longevity AT THE TOP..... Not this old shell of Fedor we have been seeing.

Fedor was a top tier HW for 10 years (2000-2010). After 2010 and ESPECIALLY since 2015 Fedor is clearly a shell of his former greatness.

Gsp's round winning streak is more impressive when considering that Fedor fought such low quality competition so often, and GSP fought the best in his division everytime (except Hardy).

Gsp's longevity is also more inpressive. At 36 gsp won mw belt. At 36 Fedor got flatlined by Hendo.

Advantage GSP.

There will never be an end to the Greatest of All Time debate as long as MMA continues as a sport. The only way we can wrap that one up is if MMA suddenly stops.

I just ended it. Didn't you read?

Fedor refused to fight in the UFC & never fought under USADA.
"I'm waiting for the right heavyweight to move up" - JBJ, popped
"I stay in my category. JBJ too big" Anderson Silva, popped
"Errr I'm closer to 155 then 185" - GSP when Anderson ruled
Then GSP turned around and was 2nd in line for Bisping
"TJ Killishaw?!?! I want Ray Borg or I quit!!!" - DJ

000d29c8-800.jpg

All valid except the Fedor part. McGregor is praised for standing up against UFC and getting his, but people try to crucify Fedor for same thing.

GOAT is subjective, and Fedor is the Greatest ever of all time for the fighters community.
UFC hall of fames, UFC champions and divisional all time greatest already said that Fedor is the greatest fighter they ever seen.

Gsp's round winning streak is more impressive when considering that Fedor fought such low quality competition so often, and GSP fought the best in his division everytime (except Hardy).

Gsp's longevity is also more inpressive. At 36 gsp won mw belt. At 36 Fedor got flatlined by Hendo.

Advantage GSP.

That is definitely a debatable point!

1. Peak

Examples:

- Fedor 2003-2009

2. Accomplishments

Examples:

- Bill Russels 11 rings

3. Longevity

Examples:

- Ali KO Foreman
- Wilt's 100 points

PEAK

Accomplishments

Longevity

Clean and didn't cheat

1805-fedor_throne.jpg

Can we discuss something real, like dragons?

Back