1990s Legend Royce Gracie Trashes Modern Fighters

Do you agree with Gracie?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Q. Which MMA do you like more, this MMA, or the MMA in the nineties?

A. Back then it was no, ah, hmm — it was no bullshit. In a street fight there is no time-limit, no weight division, you don’t choose your opponent. So today I see fighters complain ‘Oh my god, my opponent’s a pound over the weight!’ — Really?

(This gets some laughs in the room, from the two guys in the office we crashed. One of whom I now think is Mike Johnson, of recent Conor McGregor fame).

‘He didn’t make weight, he’s a pound over, I don’t wanna fight him.’ C’mon man. That’s why I say all the time, somebody walk down the street, pinch your girlfriend, your wife on the buns, what’re you gonna do? You’re gonna come up to him and ask him, ‘Excuse me, how much do you weigh? What belt are you?' Sorry, he’s not in 'my division,' I’m not going to beat him up’. C’mon man.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/11...y-really-bad-in-the-past-20-years-bjj-mma-ufc

Modern day MMA fighters are way too much for Gracie.

Just being realistic here.

I think royce taking a shot at mighty mouse dj johnson.

DJ would beat the guys Royce was fighting during the early UFC era minus maybe the couple guys that had actual skill like Shamrock and Severn.

Lucky for him, there are rules and a referee in the Octagon...

2rdyhhw.jpg

Royce is just mad because his family is irrelevant these days.

A. Back then it was no, ah, hmm — it was no bullshit. In a street fight there is no time-limit, no weight division, you don’t choose your opponent. So today I see fighters complain ‘Oh my god, my opponent’s a pound over the weight!’ — Really?

(This gets some laughs in the room, from the two guys in the office we crashed. One of whom I now think is Mike Johnson, of recent Conor McGregor fame).

‘He didn’t make weight, he’s a pound over, I don’t wanna fight him.’ C’mon man. That’s why I say all the time, somebody walk down the street, pinch your girlfriend, your wife on the buns, what’re you gonna do? You’re gonna come up to him and ask him, ‘Excuse me, how much do you weigh? What belt are you?' Sorry, he’s not in 'my division,' I’m not going to beat him up’. C’mon man.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/11...y-really-bad-in-the-past-20-years-bjj-mma-ufc

when has anyone ever said this?

That might be correct, when you fight spoonfed unprofessional opponents that were chosen for you by the officials in a tourney built around you and your family.

There's been somewhat of a tradeoff between general skill and toughness over the years, but the more the Gracie family talks about stuff like this just makes them seem bitter

He’s the same guy that thinks you don’t need striking either, just Gracie jujitsu.

He's talking about the mentality of the fighters from the early days of mma compared to today...and he"s absolutely right.

Today's fighters are absolute pussies compared to the sports forefathers.

no time limit results in more boring fights than there are now

I'm not in favor of that, either.
But that wasn't the core of his statement. His statement concerns people that choose their opponents or are point-fighters, because point-fighting doesn't work in real-life. That's why he was bringing up time-limits.

The core of his statement was that the mentality of the fighters has changed, and he's perfectly right about that.

He is not saying that there shouldn't be time-limits in UFC fights.

He's old school. Football players from 20-30 years ago will say the same type of thing, while admitting that players today are more athletic.

Back