First human head transplant scheduled for December (long read warming)

I know it's China, but I don't think they're so barbaric that they're going to snatch sometime off the streets. I'm imagining that someone who is brain dead and going to be removed from life support already. I highly doubt it's coming from a living human.

It would need to be biologically alive, as in having normal organ and cell function. Could be brain dead. Unless he is also going to reverse biological death, in addition to the head transplant.

It would need to be biologically alive, as in having normal organ and cell function. Could be brain dead. Unless he is also going to reverse biological death, in addition to the head transplant.

Yeah, there was probably some serious effort finding matches.

What if the head rejects the body? I can see a lot of transgender doing this surgery. Perhaps we can lie and say it was successful and hope many transgender will apply for the surgery :D

I honestly hope, as morbid as it sounds, that this works. The line about taking the head off of a cancer filled body, or someone with severe muscle deterioration really would be a miracle "cure". Also, at one point a heart transplant seemed medically impossible, and now look today.

He did a Ted talk. He also claims to have cut off a monkey’s head and attached it to a new body, though they did not connect the spinal cord. And the only proof is a photograph. He’s against peer-reviewed research and seems to think he should be free to chop and attach heads at will. I feel sorry for his Chinese victim, er, patient. I think the guy is a nut.

He is about as much of a scientist as Jack the Ripper was.

I hope they videotape the procedure.

Yeah, except people weren't begging to be part of Mengele's operations.

I'm sure some of them were after the SS guards were done with them.

I just think that China is primed to become the center of such "human experiments" without giving a shit, in hopes that they will be able to become the scientific center of civilization. They already have a history of organ harvesting, and such.

I just think that China is primed to become the center of such "human experiments" without giving a shit, in hopes that they will be able to become the scientific center of civilization. They already have a history of organ harvesting, and such.

I would also prefer to see these things not happen in shady jurisdictions with poor oversight and regulation. But ethics and trials do limit things such that many people who would volunteer for an unproven "Hail Mary" at survival are 100% guaranteed to die in the time that passes before they could have a chance to participate in trials or experimental surgeries. It's a tricky balance, but if someone can have their request to be euthanized approved, I figure you may as well let them volunteer to try a head transplant if they want, provided there's at least some scientific basis to hope for a measure of success with the operation.

Last edited:

It's pretty hard to imagine anything worse than Mengele's idea of "science." Cutting off arms and sewing them onto the other side of the body just to see what would happen, shit like that.

Can we put the head of Demetrious Johnson on a normal body and have him fight Jon Jones? I've got questions and stuff.
Done.

a303_001b.jpg

It's pretty hard to imagine anything worse than Mengele's idea of "science." Cutting off arms and sewing them onto the other side of the body just to see what would happen, shit like that.

We could make exponential leaps if we could do things just to see what would happen, I just can't think of a way to do it that isn't horrific or wouldn't require an enormous leap in technology from where we are now. Imagine, for instance, that we had the ability to grow a human body from a cell, and it didn't have consciousness and couldn't feel pain. The things we could learn would be immeasurable just doing things to see what would happen.

Human decency has always been an obstacle to progress.

I've discussed this with friends, and one counterpoint is that limits inspire ingenuity.

I'm having a hard time hitting "post reply" because this is such a loathsome line of thought, but here goes.

They should start with something easier. Like penis transplant. Can you imagine a Chinese dude packing Mandingo heat?

Best scenario: lives for a month and dies. We advance science and get better.
Worst scenario: Dies on table.

You're thinking really small picture.

Best case scenario: complete, utter failure

Worst case scenario: any form of success or advancement that takes a step towards making this possible in the future.

Back