So is The Biggest Loser officially done?

I'm sure some of them probably did just go home and pig out.

But here's the kicker for me:

"Their metabolisms had slowed to the point where they were burning hundreds of calories a day less than other people of their new, reduced, size."

The people conducting the study must have had a way to measure the metabolic rate of the Bigger Loser contestants vs people who lost weight in a more conventional fashion.

Have you ever actually watched The Biggest Loser, or more importantly, read any of the allegations about what goes on behind the scenes? It's not normal and it's not standard weight loss protocol.

Other people of thier new size that aren’t fat fucks have a faster metabolism naturally I’m sure. So no that is no supprise what so ever that when they stopped working out their natural slow metabolism went back to being slow. Which is why they were fat in the first place.

Take my example again , but let’s move it around a little.

The fat fucks are the civics, over flowing thier tanks all the time.

They go on the show and a corvette engine is put in, now it’s burning more fuel and they are putting less in. The tanks aren’t overflowing anymore.

They return home and take out the corvette engine and put the civic engine back in, but keep putting the amount of fuel in for the corvette engine.

Now the tanks overflowing again, are you supprised mother fucker?

Jesus, it’s not a hard concept.

Maybe a better conclusion is that not only do they have a low metabolism from not moving around much, but they are fucking stupid too

Other people of thier new size that aren’t fat fucks have a faster metabolism naturally I’m sure. So no that is no supprise what so ever that when they stopped working out their natural slow metabolism went back to being slow. Which is why they were fat in the first place.

Take my example again , but let’s move it around a little.

The fat fucks are the civics, over flowing thier tanks all the time.

They go on the show and a corvette engine is put in, now it’s burning more fuel and they are putting less in. The tanks aren’t overflowing anymore.

They return home and take out the corvette engine and put the civic engine back in, but keep putting the amount of fuel in for the corvette engine.

Now the tanks overflowing again, are you supprised mother fucker?

Jesus, it’s not a hard concept.

Maybe a better conclusion is that not only do they have a low metabolism from not moving around much, but they are fucking stupid too

Why are you resistant to the possibility that techniques and processes the coaches on the show used had a negative effect on these people's bodies?

I used to love this show but it ended up being a giant advertisement.

Plus, i got really annoyed with the typical dramatic cutaways. It got to be such a distraction.

Why are you resistant to the possibility that techniques and processes the coaches on the show used had a negative effect on these people's bodies?

Because they were fat to begin with, so they already had a slow metabolism they weren’t will powered enough to put the right amount of fuel in to begin with.

If you took normal people as a “control” so to speak and put them on the show with the others, then they went home and turned fat maybe, maybe then would you have an argument.

But that’s not the case.

Because he wants to justify being a miserable cunt who hates people and you're challenging his primary justification for all that

Because they were fat to begin with, so they already had a slow metabolism they weren’t will powered enough to put the right amount of fuel in to begin with.

If you took normal people as a “control” so to speak and put them on the show with the others, then they went home and turned fat maybe, maybe then would you have an argument.

But that’s not the case.

It's not MY argument. It's the National Institute of Health's argument.

Besides, we've long known that extreme weight loss that involves very low calorie diets over a prolonged period of time can damage a person's metabolism. This is nothing new.

Have you ever actually watched The Biggest Loser, or more importantly, read any of the allegations about what goes on behind the scenes? It's not normal and it's not standard weight loss protocol.

True, but it could be a good starting point.

Just because someone loses alot of weight in a short amount of time doesn't mean they're doomed to regain it back and there's nothing they can do about it.

I know people that have lost over a hundred pounds without ever working out. Not even walking/jogging. They simpily analysed their diets, and removed bad foods and replaced them with good foods. They almost completely elimated sugar and salt from their diets, with the only exceptions being 'cheat' days which they allowed themselves a few times a month as a reward for reaching their weight loss goals. Two pounds every two weeks.

And they've reached their weight loss goals and kept it off for years now.

In short, the findings by the NIH are bullshit.

It's not MY argument. It's the National Institute of Health's argument.

Besides, we've long known that extreme weight loss that involves very low calorie diets over a prolonged period of time can damage a person's metabolism. This is nothing new.
So what's the argument here?
They tested their metabolism AFTER the people quit eating healthy and exercising. Well no shit it's lower.

True, but it could be a good starting point.

Just because someone loses alot of weight in a short amount of time doesn't mean they're doomed to regain it back and there's nothing they can do about it.

I know people that have lost over a hundred pounds without ever working out. Not even walking/jogging. They simpily analysed their diets, and removed bad foods and replaced them with good foods. They almost completely elimated sugar and salt from their diets, with the only exceptions being 'cheat' days which they allowed themselves a few times a month as a reward for reaching their weight loss goals. Two pounds every two weeks.

And they've reached their weight loss goals and kept it off for years now.

In short, the findings by the NIH are bullshit.

Well what you've just described there is HEALTHY weight loss. Two pounds in two weeks is one pound a week.

The people on The Biggest Loser were sometimes putting up a 20 lb loss in a week, especially in the early going.

Some of the contestants said that Bob and Jillian had them on 1200 calorie diets with four to six hours of exercise a day. These are people who were in some cases over 300 lbs. This kind of approach to weight loss is pretty much the opposite of what you're talking about with your friends.

So what's the argument here?
They tested their metabolism AFTER the people quit eating healthy and exercising. Well no shit it's lower.

No, I don't see anything to indicate that these people quit eating healthy or exercising. You just made that up, because their diet or exercise habits are not mentioned at all in what I posted.

2lbs a week is normal for fairly healthy to slightly overweight people.. No shit a 400lb fat ass can lose 20lbs in a week if he stops eating so much trash.. and actually moves a bit rather then eating potato chips and watching netflix all week

But again pull up some study/institute that will change its mind again in a few years and pass it off as fact

Well what you've just described there is HEALTHY weight loss. Two pounds in two weeks is one pound a week.

The people on The Biggest Loser were sometimes putting up a 20 lb loss in a week, especially in the early going.

Some of the contestants said that Bob and Jillian had them on 1200 calorie diets with four to six hours of exercise a day. These are people who were in some cases over 300 lbs. This kind of approach to weight loss is pretty much the opposite of what you're talking about with your friends.

I think we can come to common ground here.

This quote left a bad taste in my mouth.. "The difficulty in keeping weight off reflects biology, not a pathological lack of willpower."

I believe if after the contestants were no longer losing weight they were given nutricians and dieticians, and not personal trainer drill sergeants, then not only would they have kept losing weight and achieving a healthy lifestyle.

Instead, after the show, they stopped losing weight, eventually reverted to their old habits, and gained all of it back and even more.

And that quote, without reading the entire study (and no one will), implies the whole damn thing was a waste of time and they were all doomed to gain it all back no matter what they did.

Nothing can be further from the truth. It is possible, it's been done before millions of times.

2lbs a week is normal for fairly healthy to slightly overweight people.. No shit a 400lb fat ass can lose 20lbs in a week if he stops eating so much trash.. and actually moves a bit rather then eating potato chips and watching netflix all week

But again pull up some study/institute that will change its mind again in a few years and pass it off as fact

When you consider that a consistent 20 lbs a week would be 80 pounds in a month, you realize that's actually a shitload of weight.

I had a friend who weighed 365 lbs. He was able to lose 100 lbs through diet and cycling. It took him six months to do it though, and even that is considered pretty fast to lose a hundred pounds, even for a heavy person. That's 16 pounds a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
at least they lost weight. standard weight loss protocol? but they did lose. did they die?

No, I don't see anything to indicate that these people quit eating healthy or exercising. You just made that up, because their diet or exercise habits are not mentioned at all in what I posted.
It specifically said they gained the weight back and many gained more. That was the entire reason for the study.
Edit: sorry, I thought you said weight wasn't mentioned.
But regardless, it's a given they quit exercising.

The fact that they got fat as fuck again does however.

Some of them got BIGGER than they were before.

You aren’t getting to 400lbs from 180 with a normal diet and excersice.

This quote left a bad taste in my mouth.. "The difficulty in keeping weight off reflects biology, not a pathological lack of willpower."

I believe if after the contestants were no longer losing weight they were given nutricians and dieticians, and not personal trainer drill sergeants, then not only would they have kept losing weight and achieving a healthy lifestyle.

Instead, after the show, they stopped losing weight, eventually reverted to their old habits, and gained all of it back and even more.

And that quote, without reading the entire study (and no one will), implies the whole damn thing was a waste of time and they were all doomed to gain it all back no matter what they did.

Nothing can be further from the truth. It is possible, it's been done before millions of times.

Their study actually proves it’s a lack of will power. But being that’s so captain obvious they’d get no clicks for that , so it wasn’t written that way.

If you are gaining weight and won’t eat less, that is by very definition the lack of will power.

It’s like that show”why do planes crash”
Never watched the show, but didn’t have too

Gravity mother f@cker that’s why planes crash

I don't think that anyone denies that it would still be POSSIBLE for these people to continue to lose weight/maintain their weight loss.

But I think the question surrounds the state of their metabolism. To go back to something I mentioned earlier, if it requires two hours of exercise a day and a 1000 calorie diet--I don't know that it does, but let's just say hypothetically--then okay, sure, it is POSSIBLE but we're talking about human beings here. That's kind of an unreasonable requirement.

Frankly, if that's what I had to do to stay thin, I'd probably just choose to be fat and happy instead of thin and miserable all the time. One time when I was losing weight I had to do a two-week stretch at 5 days of exercise per week and 1200 cals. It fucking sucked. There's no way I could sustain that as a lifestyle. I mean, the exercise is one thing, but the calorie deprivation is something else entirely. It made me moody, I didn't want to talk to anyone, I just walked around thinking about how fucking hungry I was.

at least they lost weight. standard weight loss protocol? but they did lose. did they die?

Any competent medical professional will tell you that there are healthy, and unhealthy, ways to lose weight.

Back