1990s Legend Royce Gracie Trashes Modern Fighters

Do you agree with Gracie?

• Total voters
He's completely right. Weight classes don't exist in nature, yet fighting does.

Royce is just mad because his family is irrelevant these days.
lol wat?

Roger Gracie is the ONEFc champ.
Neiman Gracie is 5-0 in Bellator.
Kron Gracie is destroying legends in Japan.

Royce is just mad because his family is irrelevant these days.

Rolles_Gracie_vs._Derrick_Mehmen.gif

I look for any opportunity to post that gif

I'm not in favor of that, either.
But that wasn't the core of his statement. His statement concerns people that choose their opponents or are point-fighters, because point-fighting doesn't work in real-life. That's why he was bringing up time-limits.

The core of his statement was that the mentality of the fighters has changed, and he's perfectly right about that.

He is not saying that there shouldn't be time-limits in UFC fights.

yea but in a street fight with no interference you can "point fight" but just tiring out your opponent and then beating them to shit which is essentially what royce did in some of his boring fights

Believe me he wouldn't be saying that if he had to fought Stipe, Overeem, Lesnar, Cain, etc getting his absolute shit pushed in. He's basically asking for all weight classes to be eliminated except HW and some top LHWs.

What he's saying essentially is that smaller fighters that are considered GOATs like Mighty Mouse or Floyd Mayweather in boxing don't even deserve to be professionals.

It is true in the sense that if weight classes didn't exist, like they don't in many other major sports, these guys could never hang with even a mediocre HW. But it would certainly include himself in that category in the modern day.

Shoulda fought Harold Howard then, eh?

Old school NHB/MMA was what it was, no reason to conflate it with modern day fighting (even if the Org shares the same name); so there's really no reason to compare guys, because you just end up shitting on one guy or another without context, while you paint in broad strokes.

That's why I started with that first statement, I don't think Royce would appreciate it, but it is what happens when you make gross generalizations.

There have been pros and cons to MMA evolution but he’s damn right about it breeding primadonnas.

Then again even he was one. Lmao

Only a select few are beyond reproach. There can only be one Sakuraba.

Last edited:
In his era it was skill vs size. It's one thing to tap out giants when they have no training. Totally different problem fighters face today. He still views the UFC as a street fight, too, which makes no sense. I'm pretty sure if someone pinched MM's wife he'd kick the shit out of them regardless of size.

He's completely right. Weight classes don't exist in nature, yet fighting does.

most confrontations between aggressive mammalian males do not lead to violet confrontations. they are mostly posturing contests or rituals so weight classes do exist in nature. and the smaller animal usually runs away before a confrontation becomes violent.

most confrontations between aggressive mammalian males do not lead to violet confrontations. they are mostly posturing contests or rituals so weight classes do exist in nature. and the smaller animal usually runs away before a confrontation becomes violent.

my cat would wreck the shit out of you

Kinda funny coming from the guy whose family was notorious for special rules situations.

Often though I wish MMA were run more like a regular sports league with a seasonal tournament and no belts. "This year these 8/16 guys are gonna contend for the title, theyre gonna fight once every four/three months and they can't whine about opponents. Top 4/8 get an automatic berth into the next years tournament while other fighters stay active through the year for the chance to qualify as an alternate or for the next years tournament."

yea but in a street fight with no interference you can "point fight" but just tiring out your opponent and then beating them to shit which is essentially what royce did in some of his boring fights

Fair point, but it's much harder to do than in a 3-round UFC fight.

Didn't even read what Royce said and still disagree with him. That dude and his whole family have some serious issues.

like if you are gonna fight in the street.. hold up bro, i need to cycle for 2 months. please!

I agree that Royce would be irrelevant these days. Current fighters are just way better than those early UFC fighters.
But he has a point with the all the "he is one pound bigger than me".

Ok, he was a juicer, like most everybody else those days.

He's talking about the mentality of the fighters from the early days of mma compared to today...and he"s absolutely right.

Today's fighters are absolute pussies compared to the sports forefathers.

This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard. It's one thing to fight some Rex Kwan Do shmuck that outweighs you by 30 pounds. It's entirely another to fight someone a weigh class higher with world class training in the most effective disciplines possible.

Royce got completely son'd by Matt Hughes. Imagine if he fought Yoel Romero.

The Gracies are so fucking delusional.

Rickson said he would beat Cain and Jones in no time limit matches in the present day.

Back