1990s Legend Royce Gracie Trashes Modern Fighters

Do you agree with Gracie?

• Total voters
Royce is just mad because his family is irrelevant these days.

Except many MMA fighters use BJJ, which...they helped spread in the States and the rest of the world...

Lucky for him, there are rules and a referee in the Octagon...

2rdyhhw.jpg

He also displayed much more courage then 90% of the guys today in this fight Matt pretty much broke his arm and he did not tap.

DJ would beat the guys Royce was fighting during the early UFC era minus maybe the couple guys that had actual skill like Shamrock and Severn.

Yeah definitely they couldn't beat up grown man who is the size of an elementary school student.

My dude you are crazy.

Stipe said it best. "How you gonna Jiu-Jitsu when I am punching you in the face?"

Gracie quit like 2-3 times from getting punched so bad.

Royce was one of the first fighters to demand special rules and time limits for a fight, when he fought Shamrock for a second time and escaped with a draw.

Yeah definitely they couldn't beat up grown man who is the size of an elementary school student.

My dude you are crazy.
No, they couldn't because half the guys Royce fought were complete bums compared to today's mixed martial artist.

Q. Which MMA do you like more, this MMA, or the MMA in the nineties?

A. Back then it was no, ah, hmm — it was no bullshit. In a street fight there is no time-limit, no weight division, you don’t choose your opponent. So today I see fighters complain ‘Oh my god, my opponent’s a pound over the weight!’ — Really?

(This gets some laughs in the room, from the two guys in the office we crashed. One of whom I now think is Mike Johnson, of recent Conor McGregor fame).

‘He didn’t make weight, he’s a pound over, I don’t wanna fight him.’ C’mon man. That’s why I say all the time, somebody walk down the street, pinch your girlfriend, your wife on the buns, what’re you gonna do? You’re gonna come up to him and ask him, ‘Excuse me, how much do you weigh? What belt are you?' Sorry, he’s not in 'my division,' I’m not going to beat him up’. C’mon man.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/11...y-really-bad-in-the-past-20-years-bjj-mma-ufc

Modern day fighters also actually know how to fit. Not just do one discipline.

Lucky for him, there are rules and a referee in the Octagon...

2rdyhhw.jpg
I showed my boss that fight a few years back because he was a big Hughes fan after seeing that not so much. He was actually pissed Matt was teeing off on him like that instead of going for a sub.

In his era it was skill vs size. It's one thing to tap out giants when they have no training. Totally different problem fighters face today. He still views the UFC as a street fight, too, which makes no sense. I'm pretty sure if someone pinched MM's wife he'd kick the shit out of them regardless of size.
To be fair, if Francis Ngannou pinched MM's wife, the only thing he could do for retribution would involve a firearm.

I showed my boss that fight a few years back because he was a big Hughes fan after seeing that not so much. He was actually pissed Matt was teeing off on him like that instead of going for a sub.

And here I was pissed at the ref for stopping it.

I don't agree with him because it's a closer matched game today. There's no sneaky style to come along and dominate like he did.

With closely matched skill sets weight divisions are relevant.

That being said, much respect for Royce. Always a fan.

Fighters now are better.

Fights then may have been more interesting.

When did the Gracies become the low-hanging fruit of MMA? All of these fighters/coaches/gym owners owe their livelihood to the Gracies.

Back