Fantasy Football Dilemma: I changed my roster after 1PM

Should I be able to adjust my football roster after the deadline?

• Total voters

Jon Stark

King in the North
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Long story short, my son is being treated in hospital and I'm on partial medical leave (working minimal) and every Sunday I review my roster in the morning and make changes. Due to our family scheduling, I missed this typical review as my son was upset during this time and needed full care and ultimately did not make a roster change (nominal Rod Smith for Tarik Cohen) I did not want to get any sympathy.

Things went well and I kept quiet. However, I ended up being victimized by Newton/Mac last night and lost a 50 point margin. Having Smith in for Cohen would have won me the week which was my planned move.

I am commish and have told my players that compassionate circumstances/pre-set rosters changes are allowed so the precedent has been set, EG someone has a death in the family, emergency, etc. I feel that compassionate circumstances criteria have been met.

What's your take?

No, how is that fair to the person who beat you? Especially if that change costs them the win. You wouldnt make that change if it would cost you the win. Even if that was the original planned move as you say.

No... You have all week to set your lineup. I get things happen but you need to make time for it, or except your fantasy fate.

My dawg ROD SMITH finna lead me to the ship.

No. The fantasy gods have made no claims of being just, and care not about your catastrophe

How are others supposed to know who you intended to start? I would quit my league if the commish switched starters after the games were played

TBH I can't believe someone would even ask this

How are others supposed to know who you intended to start? I would quit my league if the commish switched starters after the games were played

We have compassionate criteria for after hour roster moves. Medical emergency, car accident, etc so the precedent is there. The premise is based on trust. Most managers trust each other and wouldn't lie to steal a W.

I've gotten mixed reviews from my managers.

Yea, you sound like someone with little tolerance for personal hardships and fantasy football is more than anything. That's sad.

No. The fantasy gods have made no claims of being just, and care not about your catastrophe
That's true to an extent but why should I be punished because of a personal issue when the league stipulates changes can be made for "compassionate circumstances"?

No... You have all week to set your lineup. I get things happen but you need to make time for it, or except your fantasy fate.
That's not true. Game time decisions happen every Sunday that effect weekly roster plays. Look a few weeks ago with Zach Ertz. The notion "you have all week" is extremely weak.

That's not true. Game time decisions happen every Sunday that effect weekly roster plays. Look a few weeks ago with Zach Ertz. The notion "you have all week" is extremely weak.

I'm a FF nut. I check my lineup damn near 3 times every day. If I can't make it to my phone, computer etc.. to change my lineup, I'm willing to except my fate.

I'm a FF nut. I check my lineup damn near 3 times every day. If I can't make it to my phone, computer etc.. to change my lineup, I'm willing to except my fate.
That's fine but if you had an emergency or a hardship involving a family member where you couldn't get to your phone in time, would that not been compassionate reasoning and acceptable for the move? Remember, we have a league rule where compassionate circumstances can be used for after hour changes. The league is aware.

That's fine but if you had an emergency or a hardship involving a family member where you couldn't get to your phone in time, would that not been compassionate reasoning and acceptable for the move? Remember, we have a league rule where compassionate circumstances can be used for after hour changes. The league is aware.

If your league has that rule already stated then that would be different. I've never played in a league with exceptions so I can't really relate. Technically you should be fine if the rules state your allowed that exception. I totally get emergencies can happen, I've just been lucky enough not to have had that happen to me yet.

TS is just trying to eat a W like his boy JaJameis

Yea, you sound like someone with little tolerance for personal hardships and fantasy football is more than anything. That's sad.

You're the one who cares enough to:

1. Be a league commish
2. Come up with bylaws for "compassionate circumstances"
3. Start a thread to try and steal a W

I play in one or two leagues a year for fun/a little money, but if somebody changed the lineup after games were played and it resulted in a win (especially when it involves 2 fantasy scrub backup RB's), then I wouldn't bother playing in that league anymore

Go ahead and make the switch, clearly you want to cheat and aren't getting the responses you wanted

If your league has that rule already stated then that would be different. I've never played in a league with exceptions so I can't really relate. Technically you should be fine if the rules state your allowed that exception. I totally get emergencies can happen, I've just been lucky enough not to have had that happen to me yet.
Here is how the rule is worded. All managers agreed to the rule. This is the first time it's been used in 4 seasons.

Compassionate Circumstances Criteria Clause:

Management and changes to the roster of any team after designated roster deadlines will be allowed if specific criteria are met which include but is not limited to.

1. Death or serious bodily injury. (Commish/IC will take over roster immediately if manager death occurs and roster best possible team for remainder of season)
2. Death or serious bodily injury of an immediate family member.
3. Car Accident or Travel Delay which prevented you from making a roster move.
4. Personal Hardships or caring for a family member or loved one.
5. Other areas that require compassionate circumstances (Please specify)

Then a blurb on trust and good sportsmanship being key, not abuse the rule, etc.

You're the one who cares enough to:

1. Be a league commish
2. Come up with bylaws for "compassionate circumstances"
3. Start a thread to try and steal a W

I play in one or two leagues a year for fun/a little money, but if somebody changed the lineup after games were played and it resulted in a win (especially when it involves 2 fantasy scrub backup RB's), then I wouldn't bother playing in that league anymore

Go ahead and make the switch, clearly you want to cheat and aren't getting the responses you wanted
I am the commish and I did and I have a waiting list and am starting a 3rd league next year so I'm not worried.

Back