The Best Basslines Ever!

I dunno if these are considered 'bass lines' as the bass for these songs seem to be the source of which the songs are built around

Hall and Oates - Maneater
The Knack - My Sharona
Tool - Schism

The combined musical talent that these 3 men possess is off the charts. Also Billy Sheehan with his bass/guitar sound brings something new to this thread IMO.

Last edited:
I dunno if these are considered 'bass lines' as the bass for these songs seem to be the source of which the songs are built around

Hall and Oates - Maneater
The Knack - My Sharona
Tool - Schism
+10 for Hall & Oates

I know it's probably not cool to say so, but this is one of my very favourite basslines.

Dude that just died from Yes deserves a mention for his work in Roundabout

Dude that just died from Yes deserves a mention for his work in Roundabout

Pretty much any Yes song really... especially Long Distance Runaround

fuckin love that stone roses song.

Although the actual bassline Mani plays is not the hook people think of that's a sample but is still brilliant.

I love the ascending and descending bassline Mani plays in the full version of One Love starting about 3:45 in...

The demo of Breaking into Heaven is much more bass heavy, indeed it has the bassline that turned up on Ian Browns Can't See Me years latter...

First thing Mani recorded with Primal Scream that actually samples Can's Vitamin C mentioned earlier...

Great cover version(really just the lyrics) of 96 tears on the B-side with a new Mani bassline...

Last edited:
In a similar vein the funkiest piece of jazz fusion ever recorded...

I would very strongly recommend picking up the Primal Scream "live in Japan" import, that's IMHO the best showcase for Mani in the band.

This version of Pills lays waste to the studio one with his brutal bassline...

I struggle to think of a more energizing rock track than this Shoot Speed/Kill Light...

I'm getting more into how the bass integrates into the song and it's role within that song.

This one has a muscular tone that holds down the bottom but still has "enough notes" to be considered a good groove.

Computer speakers don't do it justice.

Sometimes you only need one note.

EDIT.............wandered too far off topic.

Surprised it took this long for level 42 to show up.

Last edited:
Mark Sandman only needed 2 strings

Awesome dub bass line from King Tubby

giphy.gif

Fucking love this tune man, great shout. So many artists sampled this one over the years.

A few more bass gems

this one when it gets going

love the opening to this one

a bit of upright bass

Back