Who was the best Seattle grunge singer?

CrimsonFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
These guys imo are just interesting.

None of them lived to see 60 (Be safe Eddie), all of them ridden with depression and substance abuse problems.. Despite being millionaires and huge celebrities.

And they all had incredible voices, and tons of personality.

So, the nominees

Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
Layne Staley (Alice in Chains)
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

My vote goes to Cobain. Dude had a crazy unique and powerful voice. He's also the only singer on the list that also had to play an instrument in every song, and did all the writinf.

Granted, because of this, Nirvana doesn't have near the composition skills and musical depth these other bands have.. But strictly talking singers I do believe he was one of the best to ever do it.

As much as I love Layne, Chris Cornell is the only one that gives me chills.

I think that's how most would see it.
I'm alot more of a Layne fan and like his versatility better but Chris had the power and range so he's hard to top. Although it wasn't with Soundgarden his singing on the first Audioslave album was amazing and did help me get out of the stuper I was in after Layne died. There's is Mark Lanegan too who'ed I'd put above Kurt and Eddie too.

Not that any of them suck, I enjoyed all their singing but I gotta put Layne on top. I have no idea how it boils down for me after that... maybe Eddie next? Too close if you ask me.

Honorable mention: Andrew Wood.

Eddie first because Pearl Jam is my favorite band. But then Chris.. then Layne.. then Kurt.

To be fair, Kurt had the grungiest voice of them all though.. but I don't think it qualifies as the best.

layne had the soul and the melody. together with cantrell, they were amazing.

cornell had power and range...but i felt it more inside when i listened to AIC.

Layne Staley for his range and power.

Chris Cornell for his timbre and tonality.

Kurt Cobain for his pain and vulnerability.

Eddie Vedder for his energy and storytelling.

Layne Staley for his range and power.

Chris Cornell for his timbre and tonality.

Kurt Cobain for his pain and vulnerability.

Eddie Vedder for his energy and storytelling.
Well said.

Andrew Wood for me, Eddie is terrible, a charlatan. Of the listed, Chris Cornell, who's best work was ironically in tribute to Wood. Kurt was pretty good too.

Layne followed by Mark Lanegan. Cantrell has good clean vocals, Cobain had a lot of power and emotion in his voice but could be whimsical when needed, Cornell had good clean range and a great scream/yell, Vedder could sing with emotion (especially somber emotion).
Layne had a very diverse voice but the emotion really shined through with him, you could feel every song. Mark Lanegan has a very deep and soulful voice, had good diversity too, not as powerful as Layne's, but I prefer his style to Cornell's and it's cleaner than Cobain's and Vedder's.

These guys imo are just interesting.

None of them lived to see 60 (Be safe Eddie), all of them ridden with depression and substance abuse problems.. Despite being millionaires and huge celebrities.

And they all had incredible voices, and tons of personality.

So, the nominees

Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
Layne Staley (Alice in Chains)
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

My vote goes to Cobain. Dude had a crazy unique and powerful voice. He's also the only singer on the list that also had to play an instrument in every song, and did all the writinf.

Granted, because of this, Nirvana doesn't have near the composition skills and musical depth these other bands have.. But strictly talking singers I do believe he was one of the best to ever do it.

Layne (although I always considered Alice in Chains metal and not grunge).

Chris Cornell by a longshot. In terms of music that we call grunge I prefer the music of Dinosaur Jr, but as far as grunge vocalists Cornell hands down was the best.

Cornell and Staley are the most talented voice wise.

Cobain is the most talented.

Back