Face Saver Head Gear - R2C or Rival?

vision1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy headgear but I've never used a face saver style so I'm feeling a bit lost.
I'm currently considering either R2C's Deluxe Full Face Geltech Sparring Headgear 2.0 OR Rival's RHGFS3.
Has anyone tried both of these and have a preference? I've read plenty of reviews on the R2C set but I haven't found much on Rival's. Pricing will be comparable for me but Rival may be slightly more due to R2C's black Friday sales. This will be strictly for boxing.

Thanks

Both are very similar, slight edge to Rival but for me, both to hard in their construction. If you can, save your pennys and go with Winning? Just kills everything out there.

I love the R2C Deluxe 2.0. I've never tried the Rival one however so I can't give you much of an insight into it.

Lets start off by asking, what is your price range and what are you looking for in a headgear?

Lets start off by asking, what is your price range and what are you looking for in a headgear?
I'd like to pay under $150 all in (taxes, shipping). I don't exactly have a budget but I'm a novice that has only sparred a few times and don't think it makes sense to be spending the big bucks yet. That being said, my health is important to me so headgear shouldn't be the equipment to cheap out on.

The only headgear I've ever used is an undersized, old, Cleto Reyes set so I don't have a good idea of what I like / don't like. Protection, visibility, and comfort is what I'm looking for and probably in that order.

3 choices for you really.

Well what i would do is save for the fg 2900 since you already have 150 saved. The price with shipping and everything is around 179-189 depending on exchange rate(USA). But be ready for headaches and delays. Takes 1-4 weeks.

UMA R9 is exactly around your price range at 150ish shipped. Custom winning like headgear. Takes 4-8 weeks.

Ring to cage Japanese headgear which u mentioned is in your prce range at 99$ and i believe shipping is included.

All headgears listed are modeled after the fg2900

Thanks!

What's the best site to purchase the FG 2900? I didn't see anything under $400ish CAD when I checked quickly a few days ago.

Thanks!

What's the best site to purchase the FG 2900? I didn't see anything under $400ish CAD when I checked quickly a few days ago.

If you are in Canada, and want something really protective, I would try Gorilla fight gear. I have the Tyro headgear and I really like it. It is modeled after the Winning FG2900 I believe and it's a tank. It's in syntec leather tho. I paid like 25$ on sale.

Or go with UMA as , from the reviews, its almost better than the Winning's.

R2C shipping is ridiculously expensive imo

So these are my options:

Winning: ~$240CAD + potential duty charges, 8-10 weeks delivery

UMA: ~$78CAD + shipping, maybe 2 weeks delivery (this is for the stock, not custom headgear)

R2C: ~$140CAD, maybe 2 weeks shipping (including free hand wraps)

Straight up, ignoring cost, who wins UMA vs. R2C?

If you're not getting the FG2900, I would recommend the UMA R9. The R9 is less sweaty than the FG2900 because of the material.

The only thing I can say about the visibility of a face saver is this - The R2C facesaver has excellent visibility however it is rather heavy, Myself and two of my professional fighter friends both use my R2C for sparring (because they're too cheap to buy their own) and they love it. I'd steer clear of Cleto face savers, but if you're now looking at an open face I can't really add anything to the conversation. I either spar no headgear or facesaver.

I have R2C's Japanese headgear and I don't like it. But I also don't like their C17s either. Feels too stiff for my liking. But their Facesaver is good.

If you are in Canada, and want something really protective, I would try Gorilla fight gear. I have the Tyro headgear and I really like it. It is modeled after the Winning FG2900 I believe and it's a tank. It's in syntec leather tho. I paid like 25$ on sale.

Or go with UMA as , from the reviews, its almost better than the Winning's.

R2C shipping is ridiculously expensive imo
http://www.gorillagear.ca/cheap-boxing-headgear Haha only $20? Almost worth buying just to try it

I've steered clear of R2C because the cheapest shipping was over $40usd and now that the sale is over, it wouldn't be much less than Winning (way faster delivery though)

Likely going to get the R9, just need to figure out what colour

http://www.gorillagear.ca/cheap-boxing-headgear Haha only $20? Almost worth buying just to try it

I've steered clear of R2C because the cheapest shipping was over $40usd and now that the sale is over, it wouldn't be much less than Winning (way faster delivery though)

Likely going to get the R9, just need to figure out what colour

Seriously you should try the Tyro headgear. My big nose is well protected, vision is good, forehead padding as well as the back of the head. You won't regret it.

has anyone any experience in using the fairtex facesavers?

has anyone any experience in using the fairtex facesavers?

I'd give their facesavers a miss they look incredibly bulky and hard to see out of. Their regular headgears should be fine.

I'd give their facesavers a miss they look incredibly bulky and hard to see out of. Their regular headgears should be fine.

After reading a few reviews I think I will avoid them

Back