Gaming headsets

Wireless will never work better than wired. Non amped will never work better than amped.

And you are a tool if you pay more than 200 bucks for headphones for gaming. Serious headphones are for serious listening.
What is serious listening?

I need new ones for gaming on PS4 might check out those hyperX ones...

Feel like asking 1 or 2 questions but i don't want to look stupid, better study them before I ask.

Just want to say thank you for all those people who wrote their recommendations in this thread.
I was asking myself the same question for a while - about which headphones to purchase.
Going to stu receive my brand new Sennheiser HD558 next week!

ok, so I have gone through a few headsets in the past few years, and I am now looking for a new set.

I loved my hyper x cloud 2’s until a cat knocked water onto the microphone, rendering it useless. The set still works, and I would say these are still one of the best sets I have ever owned for only $100. If they had a wireless headset, it would be end of discussion right here.

Then I bought Astro A-40 tr with mix amp that set me back $200. These are supposed to be the best wired headsets, but i am not super impressed with these. You can make your own plate covers, which is cool(i designed some) and you can upgrade the earcups and the headband. Despite my bitching, these are good headphones, but i am not able to pick up footsteps like i can with the hyper x and turtle beaches(see below), but my main problem is that The mic goes in and out, and the power will just turn on without me touching anything, and I can return these and i will, as I got a two year warranty, but I wanted some wireless headsets.

So last week, I went big and bought the turtle beach 800 elite wireless. The sound is pretty damn good, actually the best yet, and i love the charging station, but I don’t like the interface on the sides of the headphones and I am always pushing a button by accident, or the Bluetooth will try and synch without hitting anything. I also don’t like that i can’t tell when i am muted, or not. It seems like such a small oversight, but it bothers me.

So, I have another week to return these and get something else, and I was curious if anyone had any input.

The TB 800 are ALWAYS at the top of the list. Always. But I am not as impressed as I would like, so my plan is to return the astros, and if I can exchange those, I will keep the TBs and get something else. If they simply fix or replace the astros with the same headset, I will probably exchange the TBs.

Also at the top of the list are Astro A-50s, which are wireless. So that is in consideration. I also like what I hear about SteelSeries and plantronics. The A-50s are pretty expensive, though, and bestbuy never seems to have the other headsets i am interested in, so I may have to order them online. So I like the SteelSeries arctis 7, and the plantronics generally get great reviews, though some hate them, but the 800 ls is also a consideration. The Logitech g6 Artemis also scores big, but is not wireless. That is not a deal breaker, though. I just want to have some wireless headsets.

I don’t like the TB stealth 420 because they are uncomfortable and old, and why would i go way down the TB ladder?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

ok, so I have gone through a few headsets in the past few years, and I am now looking for a new set.

I loved my hyper x cloud 2’s until a cat knocked water onto the microphone, rendering it useless. The set still works, and I would say these are still one of the best sets I have ever owned for only $100. If they had a wireless headset, it would be end of discussion right here.

Then I bought Astro A-40 tr with mix amp that set me back $200. These are supposed to be the best wired headsets, but i am not super impressed with these. You can make your own plate covers, which is cool(i designed some) and you can upgrade the earcups and the headband. Despite my bitching, these are good headphones, but i am not able to pick up footsteps like i can with the hyper x and turtle beaches(see below), but my main problem is that The mic goes in and out, and the power will just turn on without me touching anything, and I can return these and i will, as I got a two year warranty, but I wanted some wireless headsets.

So last week, I went big and bought the turtle beach 800 elite wireless. The sound is pretty damn good, actually the best yet, and i love the charging station, but I don’t like the interface on the sides of the headphones and I am always pushing a button by accident, or the Bluetooth will try and synch without hitting anything. I also don’t like that i can’t tell when i am muted, or not. It seems like such a small oversight, but it bothers me.

So, I have another week to return these and get something else, and I was curious if anyone had any input.

The TB 800 are ALWAYS at the top of the list. Always. But I am not as impressed as I would like, so my plan is to return the astros, and if I can exchange those, I will keep the TBs and get something else. If they simply fix or replace the astros with the same headset, I will probably exchange the TBs.

Also at the top of the list are Astro A-50s, which are wireless. So that is in consideration. I also like what I hear about SteelSeries and plantronics. The A-50s are pretty expensive, though, and bestbuy never seems to have the other headsets i am interested in, so I may have to order them online. So I like the SteelSeries arctis 7, and the plantronics generally get great reviews, though some hate them, but the 800 ls is also a consideration. The Logitech g6 Artemis also scores big, but is not wireless. That is not a deal breaker, though. I just want to have some wireless headsets.

I don’t like the TB stealth 420 because they are uncomfortable and old, and why would i go way down the TB ladder?

This would probably go best in the Video Games section??

Roger that.

I have an pair of Astro Wireless A-40's (couple of years old) which are great, for what it is worth. These are however, the first pair of decent cans I have owned, so I have no baseline.

They are supposed to be one of the best wired headsets; not necessarily the best. I wouldn't put their sound quality against companies like Sennheiser, ever. Unfortunately, Sennheiser doesn't make wireless gaming headsets.

Sennheiser GAME ONE
818acEiJK3L._SL1500_.jpg

Wireless headsets aren't really my thing, so I haven't invested a whole lot of time into perusing them. I hate Turtle Beach. Their top-of-the-line stuff is good, I'm sure, but they have miserable quality control across their catalog. Generally speaking, I think all of the gamer-niche peripheral companies (with audio) tend to be exploitative of the niche, and don't offer anywhere close to what the actual audiophile companies offer per dollar spent.

So if companies like Astro and Turtle Beach aren't cutting it...that's where you look. You've already got the mixamp, after all. You could add a modmic to any headset and let the mixamp drive it, but then your problem becomes multiplatform compatibility on the Xbox/PS4. Just because things should be compatible, and are designed to operate openly and freely, doesn't mean that they will. The ball of yarn has loose splays-- headaches. This is where companies like Turtle Beach and Astro go out of their way to guarantee product support by platform by maintaining a relationship with Microsoft/Sony.

I was looking at the Astro A50's yesterday. I had the Siberia x300 headset but the mic crapped out so i dont use it anymore.

Oh, this won't be useful to NHB, but I thought I'd point out that I just noticed the original HyperX Cloud headset is selling for just $50 on Amazon right now with a carrier case included:
https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VRP171Q6H12Q1DHARZM3

You only find this page if you know how to navigate the bestseller charts. I searched on my phone to send the link to a friend, and the search didn't turn this item up anywhere on the front page of results. The top result was the standalone HyperX Cloud Pro, and it's $80. So you get $30 off by ADDING the carrier case. See for yourself:
https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud...d=1512039469&sr=1-1&keywords=hyperx+cloud+pro

This cross-post is fine. Plenty of guys with knowledge in the Berry who don't frequent the VG. Some tech is interesting to the Berry, too. That's why the Smartphone thread is in here when technically it should go in the VG/Tech forum.

This cross-post is fine. Plenty of guys with knowledge in the Berry who don't frequent the VG. Some tech is interesting to the Berry, too. That's why the Smartphone thread is in here when technically it should go in the VG/Tech forum.
Waiting for Big Baller Brand headphones.

They are supposed to be one of the best wired headsets; not necessarily the best. I wouldn't put their sound quality against companies like Sennheiser, ever. Unfortunately, Sennheiser doesn't make wireless gaming headsets.

Sennheiser GAME ONE
818acEiJK3L._SL1500_.jpg

Wireless headsets aren't really my thing, so I haven't invested a whole lot of time into perusing them. I hate Turtle Beach. Their top-of-the-line stuff is good, I'm sure, but they have miserable quality control across their catalog. Generally speaking, I think all of the gamer-niche peripheral companies (with audio) tend to be exploitative of the niche, and don't offer anywhere close to what the actual audiophile companies offer per dollar spent.

So if companies like Astro and Turtle Beach aren't cutting it...that's where you look. You've already got the mixamp, after all. You could add a modmic to any headset and let the mixamp drive it, but then your problem becomes multiplatform compatibility on the Xbox/PS4. Just because things should be compatible, and are designed to operate openly and freely, doesn't mean that they will. The ball of yarn has loose splays-- headaches. This is where companies like Turtle Beach and Astro go out of their way to guarantee product support by platform by maintaining a relationship with Microsoft/Sony.

I have those they are pretty good but maybe not worth full price.

I have those they are pretty good but maybe not worth full price.
They don't sell for $349 (original MSRP) or $230 (current MSRP) on Amazon. They're $172. The Astro Gaming TR-40 is $150.

At those price points the Sennheiser is easily the better buy.

They don't sell for $349 (original MSRP) or $230 (current MSRP) on Amazon. They're $172. The Astro Gaming TR-40 is $150.

At those price points the Sennheiser is easily the better buy.

Yeah I got mine for 60% off so that was a decent price.

I actually think the best thing about them are how comfortable they are, I can wear them for hours and dont get any pressure points or sweaty ear pads.

Back