10 Reasons Why JUSTICE LEAGUE Flopped at the U.S. Box Office

Here's something I was thinking about today, it's how the characters are developed and presented. MCU had Korg and everybody fucking loved him, quoted him and cared about him. In the scheme of things he should be nothing to remember, but they nailed it. Meanwhile D.C. Literally can't make a justice league movie where everyone cares about the main characters let alone the supporting cast.

Good point. A nothing character like Korg got some love because of how he was presented.
People even love Loki.
I don't care about a single DC character. Martha or Lois should have provided SOMETHING. I feel like the last few Superman movies have done a terrible job casting Lois. She just comes across as a bitchy reporter.
Why does the most powerful man on Earth love this woman? What is so special about her? How does she keep him grounded? I don't care when she is in danger.
I didn't care when Superman died.
I didn't care when Superman's dad died.
People want to criticize Marvel for all their jokes, which is fine, but going 100% serious is not hte way to go. That isn't human. There needs to be some levity. Lois and Clark are the most boring couple alive. And it's hard to care about boring people.

For whatever reason, DC movies do not interest me. Last movie that I spent money on was Man of Steel.
- None of the characters or actors/actresses are appealing.
- Batman is better as a stand alone.
- DC's cinematography puts me off. Everything is dark and dim.
- Not excited for any of the up coming DC movies and will probably not watch any of them at the box office. More excited for Ninja Batman....

Last edited:
Yeah the power level makes no sense. If Superman can move as fast as the Flash how on earth did he struggle with Batman in the last movie?
I always thought he was holding back against batman in bvs??

Can anyone confirm?
I rewatched that fight and it was so poorly executed in how Superman aggressively steps up to Batman while asking for help. Before Batman took out the kryptonite, Superman could've easily immobilized batmat to the point he could do nothing but listen to what superman had to say. Like just hold him down or something. But he decides to push batman like 20 yards back for no reason and then tosses him through another building because Batman shot him with some bullets, which basically tickle him anyway. Then that's when Batman decides to use kryptonite? That fight made no sense.

Or the Fantastic Four and they only just got Spider-Man back. I still don't get how DC could mess it up this badly.

MCU got kind of lucky. They made Iron Man and it was waaaay more awesome and popular than they expected. They then tentatively and meticulously built a universe around that franchise. DC, which has been making comic book movies since the 70's (Superman) and 80's (Batman) were very slow on the uptake and when they started to see the billions rolling in they panicked and try to cobble together a competing franchise. It wasn't organic, it was forced.

Not only that, but Marvel >>>>>>>>>>>>>> DC 24/7/365/∞

He wasn't trying to fight him at first.
He wanted Bruce to help him because Luther had his mother hostage. The kryptonite gas is what weakened him for Batman to take him on. He didn't have his super speed or durability after he was exposed to the kryptonite

If he moves and reacts as fast as the Flash can he should've been able to avoid the kryptonite and one-shot Batman. The entire fight scene played it like he moves and reacts at normal speed.

MCU got kind of lucky. They made Iron Man and it was waaaay more awesome and popular than they expected. They then tentatively and meticulously built a universe around that franchise. DC, which has been making comic book movies since the 70's (Superman) and 80's (Batman) were very slow on the uptake and when they started to see the billions rolling in they panicked and try to cobble together a competing franchise. It wasn't organic, it was forced.

Not only that, but Marvel >>>>>>>>>>>>>> DC 24/7/365/∞

It's not luck that almost all of their movies have been good.

DC, which has been making comic book movies since the 70's (Superman) and 80's (Batman) were very slow on the uptake and when they started to see the billions rolling in they panicked and try to cobble together a competing franchise. It wasn't organic, it was forced.

One thing people seem to forget is that when The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man hit (2008), DC was still right in the fucking middle of the Dark Knight trilogy. It's not like they could just drop all that to start some new shit, especially considering how super-popular those movies were.

Iron Man and TDK came out the same year.

I always thought he was holding back against batman in bvs??

Can anyone confirm?

For what purpose? He intentionally let's himself get beat up? Batman shouldn't have been able to land a single blow.

If he moves and reacts as fast as the Flash can he should've been able to avoid the kryptonite and one-shot Batman. The entire fight scene played it like he moves and reacts at normal speed.
He didn't come there to fight though. Superman knows a man can't "fight" him. He obviously underestimated him. He came to neutralize him, not fight.

And he didn't know it was Kryptonite.
He had no reason to believe that any weapon that Batman had could hurt him. I forget, but was Kryptonite even used at all in MoS?
Either way, there was no way he could expect kryptonite gas. There was no time or reason for him to react.
The way I took that scene was that after he was exposed, he was weakened, and so he was severely depowered.
Add the ass whooping from Batman and he should have been feeling like shit.

DC has also done a really shitty job at establishing their world.
One thing that I really liked about MoS was how they portrayed Krypton. It's this super advanced planet with science at its core--a highly structured society. That made the idea of Superman feel a lot more "real" or plausible.It gave the movie a bit of a Sci-fi feel, and not just a comic book feel to me.
To go from that, to Doomsday, to a Batman that just fights normal human criminals, to magic gods and goddesses in Suicide Squad, and Olympians in Wonder Woman, and whatever the fuck that thing was in JL....what world are we living in?
Everyone is on board with the fact that aliens and gods and monsters just exist in the world ? No one in the DC movies seem the least bit surprised that there's flying aliens, greek gods, and the city of Atlantis exists.

One thing people seem to forget is that when The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man hit (2008), DC was still right in the fucking middle of the Dark Knight trilogy. It's not like they could just drop all that to start some new shit, especially considering how super-popular those movies were.

Iron Man and TDK came out the same year.

And it never occurred to DC to introduce Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg, Winder Woman, etc. until it was too late.

It's not luck that almost all of their movies have been good.
i get your point, but it's not like the FF movies sucked in purpose. More to my point was it was luck that IM was so popular that it lent itself to organically expand the universe franchise.

And it never occurred to DC to introduce Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg, Winder Woman, etc. until it was too late.

Green Lantern came out before TDKR . . . it's just that no one liked it.

Man of Steel came out in 2013, the same year as TDKR.

Obviously it would've been better to get more movies out more quickly, but I suspect it's a matter of resources and development.

For what purpose? He intentionally let's himself get beat up? Batman shouldn't have been able to land a single blow.
He was trying to get Batman on his side to save Martha.

tumblr_o9k0033Fyb1qbwsdco5_250.gif

Supes even told him to stay down.

Green Lantern came out before TDKR . . . it's just that no one liked it.

Man of Steel came out in 2013, the same year as TDKR.

Obviously it would've been better to get more movies out more quickly, but I suspect it's a matter of resources and development.

And they made no effort to integrate the universes. So when MCU ties it altogether, DC panicked and cobbled together garbage that set back their franchise another decade while MCU moves into the untouchable level.

And they made no effort to integrate the universes. So when MCU ties it altogether, DC panicked and cobbled together garbage that set back their franchise another decade while MCU moves into the untouchable level.

Here's what I don't understand. . . Why not just let DC move at their own pace?

Why does the DCEU need to be as developed as the MCU at this point in time?

I'm sure that if DC hadn't been making the Dark Knight trilogy then they WOULD be up to speed with Marvel, but they were putting their attention and resources into that first and foremost . . . which is okay and makes sense.

Maybe the DCEU is a few years behind, but why is that actually a big problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm sure that if DC hadn't been making the Dark Knight trilogy then they WOULD be, but they were putting their attention and resources into that first and foremost . . . which is okay and makes sense.

I feel like only DC thinks they need to be at the same point as the MCU.
I'd be perfectly fine with a slow build up that had a good pay off. I was immediately against the idea of a Batman vs Superman movie when they announced it.

I'm sure that if DC hadn't been making the Dark Knight trilogy then they WOULD be, but they were putting their attention and resources into that first and foremost . . . which is okay and makes sense.

Exactly my point. They didn't move at their own pace - they panicked. And in an effort to reach parody with the MCU they face planted. Just like Spider-Man @ Sony.

Exactly my point. They didn't move at their own pace - they panicked. And in an effort to reach parody with the MCU they face planted. Just like Spider-Man @ Sony.

Well it sounded to me like you were saying you think they SHOULD'VE been trying to keep pace with Marvel.

"And it never occurred to DC to introduce Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg, Winder Woman, etc. until it was too late."

Back