What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

Folks who like fantasy seem to enjoy it. I'm not as big of a world as I tend to enjoy (I'm a giant Tolkien snob), but I imagine I'll enjoy the world the author builds.

Is this in the same universe as Spiderlight? I really liked that one.

Just finished ready player 1. Absolutely loved every page of it and can't wait for the movie. Need advice for what to read next. I'm thinking either Armada by Cline cus I enjoyed ready player one so much or Andy weirs new one Artimis cus the martian was so good and there was a character called Art3mis or I'm open to other suggestions

Not really sure about sci-fi, but I'm reading HP Lovecraft, bring on some cosmic horror!

Just got finished with Harumi Murakami's 1Q84, after having read his WIND-UP BIRD CHRONICLES. I'm getting the sense he's like a Japanese Dickens. I think I'll try out KAFKA ON THE SHORE and that'll be it for Tour Murakami.

Picked up A War in Crimson Embers by Alex Marshall (Jesse Bullington). Might be one of my favorite series atm.

Just finished The Vagrant, by Peter Newman. Loved it, going to pick up the sequel later today on my lunch break.
81Iq-Av%2BijL.jpg
Right now I'm 3/4 of the way through A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab. It is very enjoyable, a cool concept in an interesting world. Will probably pick up it's sequel today as well.
51f0KzLzb-L._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished ready player 1. Absolutely loved every page of it and can't wait for the movie. Need advice for what to read next. I'm thinking either Armada by Cline cus I enjoyed ready player one so much or Andy weirs new one Artimis cus the martian was so good and there was a character called Art3mis or I'm open to other suggestions

If yo uliked the ingame part of Ready Player 1, you may like Awaken Online.

I can't really recommend Armada. It's a little too much of the same, except that it requires a bigger leap of faith from the reader to get immersed in the world. Lots of suspension of belief required, even for a goofy sci fi novel.
I picked up Artemis, but haven't read it yet.

Reading the Expanse series after I watched the first season on TV, its not to bad.
Love The Expanse, I started on the novels and was pumped the show was coming out. Love the show too which was a nice surprise (that a book i love they got the show right lol). Need to re-read the ones I've read before I read the 1 or 2 I'm behind on.

Good Lord.

I finished The Great Ordeal and The Unholy Consult by R. Scott Bakker. I had read all the previous books some 4 years ago and I had liked his world building and systems a lot, even though he gets awfully graphic with the tortures and sex. I hadn't realised he had published the last two books so close one after the other, so I took to them wolfishly.

Nevertheless, all was well until that last book. The ending was disappointing since he had been building it up during the whole book. The Unholy Consult felt rushed, and it was poorly formatted ( I got it from Amazon for my Kindle). When I finished the book, my Kindle was telling me I was just at 66% of the book, for example.

Anyhow, I want the next book asap, since he's writing another trilogy to continue the story. I need to fucking know, bros. I need to fucking know.

Some spoilers below

- The fucking Whale Mothers. That was hard.
- I found the Ordealmen consuming the Skinny meat and its effects a really powerful image.
- The breaker of horses and men is still one of the best characters.
- Leave Akka ALONE. WHY MUST HE SUFFER SO MUCH.
- Good night, sweet Proyas.

Currently doing a re-read of Worm:

https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/1-1/

An introverted teenage girl with an unconventional superpower, Taylor goes out in costume to find escape from a deeply unhappy and frustrated civilian life. Her first attempt at taking down a supervillain sees her mistaken for one, thrusting her into the midst of the local ‘cape’ scene’s politics, unwritten rules, and ambiguous morals. As she risks life and limb, Taylor faces the dilemma of having to do the wrong things for the right reasons.

The story, titled Worm, takes the form of a web serial, posted in bite-sized reads in much the same way that authors such as Mark Twain would release their works one chapter at a time in the days before full-fledged novels. Worm started in June 2011, updating twice a week, and finished in late November, 2013. It totals roughly 1,680,000 words; roughly 26 typical novels in length (or 10-11 very thick novels). The story updated on Tuesdays and Saturdays, with bonus chapters appearing on the occasional Thursday, as explained below.

Some of the best writing I've ever seen in the genre. Full of ideas that Brandon Sanderson would go on to use in his Steelheart books (not nearly as well).

Been a big science fiction fan for a long time.

A few years back I decided that I would try to read all the Hugo award winners and then go on to the Nebula award winners.

Here are my thoughts on the one's Ive read so far...

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein : 9/10
His best book IMO, much better than the movie, read it multiple times.

The moon is a harsh mistress by Robert Heinlein : 7/10
Ok, classic Heinlein, by the time I read this I had already made up my mind that Heinlein could not write credible women characters and I have to admit this made me read the book with a skeptical eye rather than simply enjoying the story.

Ringworld by Larry Niven: 10/10
Niven is the best hard science fiction writer IMO. Book was great, another one where Niven explores the limits of what could be achieved within known physics. As always with Niven the ideas and concepts are explored deeply. Read it multiple times.

Rendez-Vous with Rama by Arthur C clarke: 7/10
Interesting concept (space craft that takes generations to travel between stars) but I found the book was slow.

The forever war by Joe Haldeman : 9/10
Great book that investigates the effects of general relativity and time dilation on inter stellar war.

Neuromancer by William Gibson: 5/10
I felt this one was over rated, but it was the first of its kind and therefore worth the read.

Ender's game by Orson Scott Card: 10/10
Great book, the rest of the series if very good also. Read it multiple times.

Speaker for the dead by Orson Scott Card: 9/10
Great sequel, almost as good as Ender's game. Read it multiple times.

A fire upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge: 9/10
Epic book, explored new ideas and concepts that I had not yet seen in sci-fi. Read it multiple times.

The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson: 8/10
Not my favorite by Neil Stephenson, but I loved the concepts and style the book was written in. Read it multiple times.

Forever Peace by Joe Haldeman: 6/10
Second book of his I read, can't say I thought anything special of it.

A Deepness in the sky by Vernor Vinge 10/10
Another epic by Vernor Vinge, my favorite book by him, the book is loosely tied as a prequel to "Fire upon the deep". Read it multiple times

Hominids by Robert J Sawyer: 8/10
Book was good enough to get me to read the second and third books in the series. One of Sawyer's best.

Rainbow's end by Vernor Vinge: 8/10
Not my favorite, but quite prescient and shows that Vinge is truly in tune with the way technology will affect our lives in the near future.

Ancilary Justice by Ann Leckie: 10/10
Excellent book, contained new ideas and blew my mind. I also liked the next 2 in the series. Read the series multiple times.

The three body problem by Cixin Liu: 8/10
Good read, nice idea and concepts.

If yo uliked the ingame part of Ready Player 1, you may like Awaken Online.

I can't really recommend Armada. It's a little too much of the same, except that it requires a bigger leap of faith from the reader to get immersed in the world. Lots of suspension of belief required, even for a goofy sci fi novel.
I picked up Artemis, but haven't read it yet.

thanks lads, I read the synopsis of awaken online on goodreads I think I'll give it a go next

Finished up the Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan and really enjoyed them. They were originally self published as 6 books and republished as 3 books, each containing 2 of the original books. He wrote some prequel novels that I'm going to go back and read once I finish up some other stuff.

Currently reading the We Are Legion, We Are Bob trilogy. Just finished up the second book For We Are Many and I love this series. The main character Bob dies in the present day early in the first book and wakes up 150 years in the future as an AI Replecant as property of the state and they shoot him off into space on a probe with the mission to set up colonization sights on far off solar systems. He has the ability to clone himself through 3D printers and essentially creates and army of Bob probes to explore the galaxy. Picking up the last book this weekend, and can't wait to finish out the series.

Iron Gold is hitting early in January, so I'll be hitting up that next. Loved the Red Rising trilogy, so really looking forward for the next entry in this universe.

thanks lads, I read the synopsis of awaken online on goodreads I think I'll give it a go next

The 2nd awaken online book is good too. The problem is the author just published a side story as opposed to getting onto the 3rd core novel. That seems to be a thing.

Finished up the Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan and really enjoyed them. They were originally self published as 6 books and republished as 3 books, each containing 2 of the original books. He wrote some prequel novels that I'm going to go back and read once I finish up some other stuff.
The prequels are awesome. A series of like one off adventures. There's a new one that just came out a few days ago. Also his other series starting with age of myth. It takes place in the past and features historical figures from the first series. I really like sullivan.

Currently on the 4th book of the molly Fyde series by Hugh Howey. Its pretty good, not my favorite.
Before that I read his Silo series which was GREAT.

Before that I read The Forever War by Joe Haldeman, which is one of my favorite books of all time.

Back