Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Nunes beat Fujii?

You tell 'em Josh...

Yeah. Insane, but "fans" really know less than nothing about MMA in general and even less about women (in general) so when you combine the two, well, you get shit like this.

Nunes over Fujii? Namajunas over Coenen?!
You can't really take the results seriously. Most fans are not going to know those non UFC names. I do think its nice of whoever runs the fightpass twitter to include them. However, if this debate makes some fans look up those non UFC names I think this should be considered as a win.

Regarding Friday's Invicta card, what are some fights you all like? Who do you favor & why? I'm looking forward to the main event. JM has proven cardio & strong forward pressure boxing. Aga has super fast transitions & as the challenger a bit more of the unpredictability factor.

Last edited:
You can't really take the results seriously. Most fans are not going to know those non UFC names. I do think its nice of whoever runs the fightpass twitter to include them. However, if this debate makes some fans look up those non UFC names I think this should be considered as a win.

Agree. There's always a few who learn more about the history & many who don't. It's a slight learning curve. There's probably even some who are like 'who is this Rousey - never watched her fight.' :)

Regarding Friday's Invicta card, what are some fights you all like? Who do you favor & why? I'm looking forward to the main event. JM has proven cardio & strong forward pressure boxing. Aga has super fast transitions & as the challenger a bit more of the unpredictability factor.

Honestly, I just like seeing new fighters. I remember the sloppy, technique free new fighters on old cards, but seeing the crisp moves they have nowadays makes me happy. This recent season of TUF made me sad in one way in that an OG like Roxy couldn't get the belt, but happy to see newcomers with such talent.

oohh..............is the love affair over?

Okay, there must be something in the water here in New Mexico. Not only was Waterson well off her usual game, but @SeverianB just openly admitted to not being imprezzed by her performanz (even going so far as to bringing her career into question.) Never thought I'd see the day! Perhaps the real @SeverianB has been abducted by aliens.

Ha ha. No, the love affair is not over. I should have been more specific about "different career path". I mean she should fight a few lower ranked fighters like Tecia, Carla Esparza, Paige Vanzant and Felice Herrig have after losing.

In any case, I don't think she was 100% for this fight. She just posted a video and whatever illness she contracted before the fight is even worse now. She sounded completely congested, having a hard time breathing.

Looking forward to seeing Ferea as she didn't make it on to TUF. (After beating Ostavitch.)

Dern is sure to draw interest.

I am hoping that some of the weaker TUF fighters get loaned to Invicta.
I'm expecting both main event fighters to be on their way to the UFC after this.

I think that Amber "The Bully" Brown vs Tessa Simpson could be a very exciting fight.

Tessa lost to former Invicta FC atomweight champion Herica Tiburcio, but only lost by a split decision. Amber lost to current Invicta FC atomweight champion Ayaka Hamaski, but Ayaka admitted after that fight that she had been saved by the bell as she was about to lose by submission. Amber lost another fight (to Ashley Yoder) trying to make the leap up to strawweight. With the most recent loss to Ashley Cummins, Amber is surely going to be out to get back in the win column and I expect her to be coming for that W very strong (and pre-fight photos have her looking monstrously fit and strong).

Last edited:
Hopefully she is a title challenger, or is gonna be put in a number 1 contender's fight.

Hopefully she has continued to improve. Everyone always referred to her as a striker, but I was never really happy with that label being applied to her. Even by WMMA standards. She seems nice enough, but really needs to focus on her damn fundamentals. (seems a common issue, which baffles me. I seem to recall being in grade school and a coach telling me "Your stupid little ass will never get too good at the basics."

Everyone always referred to her as a striker, but I was never really happy with that label being applied to her. Even by WMMA standards.

I thought it was by cleaner striking technique that she beat Leslie Smith when they fought each other.

I thought it was by cleaner striking technique that she beat Leslie Smith when they fought each other.

Well, Smith is a brawler. Love her attitude, particularly her DGAF attitude with respect to fighting anyone on a moment's notice, but Leslie does not have what anyone would call sharp technique. She has a reasonably clean 1-2 and that is about it. Sub-par footwork, shit for head movement, etc. I could go on, but I like her enough to stop there.

Well, Smith is a brawler. Love her attitude, particularly her DGAF attitude with respect to fighting anyone on a moment's notice, but Leslie does not have what anyone would call sharp technique. She has a reasonably clean 1-2 and that is about it. Sub-par footwork, shit for head movement, etc. I could go on, but I like her enough to stop there.

And Smith managed to dominate Aldana in a stand-up FOTN battle.

Sooo... as I mentioned before, Svetlana Gotsyk is set to make her first title defence (she holds the WWFC Strawweight Championship) against Simona Soukupova on the 14th of December. Gotsyk is currently 9-3 with losses to tough competition Lena Ovchynnikova (Bellator Flyweight) and Zhang Weili (Kunlun Fight Champion). Since the loss to Zhang in 2016, Gotsyk has been on quite a roll finishing all her fights with either an armbar or the rear-naked choke, compiling a six fight win streak going into this fight. Here are a few of Sveta's fights prior to her first title defence, I'll see if I can post her fight against Soukupova too if I find it. I think she has a while to go but I definitely think Invicta would be interested in her soon, I hope they sign both her and Lilia Kazak somewhere down the road. Nice to see other Ukrainian talent aside Moroz.

Svetlana Gotsyk vs. Elena Belaya:

Svetlana Gotsyk vs. Ludmila Pylypchak:

Svetlana Gotsyk vs. Samantha Jean-Francois:

I don't know if it has been announced yet via the
Invicta website but Sarah Kaufman has signed on
with Invicta and she will be headlining the card
on January 13th against a yet to be announced
opponent.

Back