Arab-Israeli Conflict, v2: What the UN Jerusalem vote mean for Israel, the U.S, and Palestine

Status
Not open for further replies.
OTTAWA — Canada is walking a tightrope after American President Donald Trump’s controversial decision Wednesday to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and to move the United States embassy from Tel Aviv to the contested holy city.

The Liberal government has so far avoided overt criticism of the U.S. decision, despite strong reactions from other U.S. allies and from around the globe.

Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland issued a careful statement Wednesday afternoon that did not specifically mention Trump’s announcement.

‘‘Canada is a steadfast ally and friend of Israel and friend to the Palestinian people. Canada’s longstanding position is that the status of Jerusalem can be resolved only as part of a general settlement of the Palestinian-Israeli dispute,” Freeland’s statement said.

‘‘We are strongly committed to the goal of a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East, including the creation of a Palestinian state living side-by-side in peace and security with Israel. We call for calm and continue to support the building of conditions necessary for the parties to find a solution.’’

In a scrum with reporters earlier Wednesday, international development minister Marie-Claude Bibeau was more frank, saying in French that Canada has no intention of moving its embassy from Tel Aviv.

Last edited:
And to think, they were so close to achieving peace before this.. thanks, Trump.

Interesting, appreciate the information coming through.

Sounds like Netanyahu isn't overly concerned about the fallout from this and if anyone should be informed on the possibilities and with a stake in the game it would be him.
Curious on your own take on this situation.

And to think, they were so close to achieving peace before this..

Which planet are you visiting us from? o_O

Camp David was the last time that anyone could say there were real concessions on the table from the Israeli side, and there was a real chance for them to settle this dumb-ass squabble once and for all.

The Palestinians decided to throw that final peace offering in the trash. The so-called "Two-State solution" was dead right then and there. That was several Presidencies ago.

Now the hardliner factions from both sides will never allows any kind concession again, just like we all expected.

Last edited:
Speaking of Chomsky... here he is schooling an Israeli journalist for 20+ minutes

Relevant segment: At 11:30 he says that no, Israel isn't the worst violator in the world.

At 14:45 he states the most common sense first steps (obviously Israeli reporter doesn't agree) towards a peace settlement.

A thorough ass whooping in general though

Look, anyone can see that the far right in Israel have been a HUGE problem since before it was even a state. Even Herzl had deep problems with the ways Zionism was tending by the time he took ill and died.

But to pretend as if Israel and it's Muslim neighbors are anywhere near the same moral equivalence, I see this as absurdity.

I think most thinking people, however, can agree that an explicitly religious state is absurd, and makes whatever region it lies in demonstrably less safe.

Sounds like Netanyahu isn't overly concerned about the fallout from this and if anyone should be informed on the possibilities and with a stake in the game it would be him.

Netanyahu, it seems ever since his brother (a supreme BAMF) was killed, he has drifted further and further towards the extreme right of the Jewish support in Israel.

He is a man with tunnel vision.

This discussion between me and @Kafir-kun about Camp David pretty much covers what I think about the entire quagmire:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/a...sraels-capital.3429825/page-28#post-126937159

When the moderates tried their best and still fail, it opens up the opportunity for the hardliners.

People who think Netanyahu and Abbas are thick-headed hawks gonna be unpleasantly surprised when the next guys takes over.

Last edited:
Uh oh the religion of peace has been triggered, time for them to unleash a whole lot of peace, via violence.

Netanyahu, it seems ever since his brother (a supreme BAMF) was killed, he has drifted further and further towards the extreme right of the Jewish support in Israel.

He is a man with tunnel vision.

Tracking this guy's life kind of reflects what it's really like to live next to people which which want to see you driven into the sea (not all of course).
It's a dilema that no one would want to face.
I'm sympathetic to both sides but at the end of the day I believe Israel has bin more than fair many times without reciprocation.

Ok, thanks I'll check it out.

You seem pretty informed rather than some guy sitting at a bar spouting off opinions that just prove he has no idea what he's talking about.

Well yeah, I kinda have to be, consider I'm the one in charge of this topic of discussion :)

Reality is: the more you learn about the failed peace negotiations, the angrier you will get at all the missed opportunities over the years, opportunities that will never come back again, and then eventually you will arrive at the conclusion that perhaps the Arabs don't actually wanted peace after all, because they considers peace to be secondary to their pride.

Now we have reached the point when the pride on the Israel side has also grown to be just as big as the Arabs' from years past, and the hardliners have immense influence on the Israeli government, so any talks about further concessions are pure fantasy. There will be no more concessions after Camp David, consider how things went down for both sides since the year 2000.

There are no winners or victims here, just stupid players running in circles in a stupid game of their own makings, and we all know stupid games usually ends up with stupid prizes for everyone.

Last edited:
Canada is making itself smaller and smaller in the scale of relevance. China pretty much told Trudeau to scram on his latest visit.

Lol if shit pops off with Iran I'm going to be up there eating poutine while you're getting shot up in a desert.

Happy to see Canada basically tell the US to fuck off.

Aiming for that war to derail the Mueller investigation i see.

Canada is making itself smaller and smaller in the scale of relevance. China pretty much told Trudeau to scram on his latest visit.

Seems right. Trudeau behaves like a petulant 18 year old valley girl. He appears to fully expect to tell others "Hey, I'm moral" and have them take him seriously on serious matters. He is just like Trump, he has nowhere near the skills to govern or engage in simple diplomacy. Trudeau has displayed this time and time again. But alas, the soma is deep within Canada's veins, so he'll get re elected, and the liberal party will continue to fuck up Canada for "progress".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back