Mayor Cries After City Council Member Denies Her ‘White Privilege’

A lot of guys are saying "who cares?" Truth be told I don't really give a crap either, but if I was a citizen in her city I sure as hell would. What a fuckin nut. Critical theory is a religion that either attracts mental defective or maybe creates them. It certainly encourages and enhances one's craziness. This why I voted for John Tory and hell if it came down to it I would have voted for Doug Ford, because I didn't want a full on SJW like Olivia Chow to be the mayor.

White privilege does exist but that doesn't mean all white people are privileged.

You can dismiss the idea all you like but before you do that Google "disparity between white and black criminal sentencing" and you will see an example of it.
What if the data are adjusted for wealth and income? Hiring good representation makes a big difference.

Saying that was one of the most racist things she ever heard was a bit of an exaggeration, but the mayor sounded pretty spot on to me. Just because someone doesn't know or admit they are being racist doesn't mean that they are not racist.

That woman's biases refuses to acknowledge that her race has afforded her privileges that others do not have...that is racist. I am a little surprised, because you would think most women would understand this pattern of discrimination since it closely resembles sexism, and every other -ism out there.

What if the data are adjusted for wealth and income? Hiring good representation makes a big difference.

According to the Sentencing Commission's report, the black/white sentencing disparities are being driven in large part by “non-government sponsored departures and variances” — in plain English, sentencing choices made by judges at their own discretion.

Judges are less likely to voluntarily revise sentences downward for black offenders than for white ones, in other words. And even when judges do reduce black offenders' sentences, they do so by smaller amounts than for white offenders.

A 2014 University of Michigan Law School study, for instance, found that all other factors being equal, black offenders were 75 percent more likely to face a charge carrying a mandatory minimum sentence than a white offender who committed the same crime.

www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/11/16/black-men-sentenced-to-more-time-for-committing-the-exact-same-crime-as-a-white-person-study-finds/?sw_bypass=true&utm_term=.74be2c522212

That woman's biases refuses to acknowledge that her race has afforded her privileges that others do not have...that is racist. I am a little surprised, because you would think most women would understand this pattern of discrimination since it closely resembles sexism, and every other -ism out there.
You don't know that she has been afforded privileges, because you don't know her. Her life could have been a living hell for all you know.

You think there were mayors in the United States of America 10 years ago having this type of breakdown about "white privilege"?

I don't believe you.

There are around 20,000 mayors in the U.S. I think that if sick people want to believe that the world is against them, they can find one of them doing something to confirm their beliefs. I agree that 10 years ago that was harder.

According to the Sentencing Commission's report, the black/white sentencing disparities are being driven in large part by “non-government sponsored departures and variances” — in plain English, sentencing choices made by judges at their own discretion.

Judges are less likely to voluntarily revise sentences downward for black offenders than for white ones, in other words. And even when judges do reduce black offenders' sentences, they do so by smaller amounts than for white offenders.

A 2014 University of Michigan Law School study, for instance, found that all other factors being equal, black offenders were 75 percent more likely to face a charge carrying a mandatory minimum sentence than a white offender who committed the same crime.

www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/11/16/black-men-sentenced-to-more-time-for-committing-the-exact-same-crime-as-a-white-person-study-finds/?sw_bypass=true&utm_term=.74be2c522212
From the Michigan study you cited:

We find that the majority of the disparity between black and white sentences can be explained by differences in legally permitted characteristics, in particular, the arrest
offense and the defendant’s criminal history. Black arrestees are also disproportionately concentrated in federal districts that have higher sentences in general. Yet even after we control for these and other prior characteristics, an unexplained black-white sentence disparity of approximately 9 percent remains in our main sample.

9 percent is quite small and is totally out of line with the "white privilege" narrative.

There are around 20,000 mayors in the U.S. I think that if sick people want to believe that the world is against them, they can find one of them doing something to confirm their beliefs. I agree that 10 years ago that was harder.
Don't really follow, and I think you are dodging my question.

White guilt is getting out of hand these days. Lady is unstable at best

You don't know that she has been afforded privileges, because you don't know her. Her life could have been a living hell for all you know.

I do know, because that is the default.

Even her defense for not being racist was racist. "I bet I know more people of color than you do?"

<YeahOKJen>

She must not be friends with any of them, because if she hung out with a person of color, and saw some of the shit they have to go through, she wouldn't be omitting her privilege.

The reason why white Americans don't know this stuff is because they probably have never travelled outside of the US. Asian cultures treat people of color far better than American culture.

I never thought there was anything controversial about "white privilege" except for calling it "white privilege" and not "majority privilege". There are benefits to being in the majority.

I disagree with the notion that society needs to be engineered to correct that, but I don't see a problem with acknowledging it.

From the Michigan study you cited:

We find that the majority of the disparity between black and white sentences can be explained by differences in legally permitted characteristics, in particular, the arrest
offense and the defendant’s criminal history. Black arrestees are also disproportionately concentrated in federal districts that have higher sentences in general. Yet even after we control for these and other prior characteristics, an unexplained black-white sentence disparity of approximately 9 percent remains in our main sample.

9 percent is quite small and is totally out of line with the "white privilege" narrative.

Just one example. I won't bother wasting my time giving you more because I'm sure you'll claim them to be "quite small" so no point wasting anymore of my time.

Don't really follow, and I think you are dodging my question.

The question was overly specific, but in a more-general way, the answer is yes. Theoretically, if people at any time had access to the kind of information they have now, people with the TS' illness would be able to indulge it.

Asian cultures treat people of color far better than American culture.
How long have you lived in Asia? I've been here for about 10 years. Disgust at black people is the norm in this part of the world. I'm talking about actual "prejudice" and "racism", by the dictionary definition as opposed to the ever-evolving definitions that we see on the Huffington Post.

How long have you lived in Asia? I've been here for about 10 years. Disgust at black people is the norm in this part of the world. I'm talking about actual "prejudice" and "racism", by the dictionary definition as opposed to the ever-evolving definitions that we see on the Huffington Post.

The majority of Asians love black people, but don't like poor African refugees.

The question was overly specific, but in a more-general way, the answer is yes. Theoretically, if people at any time had access to the kind of information they have now, people with the TS' illness would be able to indulge it.
You're playing a game close to what mathematicians refer to as "general abstract nonsense". You're abstracting away key details because it makes you feel sophisticated. The key fact that I have pointed out is that this "white privilege" narrative has been relentlessly promoted by MSM and Hollywood for the past few years. It has infected the brains of otherwise normal people, and it is causing damage to relationships and reduction in productivity.

The majority of Asians love black people, but don't like poor African refugees.
You are waaaaaaay out of touch. Go learn Chinese and live in China, interacting only with Chinese people for a few years, as I did. Your view will change dramatically. Most Chinese people show deep dislike for black people.

You are waaaaaaay out of touch. Go learn Chinese and live in China, interacting only with Chinese people for a few years, as I did. Your view will change dramatically. Most Chinese people show deep dislike for black people.

That's because the only perspective they have of black people are poor African refugees, and the mainstream media. Racist beliefs do not survive on contact.

Back