Plant-based “meat” is so tasty that Europe’s meat industry has to bite back

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
THE “kapsalon” is a healthy mix of chips, melted Gouda cheese, shawarma, lettuce and garlic sauce and is a tried and tested hangover cure in the Netherlands. So naturally, a butcher’s shop on the Spui, in The Hague, put it on its takeaway menu, alongside burgers and sausage rolls. As two young women walk out, tucking into their steaming kapsalons, an elderly gentleman asks how to prepare the steak he has just bought. The scene would have most carnivores fooled. For this butcher deals only in meatless “meat”.

“We want to become the biggest butcher in the world without ever slaughtering an animal,” says Jaap Korteweg, a ninth-generation farmer and founder of The Vegetarian Butcher. Since opening its first shop in The Hague in 2010 the company has been developing plant-based products that look, smell and taste like meat. “This shouldn’t just taste like real chorizo, it should leave the same red stains on your fingers,” says Maarten Kleizen, an employee, as he serves a slice.

Full Article
https://www.economist.com/news/busi...e-under-attack-its-labelling-plant-based-meat

I read about this on my KLM flight from Amsterdam to Montreal last week.

What is your opinion, Im curious to try this, this could make me go Vegan or vegetarian but sounds pricey.

I think there are a lot of people, who if presented with a plant based alternative that tasted EXACTLY like it's meat counter part, they'd switch over in a heart beat. The reality is, though people may feel there is a moral reason to switch, the enjoyment of meaty food makes the switch impossible.

For me to switch, it would have to be everything. Eggs, cakes, burgers, steaks, chicken etc. If they suddenly figure that out, I'd have no issue switching.

I think there are a lot of people, who if presented with a plant based alternative that tasted EXACTLY like it's meat counter part, they'd switch over in a heart beat. The reality is, though people may feel there is a moral reason to switch, the enjoyment of meaty food makes the switch impossible.

For me to switch, it would have to be everything. Eggs, cakes, burgers, steaks, chicken etc. If they suddenly figure that out, I'd have no issue switching.

For me its a as long as the dishes taste good, I tried vegan based but most of the food I ate was horrible, well the person who made it didn't believe in cooking either everything as raw or sun dried or dehydrated cooking style, but no harsh heat they said it kills nutrients.

I tried a plant burger once. It was the worse fucking thing I have ever tasted

The Hague sounds like a place where you would lock up super villians

For me its a as long as the dishes taste good, I tried vegan based but most of the food I ate was horrible, well the person who made it didn't believe in cooking either everything as raw or sun dried or dehydrated cooking style, but no harsh heat they said it kills nutrients.

Yeah, I’ve gone on a raw diet before. Some of the recipes were really good. But most were not very good.

There are shitty ones out there for sure but there's great ones like the beyond meat burger. Just had two myself, with grilled onions avocado, potato buns, vegan mayo and soy cheese. Delicious.

I'd like to know how they do it. Is it all natural or is it filled chemicals and MSG.

The chinese fake meat have so much sodium that you're healthier not eating.

I'd wonder about the nutritional content as well. If it's almost the same as actual meat, why not?

Depending on who prepared it will determine whether it tickles your taste buds or not. But something else to consider is the fact that you grew up eating animals so that's what your taste buds and brain are used to. It's very possible that had you grown up eating a vegan or vegetarian diet then the first time you had a beef burger would've been the worst thing you've ever tasted.

Depending on who prepared it will determine whether it tickles your taste buds or not. But something else to consider is the fact that you grew up eating animals so that's what your taste buds and brain are used to. It's very possible that had you grown up eating a vegan or vegetarian diet then the first time you had a beef burger would've been the worst thing you've ever tasted.

Sounds like child abuse imo

I've been a vego for around 20 years and have tried so many 'meat' products and they are almost always tasteless and incredibly salty.

I'm fine with the meat lobby fighting to protect the word 'Meat' etc. I like soyrizo, veggie patties and the like, just don't call it "chorizo, and Hamburger patties".

This fight is only about branding.

Back