Another day, another broken promise. Cuts to Medicare & Medicaid

TapoutforSprawl

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/363642-ryan-pledges-entitlement-reform-in-2018

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) on Wednesday said House Republicans will aim to cut spending on Medicare, Medicaid and welfare programs next year as a way to trim the federal deficit.

“We’re going to have to get back next year at entitlement reform, which is how you tackle the debt and the deficit,” Ryan said during an interview on Ross Kaminsky's talk radio show.

Health-care entitlements such as Medicare and Medicaid “are the big drivers of debt,” Ryan said, “so we spend more time on the health-care entitlements, because that's really where the problem lies, fiscally speaking."

Ryan said he’s been speaking privately with President Trump, who is beginning to warm to the idea of slowing the spending growth in entitlements.

During his campaign, Trump repeatedly promised not to cut Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security.

“I think the president is understanding choice and competition works everywhere, especially in Medicare,” Ryan said.

Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas), chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, told Bloomberg TV that “the most important thing we can do with respect to the national debt, what we need to do, is obviously reform current entitlement programs for future generations.”

Ryan also mentioned that he wants to work on changing the welfare system, and Republicans have in the past expressed a desire to add work requirements to programs such as food stamps.

Speaking on the Senate floor while debating the tax bill last week, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said he had a “rough time wanting to spend billions and billions and trillions of dollars to help people who won’t help themselves, won’t lift a finger and expect the federal government to do everything.”

His comments were echoed by Ryan.

"We have a welfare system that's trapping people in poverty and effectively paying people not to work," Ryan said Wednesday. "We've got to work on that.”

Remember the Republican motto "The rich can do more with more, while the poor can do more with less".

Last edited:
You motherfuckers down South exhausted from all of that winning yet?

You motherfuckers down South exhausted from all of that winning yet?

I'm Georgia-born and raised, let me tell you....

There will be a loud wailing and gnashing of teeth when Medicare & Medicaid get the axe. But, hey...

It's what THEY (not me) voted for.

They don't need health care when they can just pray themselves healed.

The mid terms are going to be interesting

The mid terms are going to be interesting

With the Russia investigation becoming more intense and the GOP morphing into the party of P3dobear/Pu$$y-grab...

They sure will...

I voted for Trump hoping these programs would be cut. Too much funding goes into both Medicare and Medicaid and it’s time for change. They really do more harm than good. Medicaid is especially a disgusting program that promotes laziness.
The amount of money spent on diabetes treatment, something that is largely treatable by good diet and exercise, is astounding.

The problem with healthcare in America is that the people are too fucking fat and it's only getting worse. There's no way the government can do anything about that.

Something like 50% of Americans either have diabetes or pre-diabetes.

I voted for Trump hoping these programs would be cut. Too much funding goes into both Medicare and Medicaid and it’s time for change. They really do more harm than good. Medicaid is especially a disgusting program that promotes laziness.

The cuts themselves aren't exactly what bother me so much. It's that they cut taxes for the rich, then say the poor need to pay the difference. The rich are already well off, yet they get all the breaks, while the poor keep getting screwed again and again.

I actually want these programs to be trimmed with the plan to eventually dissolve them, so this isn't a problem for me. I made a thread about the shortcomings of the tax plan, and I'm not a big fan of it. But no is not reflective of the other.

Back