Arab-Israeli Conflict, v2: What the UN Jerusalem vote mean for Israel, the U.S, and Palestine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This choice didn't have to be made.
What would have been the better choice? To tell Jews that Jerusalem is the Jewish capital but not doing anything to ensure it like Obama? Empty words and pandering?

What would have been the better choice? To tell Jews that Jerusalem is the Jewish capital but not doing anything to ensure it like Obama? Empty words and pandering?
Not give in to AIPAC lobbying and stay on the fence during the campaign. But these presidential candidates can't resist dat AIPAC cheese.

The Palestinians have had bad leaders, no doubt, but that doesn't justify Israel's colonial project in Palestine.
You talking about the people who vote for these people every opportunity they get? That’s pretty popular support they enjoy.

I guess there really wasn't a choice, it had to be done, right now.

The international outcry was deafening.
Or, it is now anyways

I guess there really wasn't a choice, it had to be done, right now.

The international outcry was deafening.
Or, it is now anyways
Yes, because waiting on Hamas to be all cosy and peace loving until kingdom come will be so much better...

Holy shit the middle east is such a shithole and full of hate. I know a Palestinian who wouldn't see Wonder Woman because Gal Gadot is Israeli (even though he'd already seen Batman v Superman).

As corny as it sounds, forgiveness might be the only solution, since both sides have committed so many crimes. As long as people want revenge the cycle will never break. A clean slate from forgiveness might be the only solution, so the future generations can grown up in peace and without being taught hate.

You talking about the people who vote for these people every opportunity they get? That’s pretty popular support they enjoy.

Jesus, is this a real post? How old are you? "The people voted for a bad leader, so they deserve wht they get" is how simpletons and terrorists think.

I used to be more against Israel but realistically they are surrounded by people who want to, and have tried, exterminating them. Sure, they are acting illegally. Who wouldn't? If I were a Jew I'd be in the military just waiting to kill for Israel. And I think I'd be fairly justified.
And if the boot was on the other foot you'd probably be saying the same thing.

Seeing my thread was closed down I'll start posting here. @Lead can you by any chance make the thread a merger?

http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-C...a-against-Israel-over-Jerusalem-status-517294

HAMAS LEADER HANIYEH CALLS FOR INTIFADA AGAINST ISRAEL OVER JERUSALEM STATUS.

Hamas Politburo Chief Ismail Haniyeh on Tuesday called for an uprising in the the West Bank and Jerusalem in response to US President Donald Trump’s decisions to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and set in motion a process to relocate the US embassy in Israel to the city.

“Tomorrow, December 8, 2017, should be a day of rage and the beginning of a major effort to rise up, which I will name the intifada of Jerusalem and the West Bank’s freedom,” Haniyeh said in a televised speech. “As we liberated Gaza, we are able… to free Jerusalem and the West Bank by the way of this popular struggle.”

Haniyeh also said that Palestinian militants should be “empowered to operate” in the West Bank to respond to Trump’s decisions.

“Today, we clearly announce that what is called the the peace process was buried one time and forever,” the top Hamas leader said. “I say to my brothers in the PA that we must have a clear position… that we are leaving the tunnel of Oslo… through which we have experienced pain and suffering.”

Top Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat on Wednesday said Trump’s decisions “destroyed any possibility of two states.”

Jesus, is this a real post? How old are you? "The people voted for a bad leader, so they deserve wht they get" is how simpletons and terrorists think.
Hamas got elected by popular election. They were the most popular option. That’s just he worst option they had. Which group was not a terrorist backed org

The choice was already made. We just never acknowledged it till now.
The choice was already made many years ago. All world leaders have been doing since then is walking around that fact. If they truly believed there was no validity to Israel's claim on at least a portion of Jerusalem as their national capital real actions would have occurred to force Israel to back off that claim and remained in place till they did so.

The apparatuses of Israeli government reside in Jerusalem and the UN has done nothing of any real consequence to change that fact.

What has occurred so far regarding Israel has been nothing more than propaganda, especially given our long standing ties with the nation.

http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Hamas-says-Trumps-Jerusalem-decision-opens-the-gates-of-hell-517281

HAMAS SAYS TRUMP’S JERUSALEM DECISION 'OPENS THE GATES OF HELL'

As Israeli leaders praised President Donald Trump for his decision to officially recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, a spokesman for the terrorist group Hamas said it “opens the gates of hell.”

“Trump’s decision on Jerusalem will not succeed in changing the fact that Jerusalem is an Arab Muslim land,” the spokesman said Wednesday following the White House announcement by Trump. Hamas also called for a Palestinian “Day of Rage” on Friday.

Prior to the announcement, Palestinians held a mass rally in Gaza that included the burning of Israeli and American flags.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas in televised remarks following Trump’s announcement called it “a declaration of withdrawal from the role it has played in the peace process.”

He called the decision “reward to Israel for denying agreements and defying international legitimacy and encourages it to continue the policy of occupation, settlement, apartheid and ethnic cleansing.” He added that the Palestinian leadership will meet in the coming days and consult with Arab leaders to formulate a response.

The Palestinians’ chief peace negotiator, Saeb Erekat, said the announcement has “disqualified the United States of America to play any role in any peace process.”

http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Dismay-and-dire-warnings-heard-around-Arab-world-517275

DISMAY AND DIRE WARNINGS HEARD AROUND ARAB WORLD

Politicians and commentators in the Arab world voiced dismay on Wednesday night in response to Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and his plan to move the American Embassy, with a prominent Jordanian figure proclaiming, “Peace is dead.”

Abdul-Hadi Majali, former speaker of the Jordanian Parliament, told Al Jazeera, “The Jordanian people are as angry as the Palestinian people. Tonight, Trump killed international legitimacy. For many years it was dying, now it is total death. We had been hoping there would be peace but now the peace is dead.”

“The time has come to say no to the US,” he added. “Geography, history and religion are with us. What we are demanding is international legitimacy, but Israel is behaving recklessly and is supported by Trump.”

The foreign minister of Turkey, which threatened to sever relations with Israel if Trump went ahead, reacted swiftly, tweeting it was “irresponsible” and that the move violated international law.

Public opinion in Jordan, which has a Palestinian majority and is the custodian of al-Aksa, is expected to be strong in reaction. The Jordan Times wrote in its editorial Wednesday that Trump was harming moderates in the region. “The current administration is ignoring US history as a peace broker, as a supporter of forces of moderation and the position of its friends and allies in the region at this critical time.”

Egyptian writer Emile Amin, in an article in the Saudi-owned Asharq al-Awsat, wrote that Trump was fueling extremism in the Arab world. “The Arabs have no more substantial cause than the Palestinian cause, caught between pain and hope over seven decades. Trump’s decision is a big change from the international consensus since before 70 years. Now the efforts of the lost peace between Palestinians and Israelis have reached a dead end. It is over forever. Even if Trump looks at his decision as a small symbolic step, it bears in it dramatic painful meanings which offer legitimation to the occupation.”

All over the media (and social media) the narrative seems to be that any violence that comes in the wake of this decision can be blamed on Trump and Trump alone. The people committing the violence are like animals I guess, they only react instinctively and can't be held responsible for their actions. Also the fact that Israel declares Jerusalem to be their capital seems to irrelevant. Funny how the same people who want a 3 year old to choose their gender don't think that a country should be able to decide their capital.

How can an orange tan guy from the US make the decision and its all of a sudden official?

Surely this needs to be agreed by bodies such as a the UN?

How can an orange tan guy from the US make the decision and its all of a sudden official?

Surely this needs to be agreed by bodies such as a the UN?

Why would the UN make the decision over where the US has their embassy?

Why would the UN make the decision over where the US has their embassy?

I'm asking how the US president can on his own decision be the decider on what the official state of Israel is.

What Gives him the power to make that decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back