Kyokushin/Muay Thai pros and cons

This is missing photo, elbow is not allowed in kyokushin.

Yes and with your logic you can't kick a ball in soccer/football....

Yes you can use elbows, they're just used bit differently (more to the shoulder clavicle) due to its knockdown rules (no head punches) - few modern shinkyokushin fighters I can think off on top of my head now that use it quite frequently are Orest Proc, Lukas Kubilius, Nazar Nasirov....

Done both.

Kyokushin was more painful. Contact was bare knuckle to the body and that meant severe bruising and internal bleeding. Bruises that were the size of a nickel would grow and become lighter as they grew. If I took my shirt off at the swimming pool, people would be shocked to see the bruising. There was one lady who believed I was a torture victim.

We would spar every Friday without gloves. Only shin pads were permitted and the objective would be to knock the guy out during sparring. No holding back.

Knee shots were permitted after a certain belt level and if you were going to throw knees before that belt level then you had to inform the person and they had to be cool with it. I never used them not because I needed to work on other techniques at my belt level.

In kyokushin class pain tolerance was emphasized more than my Muay thai class. My Muay thai class focuses on hitting pads while Kyokushin class focused on training hits on live humans as targets. You would increase the intensity of the hits to adjust the pain tolerance of the guy receiving them. As his tolerance got built up you power behind those strikes would also go up.

They are both very effective martial arts but the intensity sometimes depends more on the school than the discipline.

One major difference was

Done both.

Kyokushin was more painful. Contact was bare knuckle to the body and that meant severe bruising and internal bleeding. Bruises that were the size of a nickel would grow and become lighter as they grew. If I took my shirt off at the swimming pool, people would be shocked to see the bruising. There was one lady who believed I was a torture victim.

We would spar every Friday without gloves. Only shin pads were permitted and the objective would be to knock the guy out during sparring. No holding back.

Knee shots were permitted after a certain belt level and if you were going to throw knees before that belt level then you had to inform the person and they had to be cool with it. I never used them not because I needed to work on other techniques at my belt level.

In kyokushin class pain tolerance was emphasized more than my Muay thai class. My Muay thai class focuses on hitting pads while Kyokushin class focused on training hits on live humans as targets. You would increase the intensity of the hits to adjust the pain tolerance of the guy receiving them. As his tolerance got built up you power behind those strikes would also go up.

They are both very effective martial arts but the intensity sometimes depends more on the school than the discipline.

One major difference was
Interesting but I think you didn't finish your last sentence?

Last edited:
Both arts are truly great. I've dubbed in a lot of striking arts and Kyokushin and Muay Thai really stuck out for me.

It's more about the instructor/dojo/gym and level + mindset of the other students rather than the art itself though.

You should go for the one that has the best training, instruction and sparing partners rather than looking at just the style.

For example I would most likely choose training Kung Fu under a very legit instructor alongside really skillful students rather than in a bad Muay Thai gym with a crappy instructor and some assholes as training partners.
Best advice.

I did BJJ under someone with unclear credentials and thugs in class and then switched to Judo (groundwork days) under a 8th Dan former Olympic coach in a class of blackbelts. In theory BJJ > Judo on the ground. In practice it was the opposite + got injured more in BJJ.

Done both.

One major difference was
<GSPWoah><JerryWWF>

As I understand it, Muay Thai in Sweden, at least, prohibits elbows in sparring. So it depends on which country.

I've been to a few Kyokushin classes and I believe the guy. Have you even tried it or are you here only to shit on other arts and posters?

I've been to a few Kyokushin classes and I believe the guy. Have you even tried it or are you here only to shit on other arts and posters?

It sounds like a pretty radical school to encourage knockouts. Never heard of that.

It sounds like a pretty radical school to encourage knockouts. Never heard of that.
I think he meant "give up" rather than knock out (as with a head punch, since those are banned). Or knock the wind out with a body punch etc. That's what I've seen to be common among KK blackbelt training.

I've been to kyokushin dojos that actively tries to KO in sparring. Thankfully they are few.
Most control headshots, but don't mind to KD (knockdown) you with body and leg shots. If you ignore the brain injury aspect, I prefer getting KOd by a headkick, to being KD by a livershot. MUCH less painful.

I was about to suggest that while its ok to talk out of your ass before you know any better, once you have been informed of reality it is just a sign of stupidity.
But, OK, you are just trolling. I get it.

I've been to kyokushin dojos that actively tries to KO in sparring. Thankfully they are few.
Most control headshots, but don't mind to KD (knockdown) you with body and leg shots. If you ignore the brain injury aspect, I prefer getting KOd by a headkick, to being KD by a livershot. MUCH less painful.
Headshots long term sucks, but a good liver shot will turn even the toughest of men into princesses

Headshots long term sucks, but a good liver shot will turn even the toughest of men into princesses

And despite being a prohibited target in boxing, boxers are still awarded KO:s from them, which makes no sense

And despite being a prohibited target in boxing, boxers are still awarded KO:s from them, which makes no sense
How is it a prohibited area? Its the go to area other than the chin.

Haven't kept up with the formalities in boxing, but aren't body shot finishes listed as TKO?

Nothing more sissy than going down on one knee gasping for air like a bitch.....it's happened to me multiple times. Yes I have no shame.

TS - on a serious note you've been given great advice. Go for the style with better instruction and the one that suits you & your goals. Both are good but obviously one will gel with you more than the other.

As far as the kihon/kata in Kyokushin - it's a mess - great for going through the motions but you won't get much else from it imo. That's one of the reasons I switched to another style from kyokushin.

I will say though that Kyokushin training is generally much more intensive/debilitating than MT sessions. I think though MT seems to do a better job of not emptying your cup so much that you miss the next training session whereas in Kyokushin training it's not out of the ordinary to see miss sessions because the last session fucked you up.

What do you like the best?
If you don't want to fight or do MMA, what does it matter. It's like saying "I really like badminton, but I also like tennis, tell me the pro's and con's". Do one, do both, who gives a fuck

Nothing more sissy than going down on one knee gasping for air like a bitch.....it's happened to me multiple times. Yes I have no shame.
Yeah its happened to me as well. It happened recently with a karate type teep, I got caught as I was breathing in, and straight up shut out. If that was an actual bout it would've been a loss. Took longer than a standing 8, and if MMA I would've got pounded to the grave while trying to recover.

Funny thing is being dropped by bodyshots for me has only been in sparring. I've never gotten dropped in a fight or exhibition. Its good when your teammates are actually better than the competition.

I will say though that Kyokushin training is generally much more intensive/debilitating than MT sessions. I think though MT seems to do a better job of not emptying your cup so much that you miss the next training session whereas in Kyokushin training it's not out of the ordinary to see miss sessions because the last session fucked you up.

I remember asking about the drop out rate to either you or another KK poster, to which the reply was that it has the highest dropout rate in all combat sports.

For the rough gym-wars-on-the-reg, Is that a KK thing or rather a east euro gym culture thing?

Ill especially miss Donatas Imbras doing the 12-6 elbow to the clavicle. it was a signature move for him when breaking a close clinch and crerate space for a kick, but Ill cannot find any vids of in at the moment, and I wont spend an entire evening hunting after one to prove a point on a webforum. Common targets are the clavicle bone, and it is often used to punish a fighters guard arm, to make him lower it for a headkick.

Donatas Imbras does that 12-6 elbow at 1:00 on this video:

Last edited:
As I understand it, Muay Thai in Sweden, at least, prohibits elbows in sparring. So it depends on which country.

You clearly don't understand it then, talking out of our ass once again.

And here again talking out of your ass. Liver is not a prohibited target in boxing, it's very much a go to target.

Are you ever going to stop talking shit?

Back