I'm not sure GSP should really get credit as a 2 division champion

McGregor fought a fighter that was/is a legitimate Top 5 fighter. Most of us are unhappy with McGregor for a different reason.

GSP specifically picked out Bisping because he knew that Bisping is old and not a Top 5 form fighter. (and now we know he never intended to fight legitimate Top 5 MW fighters).. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Bisping was top 2. He was probably higher ranked than Alvarez. The difference is GSP moved UP to beat the champ, while Conor finally manned up fight in his rightful division.

Nothing against him, but he beat a past prime bisping. Who wasn't even a top 5 fighter. On some level we have to take off the rose coloured glasses and see that win for what It was.

It was a good win and a good performance having been off for 4 years but It certainly shouldn't have been a championship fight.

We all know Bisping was the equivalent of Matt serra when It comes to credibility as a champion.

That said, no hate on him for not staying at middleweight. No reason for him to fight the killers of that divisionn at this stage of his career,

I agree. Same as Conor

i´m 100% sure he should not

ashamed GSP fans are dissapearing..

this was a weak moneygrab from the beginning

Honest fans won't recognize Conor or GSP as two division champions.

They just got coddled with perfect match ups to jump the line for.

What everyone should ask themselves is if a champion is really a champion if they don't defend their title (i.e. Rockhold, Serra, Holm)
i.e. Conor.. at least Luke, Serra and Holly tried to defend the belt. Conor has never tried in his entire career.

Conor nor GSP

One fight in division does not a Champ make.

Means you won one fight. BFD.

GSP is the WW champion of the least competitive period of the WW division.

He is NOT a MW champion. He beat the circumstantial belt holder, and is not willing to defend the belt. That's not champ material.

I don't consider them either.
So then the UFC has yet to have a champion of two divisions in your mind cause the only other fighter to accomplish that feat is Randy Couture and he never successfully defended the LHW belt.

I have GSP as GOAT, but yeah, this does a lot of damage to that particular accomplishment.

He announced he doesn't want to come back to MW today.

He will never be considered a 2 division champ in my eyes.....Whitaker was the champ the second he beat Jacare and Romero......

Calling GSP a 2 division champ cheapens the accomplishment.....

Bisping sat on the belt for 518 days (17 months) without ever defending against a top MW. Thats enough time for 4 of 5 fights. Meanwhile, Whitaker beat Jacare and Romero. Whitakers belt is the real one.
doesnt work like that buddy.

To be the true champ you have to beat the true champ. Am I right?

Whittaker has yet to do that. So in the meantime he can be other “other” MW champ. No longer interim though....the title Dana creates and gets a hard on for.
If you consider GSP the true champ, I think you need to think a little harder.

Past prime Bisping? He was on the best winning streak of his career and by far. Go to bed.
Yes, and yet It's still quite clear he's not at his absolute best. He's been fighting for 13 years, you really think he's still In his prime?

If you consider GSP the true champ, I think you need to think a little harder.

Really? That’s all you’ve got?

Christ, sherdog has gone down the shitter. At least respond with something half way intelligent

Really? That’s all you’ve got?

Christ, sherdog has gone down the shitter. At least respond with something half way intelligent
I've already said quite a lot In this thread. What else do you really want me to say? No point really repeating myself.

I am not sherdog, I do me.

The few words I said there articulated the bottom line quite well.

He isn't in my eyes. Bisping lost the belt the moment he faced Dan Henderson. Dan Henderson was ranked #13, 46 years old and on a heavy slide.

The division was stacked. Jacare, Romero, Mousasi, Whittaker, Weidman and a Rockhold rematch were all options. Bisping rejected all those offers for Henderson. That's essentially a forfeit of the belt.

He would have lost to every name mentioned above within two rounds, including a Rockhold rematch. GSP would have never stepped up without Bisping as champ.

It was a manufactured title fight. If WME had been around making 'money' fights like this since the mid 2000s, numerous people could have been duel champs.

Take Anderson Silva. He would have likely beaten Chuck [Without a chin] and Randy at HW to win three belts.

Chuck had already beaten Randy a year before he won the HW title. He could have done the same at HW if they wanted to brand him as a two division champ.

Aldo could have been LW champ the moment the wanted to brand him as a two division champ. He already beat Edgar.

Re: Bisping. He got dropped twice and bludgeoned by a 46 year old Hendo. A guy who in real terms, was likely closer to #30 than #13. Bisping beating Rockhold doesn't change the fact that he has one eye, is almost 40 and heavily on the decline.

Most of the top ten at WW would have beaten Bisping. If they wanted to market Tyron as a two division champ he would have beaten Bisping.

It's simply a manufactured title shot. GSP didn't beat any top five guys to get the shot, and now that he has the belt he won;t be facing any top five guys.

This thread is full of #fakenews. Bisping beat Rockhold for the belt, that's a fact. Fluke or not it happened. May not like but it doesn't change the facts. GSP beat the legit MW champ who so happened to be Bisping. What happened in between is irrelevant and again does not change the facts.

So then the UFC has yet to have a champion of two divisions in your mind cause the only other fighter to accomplish that feat is Randy Couture and he never successfully defended the LHW belt.

Randy is the only one I consider a real 2 div champ. He kicked ass as champ in both divisions.

Back