As long as GSP vacates his belt, why do people care so much if he doesn't defend?

ThatGuy7698

In USADA We Trust
@Brown
Reaction score
Yes it was a bit of a surprise when GSP said he probably won't defend his title, especially after his statements regarding how he feels obligated to defend it.

But, as long as GSP vacates, why does everyone care so much?

It's not like it's going to be a Conor situation where he's going to keep the belt and put the entire division on hold, GSP has too much respect for the sport and other fighters to do that.

Yes it was a bit of a surprise when GSP said he probably won't defend his title, especially after his statements regarding how he feels obligated to defend it.

But, as long as GSP vacates, why does everyone care so much?

It's not like it's going to be a Conor situation where he's going to keep the belt and put the entire division on hold, GSP has too much respect for the sport and other fighters to do that.

DEFEND OR VACATE MOTHERFU.... Oh wait, he actually will.

It wasnt a surprise for one, for two, i think hardcore fans and legit contenders just want to see shit make more sense than money.

It’s because other fighters like Whitaker, Jacare (at the time, more due to Henderson) and Romero deserved rightful shots at the belt, now it looks like bobby knuckles will be promoted to main champion and that annoys me because Bisping should have fought him. If this was GSP plan why did he need to fight Bisping for the belt at all, should off just made it a normal fight but instead he wanted to go down as middleweight champion without defending. I don’t know why your so okay with this but I ain’t. I enjoyed 217 and it was a great event but damn I hate the idea of the belt being shafted around with deserving fighters begging for shots.

I don't have any problems with it.

You either defend or vacate, but if you want to vacate, do it as soon as possible.

There are deserving people waiting for a shot at that belt.
Just give the belt to Whitaker, like Bisping actually already did. Everything else is just show.

It’s because other fighters like Whitaker, Jacare (at the time, more due to Henderson) and Romero deserved rightful shots at the belt, now it looks like bobby knuckles will be promoted to main champion and that annoys me because Bisping should have fought him. If this was GSP plan why did he need to fight Bisping for the belt at all, should off just made it a normal fight but instead he wanted to go down as middleweight champion without defending. I don’t know why your so okay with this but I ain’t. I enjoyed 217 and it was a great event but damn I hate the idea of the belt being shafted around with deserving fighters begging for shots.

So you would have been ok with Bisping and GSP having a non title fight and Bisping not defending his belt? What would be the difference?

My take was that GSP gave it a shot and clearly looked bloated and uncomfortable at 185. He is surrounded by people who feel he should not be at 185 and I agree with that after seeing him fight there. Had he looked the same as he always did at 170 then my opinion would be different.

I agree that the titles should be respected. That is up to the company who owns then to protect that integrity. I can't blame GSP for wanting a big return fight for money and legacy but at the end of the day the company agreed to it.

At least he will actually vacate and not run off to challenge Roy Jones to a boxing match leaving the division in limbo.

TS most would be ok with him vacating, especially with the issues he is having.

But his haters will squeal like a stuck pig as they do about everything and that is because they simply want to see him lose and they believe a bigger MW is the most likely person to beat him. We've already seen the path the haters were getting ready to take if GSp/Whitaker was announced with a few of the more vocal haters saying 'if GSP beat Whtaker he would need to defend at least once more against a true MW sized contender and not just another bloated WW'.

So in answer TS it is simple haters gonna hate.

gsp-o.gif

Exactly what I said.
What infuriates me is holding belts and not defending them like the coked up Leprechaun.
Vacating doesnt bother me. Especially in GSP's case where I dont think he can really fight much bigger guys like Rockhold or Romero.

TS most would be ok with him vacating, especially with the issues he is having.

But his haters will squeal like a stuck pig as they do about everything and that is because they simply want to see him lose and they believe a bigger MW is the most likely person to beat him. We've already seen the path the haters were getting ready to take if GSp/Whitaker was announced with a few of the more vocal haters saying 'if GSP beat Whtaker he would need to defend at least once more against a true MW sized contender and not just another bloated WW'.

Exactly it truly does not matter what you do because it is never enough. It does not matter how you beat them it is never enough.

If he vacates, it's not a problem. That is the right thing to do.
The scumbag from ireland should be doing the same.

As I've said before, belts are basically meaningless in the WME era.

Whittaker was injured, and Romero had just lost. The legit contenders can now have a crack at Knuckles.

honestly, no matter what GSP does, he will get shat on.

"I aff to defend eet, eeets eeen my contract"

People don't like being lied to

as much as a GSP fan that I am.. it just seems everybody knew this was going to happen. It's obvious gsp took this fight only because bisping seemed extreemly winnable....and while one could blame him, we also want to see the warrior looking for a challenge mindset and less of looking for gimmi fights
belts are more and more meaningless it these days.

I'm a GSP fan, but I have to admit I'm disappointed to hear that he's not going to defend. He signed a contract that included him defending it if he won...not defending makes it look like he cherry picked Bisping as an easy fight and wants no part of the rest of the division. Health concerns aside, you gave your word man...

as much as a GSP fan that I am.. it just seems everybody knew this was going to happen. It's obvious gsp took this fight only because bisping seemed extreemly winnable....and while one could blame him, we also want to see the warrior looking for a challenge mindset and less of looking for gimmi fights
belts are more and more meaningless it these days.

But that was a challenge. The people criticizing him don't want him to take a challenge, they want him to do more and more and more, until it's just stupid.

Let's recap. GSP after a 4 years layoff, fights out of his natural division a top 10 MW. How is that not a challenge? It's 100% a challenge, it's just not an impossible task.

Some people just want fighters to be stupid and not think about themselves. They don't want them to be athletes, they want them to be dumb brawlers. GSP is an athlete first and it pisses them off, because it means less blood.

Add to the fact that GSP already had his championship run. He's only coming back for an encore. Why are people expecting a second show again? We've had the show already.

Bcoz he promised.

And mma fans don't like liars.

He is a bad, bad, bad GSP...

The belt doesn't mean as much when it is vacated, simple as that

It wasnt a surprise for one, for two, i think hardcore fans and legit contenders just want to see shit make more sense than money.
Well obviously because it's not their money. I'm sure if fans benefited monetarily depending on how many PPV buys came in, everyone would be clamoring for superfights. All the rightful contender stuff wouldn't seem as important then.

Let's face it, MMA, at least in the UFC, is more entertainment than sport. Especially now that an "Entertainment" talent agency owns it. Is that even a surprise?

Back