I just cant get behind the Ngannou hype...

Travis Fulton has a 141 more submissions than Werdum. That doesn't make him a better grappler.

Ngannou has only been grappling for 5 years of his life and he's only been a professional fighter, with professional training, for 3 years.
He isn't like Stipe who wrestled for half his life in college, etc.

When Francis goes up against someone of Werdum or Cain's skill sets, he will need to end their life quickly or else run the risk of looking like the blue belt he is.
And I don't just mean the ground game, we're talking clinch game as well.

That's what was thought about Overeem's clinch. He has one of the best clinch games and knees in the division, deadly clinch game and when he locked up with Ngannou it looked like Ngannou controlled him with ease.

I dont care how many fights the dude has its just like i said, a matter of context. Overeem and Arlovski are guys known for keeping fights on the feet while also not being able to take a decent punch and Ngannou is known for hitting hard. 2 of the most predictable matchups in recent memory and he gets a title shot off that..?

More accurately, he is getting a title shot off of 6-0 in the UFC with 5 KO's and a standing Kimura. The decapitation of Overeem sealed the deal.

That's what was thought about Overeem's clinch. He has one of the best clinch games and knees in the division, deadly clinch game and when he locked up with Ngannou it looked like Ngannou controlled him with ease.
The fight didn't even last 2 minutes.

Like I said, if Ngannou keeps ending the lives of guys with better grappling than his own in a minute or two, he'll be fine.
If things tread into the late 2nd and 3rd rounds, he's going to run into trouble. That's when your grappling actually matters.

More accurately, he is getting a title shot off of 6-0 in the UFC with 5 KO's and a standing Kimura. The decapitation of Overeem sealed the deal.

Who did he standing kimura? I missed that one but i cant deny thats usually an impressive win regardless of competition

Travis Fulton has a 141 more submissions than Werdum. That doesn't make him a better grappler.
Subs over quality of competition and as a ratio of total fights is absolutely a good indicator of a fighter's ability. No one is saying Ngannou is the best HW grappler, we're saying he's not a bum on the ground.

Some people choose to only believe in fighters after they have destroyed all the best competition. But others look for fighters that seem to have evidence of that potential and root for them. I guess I’m the latter.

HW is finally going to be exciting and not all the same recycled names fighting each other. Reem, Doom, Cain, JDS, Stipe all fighting each other every other month for the past 6 years has tanked itself.

He isnt a “star”, if he wrecks Stipe then sure but i dont know a single casual fan who has heard of the guy despite UFC’s immense push on all their social media platforms
I went to get my hair cut on the Sunday after and all of barbers were talking about it

The fight didn't even last 2 minutes.

Like I said, if Ngannou keeps ending the lives of guys with better grappling than his own in a minute or two, he'll be fine.
If things tread into the late 2nd and 3rd rounds, he's going to run into trouble. That's when your grappling actually matters.

Everyone is beatable man. You are never going to find a fighter that isn't.

Terrified Stipe fans trying to compare him to Brett Rogers is hilarious.

N'Gannou's victories over Arlovski and Reem have nothing to do with their bad chins (but of course everyone say that to discredit him).

More with N'Gannou's feints, counters and footwork. Add to that his incredible punching power, that makes him impressive.

Yes, his KO of Overeem was spectacular. Yes, he is built like a brick shithouse and on a nice win streak. But context

- Overeem has a glass chin. Everyone and their mother expected him to get KOd
- Same with Arlovski
- Cant even name another guy hes beaten. Blaydes..?

Maybe i just havent seen enough of him, or heavyweight has just become so uninteresting, but im just not that excited about the dude. He just seems like a one dimensional brawler to me that is going to get exposed when he fights someone who can take his shots and dish it back. Reminds me of Brett Rogers from Strikeforce (inb4 “racist” or Woodley gifs) before Fedor murked him

So who does he have to beat before you believe in his hype?

I have alot of friends
giphy.gif

He isnt a “star”, if he wrecks Stipe then sure but i dont know a single casual fan who has heard of the guy despite UFC’s immense push on all their social media platforms
He very well might become one. He has the look, the power, the story and he's actually more charismatic than you'd know by first glance.

Everyone is beatable man. You are never going to find a fighter that isn't.
Totally agree, just putting his skill set in context for people. Tempering expectations is what I'd call it.

His greatest asset right now is his athleticism and lack of mileage on his body. A lot of HWs in the division have been put through the ringer.
So he'll win a number of fights with that alone imo.

Yes, his KO of Overeem was spectacular. Yes, he is built like a brick shithouse and on a nice win streak. But context

- Overeem has a glass chin. Everyone and their mother expected him to get KOd
- Same with Arlovski
- Cant even name another guy hes beaten. Blaydes..?

Maybe i just havent seen enough of him, or heavyweight has just become so uninteresting, but im just not that excited about the dude. He just seems like a one dimensional brawler to me that is going to get exposed when he fights someone who can take his shots and dish it back. Reminds me of Brett Rogers from Strikeforce (inb4 “racist” or Woodley gifs) before Fedor murked him

The issue for me though is that HW today doesn't really have anyone that slick standing, the division is full of guys I can see someone big fast and powerful with decent technique blasting though quickly.

Stipe with multiple title defences for example is not IMHO "full tested" either, rather he'd been picking the holes in opponents games for quick finishes.

Terrified Stipe fans trying to compare him to Brett Rogers is hilarious.

Congrats, you are a prime example of the worst kind of poster

Not everyone is a nuthugger, dont let the conor fanboys fool you. I like Ngannou im just not sold on him as a title contender

as people said, you can say similar things about miocic

hunt - came in overweight, had to cut weight. for a guy that doesn't have the best cardio in the world, that definitely didn't help
arlovski - beat browne in that back and forth minute fight, had that horrendous mir fight and went on to fight miocic. not that bad of a win, but also not great
werdum - fought like a retard
reem - almost got KO'ed, reem shit the bed and he won the fight
JDS - washed up

So who does he have to beat before you believe in his hype?

It’s same with jones

1st he didn’t beat anybody good, then the guys he beat are past their prime or injured

There’s something about them ppl don’t like but can’t see what it is..

Back