Al Franken probably will have to resign...

Well this should get interesting now...

Al Franken announces he will resign from the Senate
By Ed O'Keefe, Elise Viebeck and Karen Tumulty
December 07 at 9:54 AM MST
Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) announced on the Senate floor Thursday that he is resigning in the coming weeks following multiple allegations that he sexually harassed women.

Franken’s decision comes a day after a majority of Senate Democrats called for his resignation after determining that they could no longer tolerate his presence.

They turned on one of their party’s most popular figures with stunning swiftness, led by the Senate’s Democratic women, who were joined in short order by more than half of the Democratic caucus.

The announcement comes amid a reckoning on Capitol Hill over allegations of sexual harassment against powerful lawmakers.

“Enough is enough,” Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) said at a news conference. “We need to draw a line in the sand and say none of it is okay, none of it is acceptable. We as elected leaders should absolutely be held to a higher standard, not a lower standard, and we should fundamentally be valuing women. That is where this debate has to go.”

Franken’s office said he would make an announcement about his future at 11:45 a.m. Thursday on the Senate floor.

When he steps down, a replacement will be appointed by Minnesota’s Democratic governor to serve until the 2018 election.

The drive to purge Franken, coming a day after Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) resigned under pressure in the House, was a dramatic indication of the political toxicity that has grown around the issue of sexual harassment in recent months.

It also stood as a stark — and deliberate — contrast with how the Republicans are handling a parallel situation in Alabama, where Roy Moore, their candidate for U.S. Senate in next week’s special election, is accused by women of pursuing them when they were teenagers and he was in his 30s.

Although most of the alleged actions took place before he was a senator, Franken was becoming a growing liability to his party, and Republicans had seized upon the allegations against him.

At Moore’s Tuesday night rally, conservative pundit Gina Loudon declared that Republicans did not need lectures on morality from Democrats who had struggled with their own sex scandals, and cited both Conyers and Franken.

President Trump, himself the target of multiple allegations of sexual assault, has enthusiastically endorsed Moore, and the Republican Party is once again pouring money into the race after initially pulling back. Leading Senate Republicans have also toned down their negative comments about Moore, saying his fate should be up to the voters of Alabama and — if he is elected — the Senate Ethics Committee.

“I’m looking for where are the Republican voices? Where is their outrage?” Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) said on CNN.

Republican leaders remained quiet amid the developments.

Asked about Franken on Wednesday, Senate GOP Whip John Cornyn (Tex.) said he would “leave it up to [Democrats] to deal with members of their own party.”

The move by Senate Democrats to oust Franken marked a dramatic turnaround in the fortunes of the onetime “Saturday Night Live” star. The senator from Minnesota had emerged as one of the Trump administration’s sharpest foils on Capitol Hill — and as a potential 2020 presidential contender.
Over the past three weeks, more than a half-dozen women have accused Franken of unwanted advances and touching. He apologized, saying in some cases that he had not intended to give offense and in others that he did not recall events as the women did.

The latest allegation against Franken came in a report published Wednesday by Politico. A former congressional aide whose name was withheld by the publication claimed that Franken had tried to forcibly kiss her after a taping of his radio show in 2006, two years before his election to the Senate.

The woman claimed that Franken had told her, “It’s my right as an entertainer.”

Franken’s alleged offenses were arguably less serious than those attributed to Moore, or to Conyers, the longest-serving member of Congress, who was accused of demanding sexual favors from the women who worked for him. Until late last week, it appeared that Franken’s fellow Democrats would allow his case to work its way through the Senate Ethics Committee, a process that would take months and perhaps years to reach a resolution.

As recently as Nov. 26, Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), the Senate’s second-ranking Democrat, argued on CNN: “Al Franken has acknowledged what he did was wrong, and it was wrong. He has also submitted his whole case to the Senate Ethics Committee. I think that was the right thing to do. Let’s have a hearing, an investigation. Let’s let this really reach whatever conclusion it is going to reach, but through a due process.”

But on Wednesday, Durbin expressed no such forbearance. “Senator Franken’s conduct was wrong. He has admitted to it. And he should resign from the Senate.”

Even as Senate Democrats expressed support publicly for leaving Franken’s fate in the hands of the Ethics Committee, his female colleagues were increasingly unsettled as new accusers went public.

“People were at the edge of their patience with this. They’d had enough. One more allegation was going to be it,” said one senior aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private deliberations.

Another said female Democratic senators had been discussing it among themselves “on the Senate floor, even in the ladies’ room.”

“Many people have been talking about this for some time,” Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) said. “It wasn’t coordinated. It just happened.”

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), who has served in the Senate longer than most of her female colleagues, said it was “significant that the women on his side of the aisle led the way” and added that she believed the latest allegation was “in some ways the final straw for people.”
Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), who had stood by his friend in the wake of the allegations, called Franken after the Politico story broke early Wednesday and told him directly he had to resign, according to a person familiar with the call, who added that this came before other senators began calling for him to step down.

Schumer also met with Franken and his wife at the leader’s apartment early afternoon to discuss resigning. The session ended without a firm commitment from Franken to do so, said the source, who was granted anonymity to speak frankly about the private exchange.

In recent days — before Wednesday’s report — Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who has known Franken for nearly two decades, had also told Franken he needed to step down, aides familiar with their discussions said. On Wednesday, Warren issued a short public statement, saying, “I think he should resign.”

Franken had staved off public calls for his ouster last week, according to a person who has been in touch with the senator and his staff in recent days.

There was a “mad rush” last week to call on Franken to resign when more allegations surfaced, said the person, who was granted anonymity to speak frankly about private discussions. “I think that people were talked off the ledge at that point and wanted to recollect and figure out if the Senate Ethics investigation should just move forward.”

But, “I’m pretty sure that Al should have known that if there was another story that came out that there’d be a mass exodus away from him.”

Outside the chamber, growing numbers of Democrats had been making the case that it was untenable for Franken to remain in the Senate if their party hoped to maintain the high ground on the issue.

Among those calling for Franken to step down was Doug Jones, Moore’s Democratic opponent in Alabama.

And though she did not mention Franken by name, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) had declared a policy of “zero tolerance” when she called last week for Conyers to leave the House. On Wednesday, Pelosi declared that she was “very proud of the fact that people are taking this matter head on and are trusting women who come forward, what they have to say.”

So let me get this straight: Guys who grope women in public WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT should not face career repercussions?

Are you serious? That "doesn't bother you personally that much"?

Again, you liberals are the absolute WEIRDEST.

What a weird take on my post. You're so hyperpartisan that it's like a learning disability.

Good. Gives Dems the moral high ground.

In addition to the fact that their policies aren't sadistic attacks on the poor...

Last edited:
LALALALALA I believe the Dem is a scumbag but not my beloved Roy Moore.

Let me ask why are all these woman lying? ALL OF THEM.
Also Trump and Moore? Innocent
Franken and Conyers? Guilty Right?

You guys are jokes
Franken should most certainly not step down for this shit. Only one shred of real "evidence" against him. Whether or not he's actually guilty of abusing his position his is most certainly a victim of his own ideologies social policies. That sword cuts both ways and simply being on the side of the Lefty angels doesn't grant blanket immunity, especially given how much that side likes to sacrifice or martyr their own in the name of questionable social justice issues.

Conyers was a confirmed dirt bag with the money trail to show for it. Cry no crocodile tears for him on either side of the isle.

Trump - Should have his day in court if there is anything substantiating that he actually did anything more than run his mouth or take advantage of his position as a wealthy and powerful man with women looking for a taste. You can convict him in the court of public opinion for what he's said already that is certain, but once again, he said she said. I've already said in this forum more than once you can feel free to remove him because I'm more interested in seeing what Pence will do with the Presidency.

Moore - Not going to rehash what I've just recently written other than to say if he is unfit for the position it should be due to his views and prior actions as a judicial representative. This hearsay witch hunt offers nothing of any real substance that can be verified, but it makes for a more realistic chance to convict him the court of public opinion than being able to legally mobilize enough voters to keep him from the position. Either way, I don't care if he gets it or not. But running ANY politician out of office for unsubstantiated hearsay is not only bull, it runs counter to the rule of law we squawk about upholding and does nothing but further damage legitimate verifiable claims. It also makes for a very convenient and underhanded method to deal with troublesome politicians one simply can't vote out of office.

In addition to the fact that their policies aren't sadistic attack on the poor...

That's what it comes down to. If people really want to make a change here, they have to come down harder on their own, and that's what liberals are doing. The contrast now couldn't be clearer. Most Republican voters care so little about morality that they'll vote for a serial groper for president and a child molester for the Senate, while liberals won't tolerate more minor groping.

That's what it comes down to. If people really want to make a change here, they have to come down harder on their own, and that's what liberals are doing. The contrast now couldn't be clearer. Most Republican voters care so little about morality that they'll vote for a serial groper for president and a child molester for the Senate, while liberals won't tolerate more minor groping.
Phrasing.

In addition to the fact that their policies aren't sadistic attack on the poor...

There's a chance here that having the "moral high ground" is not allowing the Dems to stop these "sadistic attacks" on the poor, though.

By all accounts Lyndon B Johnson was a real bastard. Franklin Roosevelt wasn't necessarily the nicest guy either. Nor Bill Clinton. They were also probably the most successful politicians the Democrats ever had, as far as bull-dozing through "progressive" changes.

Today, they'd be out of a job.

There's a chance here that having the "moral high ground" is not allowing the Dems to stop these "sadistic attacks" on the poor, though.

If public morality is low, that's going to be reflected in leadership. Making improvements has to come at all levels and across society. The hope is that these kinds of harsh actions taken against creeps will reduce creepy behavior enough that in the future it will be less of an issue. Franken's a smart dude, but he's not irreplaceable in the long run. No one in politics is.

By all accounts Lyndon B Johnson was a real bastard. Franklin Roosevelt wasn't necessarily the nicest guy either. Nor Bill Clinton. They were also probably the most successful politicians the Democrats ever had, as far as bull-dozing through "progressive" changes.

Today, they'd be out of a job.

Yep. Progress. I don't think for a minute that there wasn't someone who could do everything LBJ did who wasn't a creep.

Wow, he actually resigned. Crazy times.

On the tape he said he doesn't wait for an answer that he just kisses them. You can grab them by the pussy. That is the same shit Franken is accused of.

And the evidence is the women that accuse him of sexual assault and the Miss America contestants who said he walks in unannounced while they were naked.

I know, you don't want to believe it, but that doesn't make it so. And we can play that stupid game with Franken. Any DNA evidence? Fingerprints? Nope, just a photo that could have been photoshopped! He said he didn't remember it! I don't agree with any of that just pointing out how lame your argument is.

I think the situations are pretty similar. Sounds like Franken posed for pictures thinking it would be funny to do a little ass grab, and many people probably did think it was funny, but some didn't. Likewise, Trump probably assumed that his gropings would be welcome, and sometimes it was, but when it wasn't, people felt trapped and assaulted.

If public morality is low, that's going to be reflected in leadership. Making improvements has to come at all levels and across society. The hope is that these kinds of harsh actions taken against creeps will reduce creepy behavior enough that in the future it will be less of an issue. Franken's a smart dude, but he's not irreplaceable in the long run. No one in politics is.

The hope is that. The reality is different. It's a vulnerability that will be exploited by Republicans, even America's foreign enemies, who frankly, do not give a shit about feminist causes. It is way too easy to set up a Democrat in a compromising situation, and have him fall on his sword. Decades of public service, gone into the wind. A potent enemy, extinguished.

In case people hadn't noticed, these are the sort of strategies that are used by America's foreign rivals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kompromat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zersetzung#Against_individuals

Yep. Progress.

Progress in what direction? All I can see is that one of Trump's most potent enemies has been cut off by his own. That's a huge advantage for the Republicans and the conservatives to keep hammering away at progressive policy. A big proponent of the Mueller probe has been silenced.

All for the sake of meaningless virtue-signaling that hardly even resonates with the common voter. Well, good luck with that, I consider it a boon, almost an unfair advantage over the "left". But I can't really bother with people who sabotage themselves. If that is their wish, then so be it.

I think the situations are pretty similar. Sounds like Franken posed for pictures thinking it would be funny to do a little ass grab, and many people probably did think it was funny, but some didn't. Likewise, Trump probably assumed that his gropings would be welcome, and sometimes it was, but when it wasn't, people felt trapped and assaulted.
Exactly this.

Maher has been touching on this for a while. The Dems refusal to play a little dirty(pubic image wise at least) is killing them. Take the perceived moral high ground all you want. Who is in control of the country?

They're like the extremely religious person always trying to follow the rules to an absurd degree, and then pondering why God keeps punishing them. One day they're gonna snap Ned Flanders style. It might just happen when they realize all this posturing didn't do shit to Roy Moore, and when all the dust settles, the Reps just end up gaining another seat.

Even the other stuff is identical, like the women accusing Franken of unwanted kisses, which Trump actually cops to in the tape.

Agreed, it's pretty similar.

We'll see. Again, if it just means that Democrats have to behave better, I am fine with that. I don't think it'll mean that they just all lose, though it could mean some losses.

Toward higher standards of behavior from people in power.

Franken wasn't in power when he committed these "crimes". He was a comedian.

The only thing we accomplish, is that we further detach the public perception from private reality. Politicians will simply become more secretive, more two-faced, more dishonest, to avoid being made an "example" of by the lusty mob that cannot live up to the standards that it expects from those working a public office.

People are bound to involve themselves in various sorts of debauchery. It's going to happen. We aren't going to make it stop, the Christian church already tried.

The hope is that. The reality is different. It's a vulnerability that will be exploited by Republicans, even America's foreign enemies, who frankly, do not give a shit about feminist causes. It is way too easy to set up a Democrat in a compromising situation, and have him fall on his sword. Decades of public service, gone into the wind. A potent enemy, extinguished.

In case people hadn't noticed, these are the sort of strategies that are used by America's foreign rivals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kompromat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zersetzung#Against_individuals

Progress in what direction? All I can see is that one of Trump's most potent enemies has been cut off by his own. That's a huge advantage for the Republicans and the conservatives to keep hammering away at progressive policy. A big proponent of the Mueller probe has been silenced.

All for the sake of meaningless virtue-signaling that hardly even resonates with the common voter. Well, good luck with that, I consider it a boon, almost an unfair advantage over the "left". But I can't really bother with people who sabotage themselves. If that is their wish, then so be it.

There's an interesting conspiracy being floated about by Hollywood people who know both Al and Leeann Tweeden that she was carefully coached by Rodger Stone to tell a story designed for maximum political impact. If so, the plan worked flawlessly and you're correct that other democrats are going to be vulnerable.

There's an interesting conspiracy being floated about by Hollywood people who know both Al and Leeann Tweeden that she was carefully coached by Rodger Stone to tell a story designed for maximum political impact. If so, the plan worked flawlessly and you're correct that other democrats are going to be vulnerable.

It's just a very convenient thing to happen at a time when Franken had taken a leading role as Trump's critic in the Democrat circles, especially in regards to the Mueller investigation. He offered a public face that resonated with the common man.

Now that he's gone, that's a big monkey off the back of Trump.

Back