I'm Fine With GSP Not Defending BUT Not McGregor

I ate toast for breakfast. Can you make that about Conor too?

It's not egregious. The belt is a promotional tool. The UFC wanted him to win the belt and they wanted him to fight Floyd.

This is the UFC leveraging their assets, nothing more.
He won the belt and he fought floyd. The belt is a promotional tool, yes, but it also effects fighter pay and matchmaking.

That's ridiculous reasoning that has no relevance

Gsp's situation was far far worse.

Gsp was retired for 4 years and got a title shot while having never ever fought at MW before.

Gsp coming back and getting that title shot is what messed up MW to begin with.

Gsp even had it in cotract that he was supposed to defend.

So Gsp basically pulled a con job with the only goal to win a good match up and then bounce. Thats despite Gsp always claiming the opposite pre-fight...

Thats far far far far worse...

Conor said he does plan to defend vs Tony. The reason why Conor isn't fighting is because the UFC are not paying Conor his worth. So for Conor all blame goes on UFC for being cheap skates with Conor despite the fact Conor was responsible over 50% of revenue for 2016 and 2017 (Conor's boxing match is the only reason why UFC still made great profits this year)

Furrhermore,

Conor was an active fighter and active champion moving up a weight class. So his title shot was far more justified then Gsps....

Conor brought excitement and history to his title fight and title win

Conor winning the title didnt fuck up LW, like Gsp winning the MW belt did.

With Conor, it was also Khabib pulling out multiple times against Tony that fucked up the LW division

So in other words,

1. Gsp himself fucked up MW. Where as Conor was not responsible for any log jams at LW. Any supposed log jams at LW were all caused by "2 fights in 4 years Khabib" and "I turn down fights left and right Nate".

2. Gsp never even deserved the shot. Where as Conor was an actual active fighter and current champion getting a far more justified shot at a higher weight.

Btw,

Conor haters love to talk about how Conor's "2 belt accomplishment was manufactured"...

Wrong! Gsp's 2 belt accomplishment WAS MANUFACTIRED as Gsp's MW belt was a complete joke.

Heck Conor is the most legit 2 belt champ in MMA history. Conor is the only 2 belt champ who was truly ranked #1 in both divisions they won the belts of. Conor is the only 2 belt champ who beat the real lineal #1 champs of two divisions

3. Conor not fighting right now is the result of the UFC and neogations. Conor just came out and set the record straight recently stating HE DOES WANT TO FIGHT, but that he needs to be paid his worth and fair share first
<GSPWoah>

They can be awesome for what they've done, and suck for what they've recently done at the same time. Conor destroyed the P4P number 1, and is probably the best LW in the world. He's also fucking the LW division by not defending.

GSP can be a GOAT, but he can also be the guy who stalled the MW division for over a year to cherry pick a favorable match up, with no intention of defending.
You can also blame Dana and WME for allowing GSP to fight Bisping. This was all done for the $$$$. As much as I like GSP, he never should have rightfully been given a title shot in his first fight back after a 4 year layoff. Ridiculous when you think about it. They had plenty of other options at 185 to replace Whittaker after he got injured.

If you're making excuses for either man, you're just being a blind fool.

Two fake champions, but at LEAST Conor actually beat the real champion. At LEAST Eddie beat a true champion in dos Anjos.

I hate Conor more than anyone, but this fake GSP rewriting history angle is just ridiculous. The guy ducked Anderson for years, now he pulls this stunt?

McGregor is way more egregious because he's sitting on the belt while he doesn't defend. GSP's move, while disappointing, doesn't blockade his division.

Let me ask you (or anyone else, please chime in) why is it important or whatever the right word is that Conor defends the belt?

I'm not trying to justify him not defending it, but I don't think he has put a blockade on the LW division as much as people say. I think Ferguson and Nurmagomedov was a clear 'winner gets the next title shot' and regardless if Nurmagomedov fought or not, I think there would have being a stalling of either him or Ferguson not fighting for the belt.

As for the other fighters sniffing around; Barboza has being out injured. Nurmagomedov's weight cut took him time to recover from. Lee fought Ferguson for the interim belt and lost. Alvarez made some comment that he had to work his way back up, IIRC. If Gaethje beat Alvarez he was going to call out Ferguson, but I don't think Ferguson takes that fight.

There is fights happening, but there is only one clear contender and that's Ferguson. There was some interview I read late last night where Conor was talking about a new deal not being made yet and that he'll be back in 2018.

Lol,
Gsp: all time great, 9 title defenses, champ for 6 years, 2 time ww champ, never picked a fight during his reign and took all comers.

He deserved to pick one fight

Conor: never defended a belt in his life, not because of a real reason other than he is afraid of losing.

They don't compare

He won the belt and he fought floyd. The belt is a promotional tool, yes, but it also effects fighter pay and matchmaking.
He fought Floyd because the UFC wanted him to. This situation is 100% on them. And they won't strip him yet exactly because he was doing what they wanted him to do.

Let me ask you (or anyone else, please chime in) why is it important or whatever the right word is that Conor defends the belt?

I'm not trying to justify him not defending it, but I don't think he has put a blockade on the LW division as much as people say. I think Ferguson and Nurmagomedov was a clear 'winner gets the next title shot' and regardless if Nurmagomedov fought or not, I think there would have being a stalling of either him or Ferguson not fighting for the belt.

As for the other fighters sniffing around; Barboza has being out injured. Nurmagomedov's weight cut took him time to recover from. Lee fought Ferguson for the interim belt and lost. Alvarez made some comment that he had to work his way back up, IIRC. If Gaethje beat Alvarez he was going to call out Ferguson, but I don't think Ferguson takes that fight.

There is fights happening, but there is only one clear contender and that's Ferguson. There was some interview I read late last night where Conor was talking about a new deal not being made yet and that he'll be back in 2018.
This is a very good post. Yes, LW has been held up in the fact that Ferguson hasn't been able to fight for the belt. But that aside there hasn't actually been a massive impact to a huge number of fighters.

Conor needs to fight Tony in the near future once he is healthy, sure.

Double standards on Sherdog.

Anyway...Conor wins again.

Big difference - GSP vacated.

Conor is just banging hoes and snorting cocaine.

He used his family ffs to have an excuse to not defend. Oh Conor jr is coming. I cannot fight.

1 year later, 100mln richer - he bangs hookers in London going full Bones.

If you would graduate the "being a fraud" level - GSP is 2/10. Conor is way beyond the scale.

He has all hate h e deserved. No double standards.

He fought Floyd because the UFC wanted him to. This situation is 100% on them. And they won't strip him yet exactly because he was doing what they wanted him to do.
If he was doing what they wanted him to do, he would be fighting at 219 like was initially optimistically projected.

GSP doesn't have the history of never defending a belt. He did it for YEARS at the 170lbs division. Conor has never done it ONCE in his entire career.

Also, GSP has only been champ for a month or so. Conor has been the champ at 155 for over a year now, and instead of defending, decided to box TBE because he wanted a huge pay day, and also didn't want to put his title in danger. By never defending, you can't really "lose" your belt can you? You can only be stripped.

Conor really is a sad excuse for a champion. #Fact.
Title defenses have nothing to do with it.

Put aside your blind hate for Conor for a moment and think objectively for a second (I know that will be hard for you especially since the topic is Conor)

It was stated in Gsp's contract that he must defend. So only Gsp was legally bound to defend. Only Gsp refused to fulfil a contract.

So Gsp vacating is far worse

Gsp basically pulled a con job.

Gsp got a gift title shot off 4 years of retirement. Only came back because he saw Bisping as an easy match up.

Gsp took the fight with no intention of ever doing anything he was promising pre-fight, then quit.

Again, it was literally a CON JOB by Gsp

Gsp's 2 belt accomplishment was literally the definition of manufactured

and Gsp fanboys should be pissed.

Where as Conor was an active fighter, and at the time was the FW champion moving up to get a justified title shot at a higher weight

Conor didnt wait for a 155lb version of Bisping to win the belt. Conor was set to fight RDA. Conor was fighting who ever was the LW champ

Conor was actually legit trying to win a legit belt against a legit champion (Alvarez was 28-4 coming off of smashing RDA)

Not only that, Conor's title fight and title win brought history and prestige

Where as Gsp's title fight and title win only lag jammed MW

Any log jams at LW were caused by Khabib pulling out and Nate turning down fights

Conor was not responsible for log jams at LW

Gsp was soley responsible for any log jams at MW

It's only been 1 year since Conor won LW belt

At one point in time Aldo didnt defend his title for 2 years

So relax with the Conor "not defending" propaganda

Conor said HE WANTS TO FIGHT Tony. Blame the UFC for not paying Conor what Conor deserves.

The ONLY thing stopping Conor from fighting right now are UFC's disgusting lowball neogations and low pay

Last edited:
You can also blame Dana and WME for allowing GSP to fight Bisping. This was all done for the $$$$. As much as I like GSP, he never should have rightfully been given a title shot in his first fight back after a 4 year layoff. Ridiculous when you think about it. They had plenty of other options at 185 to replace Whittaker after he got injured.
Exactly. Gsp getting the title shot at MW was actually truly bad..

There were so many others at MW who deserved it. Gsp was 4 years retired

Where as tell me who else at LW deserved it more then Conor, besides Tony?

Certainly not "2 fights in 4 years, no top 5 wins Khabib"

Conor was not only an actual active fighter, Conor was the FW champion moving up to challenge himself at a higher weight.

Conor had already beaten two top 10 LWs prior (Poirier and Nate)

Conor had already fought at 155 before

Where as again, Gsp was 4 years retired getting a title shot after having never even fought at MW before

Last edited:
But that aside there hasn't actually been a massive impact to a huge number of fighters.

But I've read folk saying 'oh, other fighters won't take fights until Conor starts defending' Diaz is probably the only one sitting out and he should not be getting the next fight against Conor. I'd watch the 3rd fight, but only if/when Conor loses the belt.

Conor most likely defends in march against tony stop whinging its not like hes taken another fight. He plays most people on here for fools. Do you think if he said a month ago he was fighting tony on a certain date that his name would be constantly circling social media? Him mentioning stuff like fighting paulie, nate, oscar, max is all to keep making headlines and potentially set up future fights.

There are still good fights. They are still happening. Just forget about the belt.
I just might have to, but when you watch the sport for over a decade, it's not easy to let go of legitimacy and embrace the circus.

I just might have to, but when you watch the sport for over a decade, it's not easy to let go of legitimacy and embrace the circus.
When you've watched the sport for over 20 years then it is easier than ever. The circus has always existed, the legitimacy has never been more than a veneer.

If he was doing what they wanted him to do, he would be fighting at 219 like was initially optimistically projected.
'Was doing' vs 'is doing'. He sure was doing what they wanted. Right now I think he has them by the scrote and they will take him back on terms much closer to his.

Dana and the UFC will most likely be very cautious of giving him another fight, if at all.

Why would GSP fight again?

He clearly fights these days at least for himself and no one else.

Dudes a GOAT.

Love him or hate him he dedicated a large portion of his life to messing people up, gotta respect that.

Back