Best boxers in the UFC

fluffball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Spurred by a thread in the idiot part of these forums, the UFC.

For boxing rules.

I suggested Tony Ferguson 1.
Masvidal at 2.
I might put Cub Swanson at 3.

For boxing rules.

Masvidal at 2.

Cody? I know he is a necktat, but solid boxing for MMA

Moose? Wait, not in UFC anymore, thanks Dana

Conor? Okay, he ducks, he does not want to defend, but he didn't earn those belts by being a shitty boxer

Kelvin? Fucking fast hands

I don't see the good boxer in Tony. And I like his fighting style a lot. But boxing... hmmm

I don't see the good boxer in Tony. And I like his fighting style a lot. But boxing... hmmm

Really? That's not the first time I've heard that. I think his boxing is on the fuck point. His uppercuts are insane.

You put Tony as the best under boxing rules? Damn.

Really? That's not the first time I've heard that. I think his boxing is on the fuck point. His uppercuts are insane.

I think a lot of people expect a boxer to have pristine clean technique, but guys like Naseem Hamed didn't have clean technique in the sport of boxing, but still had great strategy.

Best boxers in the UFC in my opinion would be:

Conor McGregor (say what you will but he had a decent showing in the ring, although far from great)
Max Holloway (very clean and technical, knows to work the body)
Stipe Miocic
And honestly probably Frankie Edgar, he'll always mix it with takedowns but he is very good as a striker.

I think a lot of people expect a boxer to have pristine clean technique, but guys like Naseem Hamed didn't have clean technique in the sport of boxing, but still had great strategy.
Naseem would make people miss though. He also had insane speed.

I like Tony. He is a very dangerous offensive fighter when he gets momentum and starts getting creative in there. Hard to read, beautiful elbows and a pretty good flicker jab when he uses it. But to call him the best boxer in the UFC would be overselling his boxing ability. He gets by on his creativity, mixing things up, cardio, toughness and chin.

Stipe is another one I feel is overrated in the boxing department.

Don't know who the best would be right now in there UFC, but who I think would do best under boxing rules would probably be:

Conor, Masvidal, Cody, Nate, Pearson, Rivera, Duffy and Holloway. I'll throw Ngannou in there if he looks good against Stipe. Maybe Gus, Green, Dillashaw and Aldo too. Ortega is really sharpening up his boxing and looked pretty good against Swanson, which himself is a guy that has good boxing understanding, even if he's wild.

Naseem would make people miss though. He also had insane speed.

I like Tony. He is a very dangerous offensive fighter when he gets momentum and starts getting creative in there. Hard to read, beautiful elbows and a pretty good flicker jab when he uses it. But to call him the best boxer in the UFC would be overselling his boxing ability. He gets by on his creativity, mixing things up, cardio, toughness and chin.

Stipe is another one I feel is overrated in the boxing department.

Don't know who the best would be right now in there UFC, but who I think would do best under boxing rules would probably be:

Conor, Masvidal, Cody, Nate, Pearson, Rivera, Duffy and Holloway. I'll throw Ngannou in there if he looks good against Stipe. Maybe Gus, Green, Dillashaw and Aldo too. Ortega is really sharpening up his boxing and looked pretty good against Swanson, which himself is a guy that has good boxing understanding, even if he's wild.

Remember the days of the Silva matrix? :( </3

You put Tony as the best under boxing rules? Damn.

Who do you see beating him at that weight? He's outstanding.

He's reached where he is based on being an awesome MMA fighter in every range, but people forget he's started out a boxer. His early wins he really lit people the hell up on the feet.

For boxing rules.

Masvidal at 2.

holding pads for cub

297984_2578199460671_1503760172_n.jpg

Tactics will always be above technique. You have the worse looking donkey kong hammerfist slap, but if you know how to time, setup, and use it, it'll always land; And damaging as well

Boxing rules? I still think Garbrandt even though he lost to TJ.

Joe Duffy, Conor McGregor (Yes I know right?), Cody, Nate, Jimi Manuwa probably too.

Is it true that he spars with gym war intensity?

i dunno, me and him were roughly the same skill level back in the day. he would come to my old muay thai gym for stand up training and we would "thai spar" together all the time, sometimes medium but never all out, me and him always got good work together, now at this gym me and other guys would go all out, but never me and him as we were friends. This was way back when he had only a few amateur MMA fights. we were freinds both in and out of the gym at the time. I had a falling out with that gyms head coach and disassociated myself with him and everyone associated with it. I quit training, and struggles financially, this all goes back to me having nowhere to live as a youth, with no education etc. and battling homelessness and strugling financially etc. (whole nother long story).....anyways, while I was doing all that bullshit, he continued on the path he was on, fighting and training, about 6-7 years later he went pro wce, which was bought out by the UFC, and come to find out hes one of the top mma fighters in the game now. I havent talked to him in a long time, but if we bumped into eachother im sure he would say hi etc as like I said, we were friends back in the day, our lives just went down different paths.

i dunno, me and him were roughly the same skill level back in the day. he would come to my old muay thai gym for stand up training and we would "thai spar" together all the time, sometimes medium but never all out, me and him always got good work together, now at this gym me and other guys would go all out, but never me and him as we were friends. This was way back when he had only a few amateur MMA fights. we were freinds both in and out of the gym at the time. I had a falling out with that gyms head coach and disassociated myself with him and everyone associated with it. I quit training, and struggles financially, this all goes back to me having nowhere to live as a youth, with no education etc. and battling homelessness and strugling financially etc. (whole nother long story).....anyways, while I was doing all that bullshit, he continued on the path he was on, fighting and training, about 6-7 years later he went pro wce, which was bought out by the UFC, and come to find out hes one of the top mma fighters in the game now. I havent talked to him in a long time, but if we bumped into eachother im sure he would say hi etc as like I said, we were friends back in the day, our lives just went down different paths.
Thats pretty cool. Sorry to hear about the rough parts on your end. Thats some straight up gym drama nonsense.

I just heard from some folks he goes 100% in sparring so I was wondering. From what you said it sounds like a "hit me as hard as you wanna get hit" type arrangement.

Back