Eddie Bravo Invitational 14: The Absolutes

that was shitty. I saw that and felt bad for her. I really hate the lockdown. I don't even think it's a very effective guard and I think there's a lot of room for stupid injuries with it.

I don't think it should be banned or anything but people that use it tend to aggravate me.

I use lockdown a lot, but more for trying to go for a sweep or not get my guard passed right away. I definitely don't use it to stall or crank it on someone because I know it can cause leg injuries. Just using lockdown but not really going anywhere with it is a waste of time and doesn't improve your jiu jitsu.

So many guys try to copy the Danaher system, including many other competitors last night, but you can tell there's something not quite right about it. Craig Jones is one of the very few who plays that game fluidly, and even seems to add to it (his knee shield, his lateral leg entries).

He has been playing that game before the DDS even existed. DDS did not invent leglocks.

Any resources for the danaher system for dummies? For instance, when you say 4-11 heel hook I would probably recognize this position but have no idea what you're actually talking about
Sure. yeah when I say the 4-11 it's the same as the saddle/inside sankaku/honeyhole/whatever the kids are calling it these days.

Their game seems to be based majorly around limb (leg/arm/neck) control, leading to subs or better positions.

As far as their leg lock game, there are some differences (according to the Danaher guys as well as Rob...Rob Biernacki's set (http://www.grapplearts.com/modern-leglock-formula/) is the best set on modern leg locking there is. By far.

As far as their other stuff, it seems to be based around good back position attacks, good front headlock position attacks (guillotines, darces, anacondas, back takes, crucifix...), and the kimura grip attacking.

So for me, I think studying matches or instructionals in those areas is your best bet.

For the kimura grip attacks, Ryan Hall has a good set called the open elbow and Vagner Rocha has a good one called 5050 of the arms. There's good stuff out there too from Keenan Cornelius, Rafa Mendes, and others.

For the front headlock attacks, I'd study Marcelo Garcia's high elbow guillotine stuff, Josh Hinger's arm-in guillotine stuff, and then Ryan Hall's arm triangles set or Jeff Glover's darcepedia set for the darce stuff, and Rafa Mendes for the anaconda choke (there's good stuff on youtube for it).

For the back attacks, Ryan Hall has a great back attack set. The grip/hand fighting sequences they use is going to be hard to find. I haven't seen anyone do an instructional on. I think they call it the straight-jacket. But watching good back finishers like Marcelo Garcia, Rafa Mendes, Cobrinha, or the Danaher guys should help your back finishes.

One of the instructors from my gym blew out her knee in this event. Lockdown. She said she felt no pressure then her kneecap just went.

Yeah that sucked, I blew out my acl from someone putting me in lockdown. I can't get mad because I used the lockdown for several years.

I would even say that Craig doesn't play the Danaher style. You might think that's a bit of a reach. I'm not sure. Or I at least think he doesn't outright try to emulate it.

The main commonality I see is that he plays a lot of 4-11 heel hooks. But I think his guard, his top game, and his general way of getting to the 4-11 are fairly unique. I've seen the Danaher guys (mostly Oliver Taza) use a lot of the entries that Jones uses, but I think Jones has his own flair and originality.

Yeah I'm not saying he tries to emulate it, just that you see so many guys who do emulate it (incl many other EBI competitors) but all lack a certain flow in their application. So many leglockers have this 'spamming moves' vibe, where it seems like they're either going to get a lightning fast heel hook or nothing, but DDS is noticeably different in the way they dominate the position before proceeding. Jones similarly stands out from the rest of the knee-reaping pack.

poly family in Arizona... what a claim lol

poly family in Arizona... what a claim lol
Ironically, I find this one credible considering everything else there is out there about Aubrey.

Whatever it was, it's clear that Travis fell out with Aubrey, got pushed out of a job/salary promised to him (that he had made sacrifices to procure), and suddenly he wasn't on the "alternate list" for EBI 14. I don't understand why Aubrey, Eddie, or anyone else can produce what that is. Was he being a poor instructor? Not showing up to work? Typically, when you renege on an offer, and you won't even deny it, you can produce some concrete reason for why that employee wasn't working out. They've offered nothing. They just want to sweep it under the rug.

So however they fell out, and only Travis has offered an explanation, it resulted in Aubrey poisoning Eddie's ear against Travis. I imagine Eddie values that sponsorship since Onnit most likely gives him more money than anyone but Joe. Seems pretty straightforward. Travis was part of the crowd. Then he wasn't. So they turned their backs on him.

The only question is...why?

Love the rules. You actually see offensive grappling unlike at the ADCC.
I like the rules too. I might slightly disagree because I think ADCC typically produces fun matches until the finals matches, because of the rule change that happens in only the finals matches.

But overall I genuinely believe that you can make the best rule set of all time to encourage exciting matches. But at that end of the day there are going to be grapplers that will find a way to be boring in exciting rule sets, and grapplers that find a way to be exciting in more boring rule sets.

And I sort of kicked down an open door there because that's a fairly obvious statement

Love the rules. You actually see offensive grappling unlike at the ADCC.

I think there is a big flaw in the rules is the overtime. I don't think you should be given positions if not earned.

So imagine if someone like cobrina or mended competed in ebi. No one would be able to pass their guard or even get close to subbing them. However they could lose in theory if you could make it to overtime.

Ironically, I find this one credible considering everything else there is out there about Aubrey.

Whatever it was, it's clear that Travis fell out with Aubrey, got pushed out of a job/salary promised to him (that he had made sacrifices to procure), and suddenly he wasn't on the "alternate list" for EBI 14. I don't understand why Aubrey, Eddie, or anyone else can produce what that is. Was he being a poor instructor? Not showing up to work? Typically, when you renege on an offer, and you won't even deny it, you can produce some concrete reason for why that employee wasn't working out. They've offered nothing. They just want to sweep it under the rug.

So however they fell out, and only Travis has offered an explanation, it resulted in Aubrey poisoning Eddie's ear against Travis. I imagine Eddie values that sponsorship since Onnit most likely gives him more money than anyone but Joe. Seems pretty straightforward. Travis was part of the crowd. Then he wasn't. So they turned their backs on him.

Who are these people and why should I care about their middle school cattyness?

I honestly know nothing about the guy besides that he runs Onnit. Just thought that specific sentence was hilarious.

Madmick said:

Yeah, such a long winded and vague response seems really... strange? if nothing is amiss.

I think there is a big flaw in the rules is the overtime. I don't think you should be given positions if not earned.

So imagine if someone like cobrina or mended competed in ebi. No one would be able to pass their guard or even get close to subbing them. However they could lose in theory if you could make it to overtime.

isnt the same as in adcc?

the OT rules make for an exiting untie a match that had no winner. Judges decision is horrible, is awarding a win to someone who looked better than the other, grappling isnt striking, and is not like you can give the win the the one who accumulate the most damage possible. With gappling you either have it or dont.

Adcc should adopt ebi rules, keep the overtimes, but if theres no winner after 1 or 2 overtimes, EBI OT rules should be the ones deciding.

Is like saying, penaltys are not a good way to find a winner in soccer, because you dont find who the best team is, well yeah, but you need to find a winner, do you see soccer matches in world cups decided by who almost score more times?

the OT rules make for an exiting untie a match that had no winner. Judges decision is horrible, is awarding a win to someone who looked better than the other, grappling isnt striking, and is not like you can give the win the the one who accumulate the most damage possible. With gappling you either have it or dont.

Adcc should adopt ebi rules, keep the overtimes, but if theres no winner after 1 or 2 overtimes, EBI OT rules should be the ones deciding.

Is like saying, penaltys are not a good way to find a winner in soccer, because you dont find who the best team is, well yeah, but you need to find a winner, do you see soccer matches in world cups decided by who almost score more times?

As a purist I rather see the better grappled earn the win and not given positions at all. It's pretty dumb to declare yourself the winner for holding the back longer or getting armbar from spiderweb position lol

As a purist I rather see the better grappled earn the win and not given positions at all. It's pretty dumb to declare yourself the winner for holding the back longer or getting armbar from spiderweb position lol

but its not to award the win to the guy who looked better? how do you know whos the better grappler if no one scored a single point, let alone no one subbed the other? how about some people just rather play a more lay back game? some people are better at defending and counter attacking and some are better at putting constant pressure, why would one be better than the other if no one scored?

but its not to award the win to the guy who looked better? how do you know whos the better grappler if no one scored a single point, let alone no one subbed the other? how about some people just rather play a more lay back game? some people are better at defending and counter attacking and some are better at putting constant pressure, why would one be better than the other if no one scored?

Strong advantages

In soccer, the penalty period occurs after a long match (plus sudden death overtime) that is tied because neither team could score on the other, or because both teams scored equally. Further, the winner is the team that actually scores the most penalty goals, not whoever ran the fastest.

At the last EBI, Rustam Chisiev completely dominated some no-name muscled super heavyweight, who did nothing but stall from bottom. Rustam had a deep neck crank the last thirty seconds that the guy almost tapped to, but he was able to last to the horn. Then in OT Rustam escapes the guy's back mount in like 15 seconds. When it's Rustam's turn he quickly transitions from back to an arm triangle and then to a similar neck crank, but the ref calls the neck crank an "escape," thus declaring the no-name guy the winner. Total complete bullshit on so many levels. Huge failure of that ruleset.

Back