Elections Alabama Special Senate Election Live Results Thread

It was a different time then. As i already said and was very conveneiently ignored 2017 in california is a bit different. Also 16 is not a helpless child

The brain doesn't fully develop till early to mid 20s. So 16 does start to get into a grey area, but with the information that we have gathered we can look back and say that it was wrong fro a man in his mid 30s to be consistently trying to date girls in their mid teens. Much like we can look back at other parts of history and say shit people used to do was fucked up.

Back on topic of Roy Moore getting pwnt last night and how terrible a candidate he was.

25299518_10159780126290088_2727200632632376816_n.jpg

How much you wanna bet he picked 10 because that's the # of commandments, and he has no actual idea what amendment 5-10 even are?

The brain doesn't fully develop till early to mid 20s. So 16 does start to get into a grey area, but with the information that we have gathered we can look back and say that it was wrong fro a man in his mid 30s to be consistently trying to date girls in their mid teens. Much like we can look back at other parts of history and say shit people used to do was fucked up.

So you would seem to suggest that it would be best for anyone under 20 to abstain from sex altogether. In any case, I would agree with that wholeheartedly.

[EDIT: these numbers are for "from infancy." If (before 1900 in the West) you lived past infancy, to 10 years for instance, you could be expected to live closer to 45 - 50 years, depending on place and time]
A few more remarks and I will use this post to make them:
Pre-20th century in the West life-expectancy could range from place to place from 35 to 40 years. And that is just the average, meaning many were regularly dying significantly younger than that. Outside of the West it was much lower. In India for instance in 1911 it was as low as 23 years. Given those circumstances one can easily see how the accepted age of marriage could be so young. In different places in the West it was as young as 10 to 12 years old. By the time you were 12, you were practically half the age that many would survive to. If you add to this conundrum the premium that was placed on building families PLUS the taboo of extra-marital sex, it is even easier to see why the yoke of matrimony came down at such a young age. But as life-expectancy has risen, naturally, so has the accepted age of marriage.

Last edited:
I'm happy the media are focusing on how many people still voted for Moore instead of just cheering a democratic win. It's worrying how many homophobic, racist, sex offender supporters are still out there.

The only people who push the "America is past racism, sexism, homophobia" narrative are right wingers, who have shown repeatedly even this thread to deflect and project.
"America isn't racist" - says white guy defending cop shooting unarmed black man / white nationalist rallies.
<YeahOKJen>

What about the person who accused him and said she was 14 when it happened?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42054780

Moore defenders won't touch it. Notice how they only talk about the 16 year old and the year book. I even saw some cable pundit from Breitbart dodge that one in an interview. He acknowledged he couldn't explain it.

I do not have kids, and i would encourage her to date one of her peers.

Im also from CA where this is unheard of. If (like at the time and place) it was socially acceptable and he seemed like a good guy, why wouldnt i?

There is nothing morally wrong with having sexual intercourse with a sexually matured woman. That is my statement

You guys are missing it.

ole dirty has definitely banged a 16 year old.
He keeps mentioning it's different in California, and while it may be a laid back city it's still fucked up.
Did you take a visit down to Tijuana or Cancun one time maybe?

He's ignoring the 14 year old. Despite the mother acknowledging they went out, documented they were at court that day. But he's hung up on the 16 year old, a little too hung up.

Turns out people care about a senate seat right now. And Moore has long been the target of ire for people who don't like religious corruption. Have you been paying attention?

Nope lol I heard he's a pedo and knew he lost. Democrats will be back to shitting on it soon, probably as we speak. You even see it in the comments here. "Hey thanks for being progressive and not as backwards and retarded as we thought you were!" After they nearly elected this pedophile lol

Ultimately, we Americans cannot trust a man who is banned from the mall. The mall is our sacred church.

So you would seem to suggest that it would be best for anyone under 20 to abstain from sex altogether. In any case, I would agree with that wholeheartedly.

A few more remarks and I will use this post to make them:
Pre-20th century in the West life-expectancy could range from place to place from 35 to 40 years. And that is just the average, meaning many were regularly dying significantly younger than that. Outside of the West it was much lower. In India for instance in 1911 it was as low as 23 years. Given those circumstances one can easily see how the accepted age of marriage could be so young. In different places in the West it was as young as 10 to 12 years old. By the time you were 12, you were practically half the age that many would survive to. If you add to this conundrum the premium that was placed on building families PLUS the taboo of extra-marital sex, it is even easier to see why the yoke of matrimony came down at such a young age. But as life-expectancy has risen, naturally, so has the accepted age of marriage.
Those numbers are skewed greatly by high infant mortality rates

Those numbers are skewed greatly by high infant mortality rates

[EDIT: actually I found some corrective numbers. no need to reply]

that is a good point. I only this week began to look at the numbers. I have noticed quite surprisingly that whatever the numbers, the accepted age of marriage was indeed quite often from place to place 12 years of age (+-).

Is there some article you could suggest with less-skewed numbers?

Last edited:
Is it true Chuck E Cheese is a popular conservative pick up spot?

President Obama warned Democrats not to "jam" a health care reform bill through now that they've lost their commanding majority in the Senate, and said they must wait for Brown to be sworn into office.

"Here's one thing I know and I just want to make sure that this is off the table: The Senate certainly shouldn't try to jam anything through until Scott Brown is seated," the president told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos in an exclusive interview. "People in Massachusetts spoke. He's got to be part of that process."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/...rush-health-care-scott-brown/story?id=9621040

Reid got the message.

"We're not going to rush into anything," the Senate majority leader said on Capitol Hill Wednesday. "As you've heard, we're going to wait until the new senator arrives before we do anything more on health care. There are many different things that we can do to move forward on health care, but we're not making any of those decisions now."
And John McCain then -

"The American people have spoken," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said on the Senate floor Wednesday. "The people of Massachusetts have spoken for the rest of America. Stop this process."

"Sit down in open and transparent negotiations, let's begin from the beginning," urged the former GOP presidential candidate.

President Obama warned Democrats not to "jam" a health care reform bill through now that they've lost their commanding majority in the Senate, and said they must wait for Brown to be sworn into office.

"Here's one thing I know and I just want to make sure that this is off the table: The Senate certainly shouldn't try to jam anything through until Scott Brown is seated," the president told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos in an exclusive interview. "People in Massachusetts spoke. He's got to be part of that process."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/...rush-health-care-scott-brown/story?id=9621040

Reid got the message.

"We're not going to rush into anything," the Senate majority leader said on Capitol Hill Wednesday. "As you've heard, we're going to wait until the new senator arrives before we do anything more on health care. There are many different things that we can do to move forward on health care, but we're not making any of those decisions now."
And John McCain then -

"The American people have spoken," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said on the Senate floor Wednesday. "The people of Massachusetts have spoken for the rest of America. Stop this process."

"Sit down in open and transparent negotiations, let's begin from the beginning," urged the former GOP presidential candidate.

Well that was when we had a real president.... With a brain

I usually find it helpful to read the links I post as supporting evidence, just in case they in fact do completely the opposite..

<{vega}>

What are you talking about? It says precisely what he says it said: that the age of consent in Alabama is 16.

If disapproving of fucking children is virtue signaling, I don't see why virtue signaling is a bad thing.

@VivaRevolution this might be relevant to your discussion with @Daverisimo on how terms like virtue signaling are used to attempt to shut down arguments rather than debate them.

And per census data, the average age difference in marriages in the 1850s was under 5 years (similar trends in the UK). We don't have census data reaching through all of history, but similar trends hold from the information we do have. Even polygymous cultures tended to marry within 5-10 years of their own age most of the time. Marriages with large age gaps were more common historically, but not as common as you claim.

And marrying 14 year olds has also not been consistently approved historically. The starting age dipped in Tudor England, but before that, 18+ was considered normal, not 14. Younger marriages with big gaps were the exception, mostly occuring in the nobility, not the rule.

@Rod1 just sent this to me in PM.......

@Rod1 just sent this to me in PM.......

I wasn't trying to draw you into the underlying debate, just bringing it up as an example of the way that "virtue signaling" can also be a meaninglessly abused term.

Probably best to stay away from this on yellows though.

Back