Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI v.3 (Dragonlord's Initial Review)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUSTED!!!! I'm calling the theatre to report you for illegal food smuggling! Get'em out!!!
LOL, I brought cookie, a brownie, and a Kit Kat bar for my daughter yesterday. And, I brought one of there for myself:

honey-bunchies-bar-and-split_1_orig.jpg

Just watched and oh boy... I give it a 5.

The movie was entertaining enough but ultimately stupid and a lost opportunity to do something great. All of those youtube Starwars theory channels had way better and interesting predictions than what we actually got.

Spoiler list of stupid things:
- Leia unfreezing and flying around in space like shes a jedi witch
- Snoke being a nobody. Not Darth Plagueis. Not anything interesting. Simply killed off.
- Rey is the child of nobodies
- The Rose Finn love story and how they are setting up Rey being jelous...
- Captain Phasma throwaway character
- BB8 is like the terminator. Riding mechs, shooting coins. At this rate he will be approaching Jar Jar stupid levela in episode 9

Yes, but Palpatine made sense. He was presented as an established fact and it worked. When you are introduced to the idea of an evil empire as a fait accompli at the outset of the trilogy, an evil, super powerful emperor just makes sense.

Snoke is both old and super powerful, and since he did not figure in the original trilogy, a time when he must have been around, his presence cries out for an explanation. I will go farther than that. His presence is totally inexplicable in light of what the films reveal about the star wars universe.

Exactly snoke now makes zero sense, but the universe is a giant place. He could have been hanging in the back working with palp and we didn’t know about it and came around since his fall.

Maybe he was supposed to be the emporers master that he thought he killed but survived and that’s why he looked so jacked up?

Maybe he was one of the emporers old guards that had palp training and got jacked up with the Death Star blowing up, there are so many ways they could have gone with it just to say nothing and boom gone.

Such a freaking waste.

And he was sensing Kylo moving the lightsaber he was just focusing on the wrong one.

Kylo was Turing his towards ray at the same time, and he sensed it about to turn on , just it wasn’t kylos it was Vader’s.

Also as soon as I saw Luke dressed in black with a BLUE lightsaber I knew something was off with that scene

The sith are always killing their masters to take over, so it wasn’t a supprise that Kylo did it too, even though it felt like he was turning good for a moment.

So much is l ft hanging , and with no direction for it to go now

Damn it Johnson!!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, I brought cookie, a brownie, and a Kit Kat bar for my daughter yesterday. And, I brought one of there for myself:

honey-bunchies-bar-and-split_1_orig.jpg

Gangster.:D

I used to sneak in mcd's double cheeseburgers cuz I was tired of movie theatre hot dogs. Slim jims were great too.

i'm not a star wars guy at all, but i find it odd and a little interesting why critics raved about this (maybe payoff?) and audiences are going full tilt depression mode over this.

can someone explain to me why star wars fans are dumping on this so hard? i've heard some things like they don't like the script but it doesn't really tell me much, and after scanning the last 5 pages i still can't quite put a coherent finger on why people are hating the film so much.

They used the exact same puppet. It moved just like the original in esb, much better than cgi yoda. I loved every second he was onscreen.

hmm interesting. I didn't think he looked bad, but I thought he looked different than Empire.

So from the first movie.. the main takeaways.. Who is Snoke.. what was his backstory.. was he Windu/Plaguis? How did he know Luke.. The other major talking point was who were Rey parents?

Basically Snoke was killed off before we find out all the interesting stuff about him.. And Reys parents were scavengers
.. i cant pretend to not be disappointed.. These are what star wars fans care about.. not Finn and some Asian chick

This was Johnson’s way of throwing his dick beaters in there, everyone wanted those questions answer d from Abrams film. He said f it it’s my turn, you’ll get none of what you want have some space race horses, some stable kids ,porgs ,foxes and ugly Asians you filthy aminals.

i'm not a star wars guy at all, but i find it odd and a little interesting why critics raved about this (maybe payoff?) and audiences are going full tilt depression mode over this.

can someone explain to me why star wars fans are dumping on this so hard? i've heard some things like they don't like the script but it doesn't really tell me much, and after scanning the last 5 pages i still can't quite put a coherent finger on why people are hating the film so much.

Because in the scheme of things it was pointless, we have no explainatikns of anything , no where to move forward now

No big bad guy controlling shit. The baddest bad guy has been Merced by a Mary Sue already with no training.

Pointless bull shit

But hey we have porgs.

Disney's TA is dumbasses. If you thought 8/10+ you are a dumbass, now we can refine the dumbass TA and get more specific in what kind of dumbass you are, but it still remains Disney appeals to you because you are a dumbass.

Best Star Wars eveahhh
To be fair, that's every big companies target demographic, as most people are dumb asses.

lol I really liked the Yoda scene and liked that they brought back his music. But, I can't disagree about the look. It was as though they were going more for the original Empire/ROTJ than CGI Yoda from the prequels look but it ended being a weird ammalgamation of the two. What's strange to me is Yoda looked so f'ing awesome in the first two film appearances. Why even change it. I understand for the prequels they had to in order to make Yoda able to fight- and it was worth it in my opinion.

But in this movie- can't you just get Henson Creature Shop gurus to do their magic again. Practical effects trump CGI in that type of intimate context.

Also, I could definitely be way off but I feel like I could only hear Fozzy Bear/Ms. Piggy when Yoda talked in this movie. I know Oz has always had him sound similar to that but it was outright jarring for me in some of his dialogue.

I though he was a puppet in this one as well? Maybe I was wrong. regardless he didn't look anything like empire yoda. I don't know how you mess that up? Surely they still have the original Yoda muppet lying around that they could have fixed back up and restored.

Well, just finished. Worst one since Phantom. Maybe worst one of the bunch. Need to digest this a bit, will review all of your comments before leaving some of my own.

Very disappointed.

<{hfved}>

6.5/10

Major questions from first film.. who is Snoke? And what is Reys lineage.. So many YouTube videos out there with great theories and yet what did this director do?

Whacked Snoke..
Too shock people I guess? But at least give him some back story.. Reminds me of Lost were they failed to tie up pretty much every major mystery..

And Rey? She's just some scavengers kid.. not a Skywalker.. Not related to Palpatine.. just a boring orphan basically

Also Luke was totally wasted but that's just my opinion..

Because in the scheme of things it was pointless, we have no explainatikns of anything , no where to move forward now

No big bad guy controlling shit. The baddest bad guy has been Merced by a Mary Sue already with no training.

Pointless bull shit

But hey we have porgs.

I already mentioned it to @Dragonlordxxxxx but I think the third film will take a big financial hit because of that.

I think Daisy is quite good and like Rey as a character, but Rey, Finn, and Poe are the B-team. They now have a movie to shoulder without the heavy hitters. TFA had the insane hype off a direct sequel to a beloved franchise 30 years old. TLJ had a bunch of compelling questions that Abrams film left up in the air and the insane hype to see Luke Skywalker back. What does the third have? A chance to see the Rebellion take down the Empire?...again. The chance to see Rey murk Kylo...again?

Kylo is a damn solid villain at times, but he is a whiny pos at times too. Getting rid of the mask was symbolically logical in the context of this film, but it was a cool look to the character and I think he lost something when that happened too.

Prolly post some spoilery nitpicks later.

Just watched it and wasn't too impressed with it.

They used the exact same puppet. It moved just like the original in esb, much better than cgi yoda. I loved every second he was onscreen.

That yoda looked nothing like sb yoday. What the hell are you talking about? Agreed I think they were both puppets though.

Yeah by not telling Poe the plan,

she galvanized Dameron and Finn to take matters into their own hands. Finn went on a fool's mission that led to the decimation of her own escape pod plan. But she's stoic and Leia likes her and she talks about hope so I guess she's a good leader...
giphy.gif

Very well said. He was definitely to blame for what he did but, even if it's through hindsight glasses, Dern seemed to really fuck up too. I mean you are in an absolutely dire situation. It's not like you are formulating a plan of attack from some remote base. It's not like you have time and the luxury of being able to strategize ad nauseum before dictating it to the troops and implementing the plan. They were sitting ducks and the enemy was just waiting them out. I don't see how it was any benefit of her to withhold information when he directly asked, hey, what's the plan? He's not some schmuck. He's an officer as well.
Not to mention that she wasn't even in the other film. There was no reason for the audience to accept her gravitas either. Shit tier writing.

Didn't wanna go through all the pages, but Snoke's death left some important questions that will seemingly always go unanswered. Namely the following: who was he and why was he so strong with the force?

Regarding the general state of the galaxy, I just find myself confused. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I have no idea how the First Order rose to their current level of power. I don't feel like the political climate is as coherent in these new movies as the original trilogy or the prequels tbh.

I thought Laura Dern was completely out of place in this movie. Thought it was kinda lame that Akbar got an offscreen death, whereas she got her own extraneous plotline. The kamikaze scene was impressive I will admit.
I questioned how the First Order got so strong the TFA too. Hopefully they explain it in IX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back