Who was better, Sugar Ray Leonard or Roy Jones Jr?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Sugar Ray Leonard and Roy Jones Jr were some of the most naturally talented fighters to ever lace up a pair of gloves. Both were noted for their speed, and both had success at multiple weights. But, who was the better fighter pound for pound?

Sugar Ray. He was the better technician.

You must've forgot...Roy Jones Jr. at his best was magic.

There was no one like him, not Ali, not Leonard and certainly not Floyd. He was the Michael Jordan of boxing.

Sugar Ray. He epitomized the art and proved himself at a higher level.

strange to compare these guys against each other

one barely made MW and had very few fights but fought and beat some superb fighters, the other started at MW and beat possibly 2 fighters who may well be in higher regard than any of Leonards wins

Oh, and one of them won a version of the heavyweight title

Although I see the logic in Seano's answer too. Roy was never part of dramatic fights like Ray was against Duran, Hearns and Hagler.

That could be due to the lack of proper competition or because he was too good. Personally I believe that Roy is the greatest of all time, and he changed boxing with his style.

one barely made MW and had very few fights but fought and beat some superb fighters, the other started at MW and beat possibly 2 fighters who may well be in higher regard than any of Leonards wins

Leonard won belts in like 4 or 5 classes. 2 weight classes in one fight.

Although I see the logic in Seano's answer too. Roy was never part of dramatic fights like Ray was against Duran, Hearns and Hagler.

That could be due to the lack of proper competition or because he was too good. Personally I believe that Roy is the greatest of all time, and he changed boxing with his style.

RJJ isn't the greatest of all time. He's not even in the top 5.

Let's put Roy's HW title win in perspective. He beat a weak titleholder in Ruiz. Roy would have been killed if he fought Lewis.

regardless of his bullshit win at HW, i consider Jones wins against Toney and Hopkins better than Leonards against Benitez and Hearns

I have to go with ray, both guys have some interesting issues, ray retired young and never was the same in comebacks, roy didn't have the comp. as much as I hate ray and love roy, I got to go with ray nevertheless. there's a great docu on youtube a bout ray right around the time he was going to retire, just debating it in his own mind. He is still training and goddamn the dude was bad, hands every bit as fast as roys and maybe faster, really good power, brass balls, killer instinct and.., he had superior balance, leverage.

Leonard won belts in like 4 or 5 classes. 2 weight classes in one fight.

there is no way one should compare donny lalonde to johnny ruiz...a drained lalonde at that

ruiz was one of the most underated hws.

arguably drew 36 rounds with evander holyfield

regardless of his bullshit win at HW, i consider Jones wins against Toney and Hopkins better than Leonards against Benitez and Hearns

what is bullshit about beating johhny ruiz?

thats ridiculous

Sugar Ray Leonard and Roy Jones Jr were some of the most naturally talented fighters to ever lace up a pair of gloves. Both were noted for their speed, and both had success at multiple weights. But, who was the better fighter pound for pound?
Sugar ray was better. Even as he slowed down his technique was still there.

Roy was unorthodox and once he wasn’t your physical superior didn’t show the same ability to grind out wins.

At his absolute peak Roy Jones Jr may very well have been the most gifted fighter ever.

there is no way one should compare donny lalonde to johnny ruiz...a drained lalonde at that

ruiz was one of the most underated hws.

arguably drew 36 rounds with evander holyfield
Donny Lalonde is hardly the best name on his resume. He also stepped up to beat Hagler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back