Who was better, Sugar Ray Leonard or Roy Jones Jr?

"Roy Jones Jr is in a different area code to Pacquiao".

Could you be any more of a RJJ nuthugger? Pacquiao is definitely in the same area code to RJJ, and I think Pacquiao is overrated.

Other than Toney, who did RJJ fight at 168 who was of any note?

Could you be any more of a RJJ nuthugger? Pacquiao is definitely in the same area code to RJJ, and I think Pacquiao is overrated.

There wasn't really anyone at 168 of note. He only fought at the weight for a short time.

You don't seem very high on RJJ, which makes me wonder why you even started this thread.

And I know I'll regret it, but I'll ask nonetheless: Why do you think Pacquiao is overrated? And who is overrating him in what way?

You don't seem very high on RJJ, which makes me wonder why you even started this thread.

And I know I'll regret it, but I'll ask nonetheless: Why do you think Pacquiao is overrated? And who is overrating him in what way?

I think RJJ is a great fighter and one of the most talented fighters ever, but other than Toney and Hopkins, his resume's not that great.

You don’t think Ward could have found a way to avoid, frustrate, close the distance, neutralize, grind, beat - just like he did every other time?
not based off of anything I've seen, no. of course he has a chance considering what we learned about jones' chin but he would have had to hit him and roy never got hit.

I think RJJ is a great fighter and one of the most talented fighters ever, but other than Toney and Hopkins, his resume's not that great.
yup, he did it to himself, he could have sought each and every challenge around like delahoya did, even though there wasn't the same talent in his divisions, he could have tried. people don't remember but when roy was young, he was known to be a "reluctant warrior" who didn't really like boxing, didn't like the damage, complained about it, insisted he'd retire at 30. there weren't many fighters to avoid but he avoided them or didn't really pursue matches. He could have had rematches with toney and Hopkins at the time too, that would have been interesting but he wanted to just sit on his victories and beat up guys like antoine byrd and that one guy who was a ny cop and moonlighted as a pro boxer.

Roy was the most physically gifted fighter to ever step in the ring, but as a technical boxer he's no where near one of the greats. That's why once he slowed down physically, he never came close to the same level. Both Ali and Leonard had the boxing savvy to fall back on once their physical gifts began to fade.

I thought roy lived in florida and pac lived in the Philippines

Roy was prime between 160-168, SRL was prime at 147. There is no scenario where SRL would figure out a way to beat RJJ. I can’t think of any fighter that I would favor to beat RJJ at his best between 160-168.

Roy was prime between 160-168, SRL was prime at 147. There is no scenario where SRL would figure out a way to beat RJJ. I can’t think of any fighter that I would favor to beat RJJ at his best between 160-168.
Da sex.

Him or hagler.

But sexy would be sexier.

Why is Chong-Pal Park ranked 1 all time smw by ring in 1994?

Roy was the most physically gifted fighter to ever step in the ring, but as a technical boxer he's no where near one of the greats. That's why once he slowed down physically, he never came close to the same level. Both Ali and Leonard had the boxing savvy to fall back on once their physical gifts began to fade.

This is the typical nonsense.
Roy's technique was ok. What exactly do you mean by technique? Punching technique ? Footwork?

Its just absurd to degrade him to pure physical ability and at the same time talk about fantasy match ups between him and Ezzard Charles, Bob Foster, Andre Ward, etc.

You couldn't have used two worse examples as a contrast. What did Leonard do once he reached his early 30s? Let me give a hint: Floyd Mayweather he was not.
Roy captured the heavyweight title and even into his mid 30s he was competitive with Calzaghe.

Ali, also not a great example to get your point across.

I could go on and on with examples of great boxers who got worse as they got older.

Not sure what your point was anyway. That Roy Jones Jr is not an ATG? That he had a different style than Jack Johnson and Joe Gans?

This is the typical nonsense.
Roy's technique was ok. What exactly do you mean by technique? Punching technique ? Footwork?

Its just absurd to degrade him to pure physical ability and at the same time talk about fantasy match ups between him and Ezzard Charles, Bob Foster, Andre Ward, etc.

You couldn't have used two worse examples as a contrast. What did Leonard do once he reached his early 30s? Let me give a hint: Floyd Mayweather he was not.
Roy captured the heavyweight title and even into his mid 30s he was competitive with Calzaghe.

Ali, also not a great example to get your point across.

I could go on and on with examples of great boxers who got worse as they got older.

Not sure what your point was anyway. That Roy Jones Jr is not an ATG? That he had a different style than Jack Johnson and Joe Gans?
I don’t know how liqored up you are but the only people talking about Charles, foster, gans and Johnson is you.

118-109 with a kd via a foul is not a competitive fight with calzaghe.

Do you have examples of an atg falling off so bad he gets knocked out by a shot to pieces enzo macarenelli type fighter please?

Do you have examples of an atg falling off so bad he gets knocked out by a shot to pieces enzo macarenelli type fighter please?

You constantly try to lure others into some nonsense that is not even being discussed, so you can troll around with your usual unfunny horse crap as you did a few posts earlier...Da Sexy? Really? Who even finds that funny?

The argument was great fighters who aged well due to being technical savvy, using SRL and Ali as examples and putting them in contrast to Roy's allegedly poor technique.

And you come up with a fight of a 46 year old Roy Jones Jr?

You constantly try to lure others into some nonsense that is not even being discussed, so you can troll around with your usual unfunny horse crap as you did a few posts earlier...Da Sexy? Really? Who even finds that funny?

The argument was great fighters who aged well due to being technical savvy, using SRL and Ali as examples and putting them in contrast to Roy's allegedly poor technique.

And you come up with a fight of a 46 year old Roy Jones Jr?
You said he handled calzaghe well. He scored a knockdown on a foul and was shut out. Fuck knows what you were watching. Most atgs also wouldn’t lose three in a row to Antonio tarver and glen johnson. You are the one talking shit and shifting things around and then slinging insults. Roy has been fucking terrible for a long time. His unorthodox technique relied on blistering pace and great timing. Remove his pace and his chin and his flaws shone through. Once he started losing his record is dogshit and it’s because he couldn’t adapt. His hands are still low but instead of moving like a flyweight it looks like he’s trying to move like valuev.

You’re beginning to bore me. You tag saying I don’t do sensible discussion and then dribble off at tangents and don’t like it when people don’t like your opinion. I don’t give a shit if people disagree with me. It’s easier to admit when someone knows more than you do about a subject and listen than deflect and pretend you didn’t hear what you wanted to.

Seeyaround sugar tits.

Last edited:
You said he handled calzaghe well. He scored a knockdown on a foul and was shut out. Fuck knows what you were watching. Most atgs also wouldn’t lose three in a row to Antonio tarver and glen johnson. You are the one talking shit and shifting things around and then slinging insults. Roy has been fucking terrible for a long time. His unorthodox technique relied on blistering pace and great timing. Remove his pace and his chin and his flaws shone through. Once he started losing his record is dogshit and it’s because he couldn’t adapt. His hands are still low but instead of moving like a flyweight it looks like he’s trying to move like valuev.

You’re beginning to bore me. You tag saying I don’t do sensible discussion and then dribble off at tangents and don’t like it when people don’t like your opinion. I don’t give a shit if people disagree with me. It’s easier to admit when someone knows more than you do about a subject and listen than deflect and pretend you didn’t hear what you wanted to.

Seeyaround sugar tits.

Lol

Pretty sure that a high pace and timing were important for Ali and SRL too. Even for Floyd.

Back