Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

SD-E in the AR10.

If you wanted the trigger even lighter you could call Geissele and get the a hi-speed National match 1st stage spring(and follow the bend instructions or maybe see if they could do it) and put it on the SD-E. So it would be 1.5# first stage 1.2# second.
Too light for me I think.

Took the belt-fed out today. Worked good early then started failing to feed. I'd have to work the charging handle and then the round would load. Was working like a bolt-action. Grrrrrrrr. Although it ran the mags like a champ even on binary. I broke it in previously with mags (as recommended) last time at the range. Maybe a batch of the links are tight. Am using the recommended M855 ammo. Tried the various gas settings. Switched up the height of the belt as it fed.

Took the belt-fed out today. Worked good early then started failing to feed. I'd have to work the charging handle and then the round would load. Was working like a bolt-action. Grrrrrrrr. Although it ran the mags like a champ even on binary. I broke it in previously with mags (as recommended) last time at the range. Maybe a batch of the links are tight. Am using the recommended M855 ammo. Tried the various gas settings. Switched up the height of the belt as it fed.
My regular AR did that and my gas block had moved forward toward the muzzle device. It hadn't come completely off but moved just enough it was like partially covering the hole in the barrel.

My regular AR did that and my gas block had moved forward toward the muzzle device. It hadn't come completely off but moved just enough it was like partially covering the hole in the barrel.

Wouldn't that be a failure to eject issue?

It had just enough gas to eject but wasn't cycling the bolt back far enough for it to catch the next round.

Was weird as fuck

Hmmmmmm. There's plenty of gas for the mags. And I've read that links could be problematic. Also, it's a piston.

A buddy, based on his recollection of Recoil Magazine's review of the MCR upper, suggested maybe it just wasn't lubed up enough. I had grease on it. Didn't really drench the thing though. Will try that next time.

OzMstqU.jpg

MBB2p8l.jpg

Artificial lights are making the colors look weird. I'll get some out in the sun tomorrow.

All the sudden I'm interested in these BFS barrels. Might go really well with one of the Brigand Arms handguards. What do you think @RerouteToRemain?

bsf-barrels-223-wylde-carbon-fiber-1-8-twist-bsf223-by-bsf-barrels-d6d.jpg

th

brigand4.jpg

It'd be for the Mean Metal Guns lower (Seekins but branded MMG) with (most likely) the Gibbz left-handed side-charging upper.

All the sudden I'm interested in these BFS barrels. Might go really well with one of the Brigand Arms handguards. What do you think @RerouteToRemain?

bsf-barrels-223-wylde-carbon-fiber-1-8-twist-bsf223-by-bsf-barrels-d6d.jpg

th

brigand4.jpg

It'd be for the Mean Metal Guns lower (Seekins but branded MMG) with (most likely) the Gibbz left-handed side-charging upper.

If you like the look, go for it. The carbon fiber is just a shroud, it isnt really apart of the barrel and it only touches the barrel at the ends of the shroud. They have some colored carbon options as well.

If you like the look, go for it. The carbon fiber is just a shroud, it isnt really apart of the barrel and it only touches the barrel at the ends of the shroud. They have some colored carbon options as well.

Yeah, it's mainly the look. But I'm assuming they're quality barrels regardless.

One problem I have is the finishes on the upper and lower are radically different. I kinda like 'em both though. Guess I'll just have to start brainstorming cerakote ideas.

***Updated 11/28/16***

I like guns. I'm not mechanically inclined. The AR seems like the most versatile tool in the history of self-defense. I decided to build one from scratch. The problem is I'm indecisive and I've got champagne tastes. That means I need to build at least two rifles so that I can better sample the options. My goal isn't to build the most cost-effective rifle. It's to build what I want, taking into consideration aesthetics and practicality more so than price.

I've begun with the lowers. So far here's what I've got for parts. I'll update as I add or switch out. Pictures of the parts and build process to follow.

Even if you don't follow the thread let me know what you think of the builds. Good or bad, I'm curious to know your opinions.

FINISHED

(***Note that I switched out the lower at the end of the build. The lower this one replaced will be used in Build #5.)

LOWER

Stripped Lower: Spike's (No Logo)
Buttstock: ACE Skeleton stock
Sling QD Attachment: ACE UMPB
Trigger: Franklin Armory BFS Binary
Trigger Guard: TacFire
Grip: Ergo Suregrip Ambi
Bolt Catch: Phase 5 Tactical EBRv2
Safety Selector: Franklin Armory (BFS-Compatible)
Mag Catch: Norgon Ambi
Mag Release: Seekins Precision
Buffer Spring: JP Tuned & Polished
Front/Rear Takedown Pins: Strike Industries

UPPER
Stripped Upper: MAS Defense Slickside
Barrel: Voodoo Innovations
5.56x45, 16", Mid-Length, 1:7 Twist, .750 Gas Block, Government Countour, 4150 CM, Melonite
Muzzle Device: Omega Manufacturing Faux-Suppressor
Bolt Carrier Group: AIM Surpluss
Handguard: AR15 Solutions 15" Free Float Tube
Handguard Wrap: 3M Vetrap
Charging Handle: Stag Arms
Gas Block: Omega Manufacturing Micro Screw-On
Optic: Aimpoint H-1 Micro
Optic Mount: LaRue QD Low-Rise
Optic Cover: Tango Down

(**** Pictures show Raptor charging handle instead of the Stag standard GI. Future modifications could include filing down some Battle Arms safety lever to fit the BFS cam, treating the bolt catch logo with Aluminum Black, and similarly covering up the Aimpoint markings.)

IMG_2809_zpslw1xw2pg.jpg

IMG_3260_zpsfy7ysrv9.jpg

IMG_3154_zpsvk3nuhgi.jpg

IMG_1359_zpsr0legkjr.jpg

For those not familiar with the Franklin Armory binary trigger, here's a guy showing what it can do.

FINISHED

LOWER

Stripped Lower: Black Rain Ordnance Fallout 15
Buttstock: Magpul PRS
Recoil Adapter w/Pad: M/P with Pachmayr Large Field Pad
PRS Monopod rail cover modified to accept riser w/monopod
Monopod: Accu-shot 3.75"-4.65"
Mini Riser: Yankee Hill Machine 1"
PRS QD Sling Mount: Parker Mountain Machine
Buffer Tube: Black Rain
Buffer Spring: JP Silent Capture
Trigger: Geissele SSA-E
Trigger Pins: KNS Anti-Rotation Pins
Grip: Ergo Suregrip Lefty
Front Pivot/Rear Takedown: Tactical Supply Biohazard Pins
Bolt Catch/Battery Assist Device: Phase 5 EBRv2
Safety Selector: Battle Arms BAD-ASS (Long Crank / Short Crank)
Magazine Catch: Norgon Ambi
Magazine Release: Seekins Precision
Lower Pin & Spring Kit: CMMG

UPPER
Stripped Upper: Black Rain Ordnance Fallout 15
Barrel: JP 20" .223 Wylde
Charging Handle: Rainier Arms Avalanche
JP Enterprises Thermal Dissipator
Muzzle Brake: VG6 Epsilon
Muzzle Brake Attachment: VG6 CAGE Device
Bolt Carrier: JP Low Mass
JP Bolt Carrier Pin Package
Handguard: JP/V-Tac 12" Free Float
JP Front Sight Rail
JP 2" Rail
JP QD Sling Swivel Mount
Front & Rear iron Sights: Knight's Armament Micro 600 meter
Gas Block: Syrac/Black Rain Adjustable Low Profile
Gas Tube: Spike's Tactical
Forward Assist Assembly: Strike Industries
Ejection Port Cover: Tactical Gear Junkie
Bi-pod: Accu-Shot Atlas with QD Lever
Scope Mount: Bobro QD
Scope: Leupold Mark IV

IMG_8214_zpsavypqln4.jpg

IMG_9242_zpsotdzctwn.jpg

IMG_5261_zpsnzrn4b5s.jpg

IMG_7456_zpsqatnm0s2.jpg

EDIT: This is addictive. Here's some other builds inspired through all the trial and error. #6 is still in progress but the others are done (more or less :D).

FINISHED

LOWER

Stripped Lower: Anderson Manfucaturing
Furniture Kit: MDI / Magpul (Reaper Black Stock, Hanguard, VFG, Trigger Guard, PMag)
Buffer Tube: Omega Manufacturing
Buffer: Omega Manufacturing
End Plate: Tapco
Trigger: Rock River Arms National Match 2-Stage
Grip: Ergo Ambidextrous Reaper Black
Takedown/Pivot Pin Set: Laser's Edge Studio
Safety Lever: Battle Arms Development
Magazine Release Button: Seekins Precision
Bolt Catch / Battery Assist Device: Phase 5 Tactical EBRv2
Lower Spring Kit: Strike Industries
Magazine Catch: Norgon

UPPER
Stripped Upper" Aero Precision
Barrel" Colt .556 x 45, 14.5", w/Front Sight Block and Barrel Nut, Handguard End Cap, YHM Phantom Flash Hider Welded
Bolt Carrier Group: Crosshill Technologies Black Nitride
Delta Ring Assembly: Omega Manufacturing
Gas Tube: Omega Manufacturing
Handguard: Magpul Reaper Black
Charging Handle: Rainier Arms
Ejection Port Cover Assembly: Tactical Gear Junkie
BUIS-Rear: Magpul Reaper Black

IMG_3125_zpshah8kw9i.jpg

IMG_3054_zpsvyapsra8.jpg

IMG_0366_zpsyxsjhs6b.jpg

FINISHED

LOWER
Stripped Lower: Anderson Manfucaturing
Furniture Kit: Magpul MOE
Buffer Tube: Omega Manufacturing
Buffer: Omega Manufacturing
Trigger: Rock River Arms National Match 2-Stage
Trigger Guard: TacFire
End Plate Sling Adaptor: AR-Stoner
Grip: Ergo Suregrip
Takedown/Pivot Pin Set: Squirrel Daddy
Safety Lever: Stag Arms Ambi
Magazine Catch Assembly: AR-Stoner
Bolt Catch: AR-Stoner
Battery Assist Device: Troy
Lower Spring Kit: Strike Industries

UPPER
Upper: Anderson Manufacturing
Charging Handle: Omega Manufacturing
Barrel & Gas Tube: Daniel Defense 5.56x45, 16", 1/7 Twist, Carbine Length Gas, Cold Hammer Forged, Phosphate
Muzzle Device: Miculek Muzzle Brake
Bolt Carrier Group: Crosshill Technologies
Hadguard: Magpul
Handguard-Cap: LBE Unlimited
Delta Ring Assembly: Omega Manufacturing
Vertical Foregrip: Magpul
Gas Block: Omega Manufacturing
Forward Assist Assembly: High Standard
Ejection Port Cover: Sabre Defense
Ejection Port Pin, Spring, Clip: Mammoth
BUIS-Rear: Magpul MBUS
BUIS-Front: Yankee Hill Manufacturing

IMG_5714_zpsbvn3swbr.jpg

IMG_2852_zpssq0fvumy.jpg

IMG_0868_zpsrd69tpfd.jpg

IMG_0293_zpsymfg5rxh.jpg

FINISHED

(***Note that this also takes standard AR magazines. There's a mag-well adapter that holds the belt-fed links. Drop it out and slap a magazine in.)

LOWER
Stripped Lower: Spike's Tactical Multi-Cal Red Spider Logo
Stock: ACE Skeleton Stock Standard
Buffer Spring: Ares Defense
Buffer: Spike's Tactical T2
Trigger: Franklin Armory BFSIII Binary
Trigger Guard: Spike's Tactical
Grip: Ergo Ambi Sure Grip
Front Pivot / Rear Takedown Pins: Battle Arms
Safety Lever: Franklin Armory
Magazine Release Button: Seekins Precision
Bolt Catch: Ares Defense
Magazine Catch: Norgon Ambi
QD Stock Attachment: ACE UMPB

UPPER
Upper Receiver: Ares Defense MCR-037
BUIS-Front/Rear Set: Ares Defense
Barrel Handle: Ares Defense
Vertical Foregrip: G.P.S. Grip-Pod #02
Optic Elcan Specter OS 3.5x

IMG_6539_zps1wwup3v1.jpg

IMG_0510_zpsv8iepqwa.jpg

Here's the company's promo video. Unfortunately this isn't full auto, but the trigger is the new Franklin Armory BFSIII binary. That means that when you flip it to what would be the full auto position It fires a round when you pull it and fires a round when you let go. :eek:

Yes, that's legal. And in case you missed it, the earlier version of this trigger is in build #1. :cool:

IN PROGRESS

LOWER
Stripped Lower: Spike's "The Jack"
Buttstock: Magpul UBR
Trigger: Geissele SSA-E
Trigger Pins: KNS
Grip: Ergo Suregrip Left-Handed
Bolt Catch: Seekins Precision
Safety Selector: Battle Arms BAD-ASS (Long Crank / Short Crank)
Mag Catch: DPMS
Mag Release: Seekins Precision
Rear Takedown Pin: Colt
Front Pivot Pin: High Standard
Sling: Specter Gear Viper Gen 2

UPPER
Stripped Upper: Gibbz Arms Left-Handed Side-Charger (w/o FA and Dust Cover)
Barrel: AR15 Performance 16" 6.8 SPCII 5R Scout Profile, Mid-Length, 1:11.25 Twist
Muzzle Device: JAL Linear Device
Bolt Carrier Group: Crosshill Technologies Slab-Side Black Nitride
Bolt: AR15 Performance 9310 Alloy NiB Coating
Handguard: 15" Intacto Arms Free Float ***To Be Changed
Gas Block: SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7

*The Upper and Handguard will be white Cerakote.

IMG_1260_zpsca0nl4dl.jpg

Damn, they all look good. 1 and 5 are the ones I like the looks of the most. Also like that you're a bit of a minimalist and don't put too much shit on the AR's

I'm getting the Colt LE 6920 soon. I know it's a bit dated at this point but it's going to be my introduction/combat AR. At some point im sure I'll do a build but that's still a ways off. I'm just looking to spend roughly 1000$ bucks for one that's ready to go right out of the box and I like everything I've read about the Colt from that perspective. I may consider the 6720 if I can walk in a store and pull it off the wall (people seem to prefer those over the heavier 6920) -but I haven't found a store near me that has one in stock.

Damn, they all look good. 1 and 5 are the ones I like the looks of the most. Also like that you're a bit of a minimalist and don't put too much shit on the AR's

I'm getting the Colt LE 6920 soon. I know it's a bit dated at this point but it's going to be my introduction/combat AR. At some point im sure I'll do a build but that's still a ways off. I'm just looking to spend roughly 1000$ bucks for one that's ready to go right out of the box and I like everything I've read about the Colt from that perspective. I may consider the 6720 if I can walk in a store and pull it off the wall (people seem to prefer those over the heavier 6920) -but I haven't found a store near me that has one in stock.
Most places can order shit and my understanding is Colt ARs are all built very similar.

Yeah, it's mainly the look. But I'm assuming they're quality barrels regardless.

One problem I have is the finishes on the upper and lower are radically different. I kinda like 'em both though. Guess I'll just have to start brainstorming cerakote ideas.

Dvor has an 18" proof research 5.56 barrel for $525

Thanks. You have good taste. :)

Get the 6920. Due to history, it's kinda the standard. It's a great gun for the $800 (with Magpul furniture). https://gunprime.com/product/colt-6920-slim-16-556-30rd-black-le6920mps-b/

Regular furniture for $729. https://gunprime.com/product/colt-m4-carbine-5-56-16-black-30rd-le6920-ar-15/

No furniture for $675. https://georgiagunstore.com/colt-le6920-oem1-5-56-16-1-a2-blk.html

Is the performance gonna be that much improved? Don't the actual carbon fiber barrels wear-out much more quickly?

Holy crap . . . why spend that much on a 5.56 barrel?

I about had a cow when I bought a Ballistic Advantage barrel for my 6.5 Creedmoor build . . . and at full retail it's barely over $300.

Is the performance gonna be that much improved? Don't the actual carbon fiber barrels wear-out much more quickly?

Idk, the bsf is lighter. I tried to find the contour of the actual barrel(without the cf shroud). I'd imagine it is lightweight-pencil. Traditionally the thinner the barrels don't last as long. The proof is a medium contour. Just wanted to give you the option as it is like $300 off.

At PROOF Research we’re proving carbon fiber-wrapped rifle barrels aren’t just a lightweight alternative to traditional steel rifle barrels, but that they provide superior performance, including extreme accuracy, unprecedented durability and increased barrel life. By combining our unique manufacturing process with advanced technology composite materials and thermo-mechanical design principles, we’ve accomplished what others have failed to do in the past—match-grade carbon fiber rifle barrels that weigh a fraction of traditional steel rifle barrels while compromising nothing. They’re not just lighter—they’re better.

I'm not sure if someone has put the barrel life claim to the test. But barrel life to a match shooter vs average person is very different. Match shooter anything above .5 moa the barrel is "worn out" and will go to a practice gun or sold to someone that doesn't need sub .5 moa.

So unless you plan on only shooting tight groups I don't see why this wouldn't last at 1 moa ish over 10-15k+ rounds if you take care of it and I imagine it would last longer than the bsf.

Holy crap . . . why spend that much on a 5.56 barrel?

I about had a cow when I bought a Ballistic Advantage barrel for my 6.5 Creedmoor build . . . and at full retail it's barely over $300.

The bsf barrel he is looking at is like $40 cheaper.

My .223 wylde proof barrel was $800.

The quality, performance, weight and look. I think they look badass and I'm willing to pay for that.

Back