Crossbows for a beginner

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok so i am a beginner in the archery and hunting thing, i am also trying to become a pro fighter, but i also want to try hunting, so what are some good crossbows for beginners? I'm looking to go hunting some point in 2018.

All crossbows are for beginners.

Toxic masculinity.

Get a compound. Crossbows are for battling the English in the 17th century

Get a compound. Crossbows are for battling the English in the 17th century

If only i had the money to buy a compound bow, but i also want to use something easier, wait for a crossbow, i've seen in the tv shows that you pull the crossbow strings back with your fingers, but when i look up youtube videos you pull it back with a cockrope or whatever, can you pull it back with just your fingers?

If only i had the money to buy a compound bow, but i also want to use something easier, wait for a crossbow, i've seen in the tv shows that you pull the crossbow strings back with your fingers, but when i look up youtube videos you pull it back with a cockrope or whatever, can you pull it back with just your fingers?
Depends on the weight. If you plan on using it to hunt large game it' probably gonna be difficult to pull back without at least standing on it. Im not that familiar with crossbows

Ok so i am a beginner in the archery and hunting thing, i am also trying to become a pro fighter, but i also want to try hunting, so what are some good crossbows for beginners? I'm looking to go hunting some point in 2018.
{<huh}
You know you can't bring a crossbow in the cage, right?

Crossbows are fun for about 5 min, they're too easy. I'd either get a gun for the range making the shooting more interesting or, the real answer, I'd get a bow and begin archery. Doesn't have to be compound, the second hand market is great.

For efficiency in hunting tho, gun, hands-down.

Yep, a kid got shot in the leg so theg banned them, they restricted compound bows a couple of years ago aswell.
meanwhile...

Untitled-2.jpg

Does it bother anyone else that Daryl on Walking Dead caries a crossbow? First he ain't no bitch and most definitely wouldn't use one as a good old boy hunter type, and second, it would be a pain in the ass to lug compared to a compound bow, and third it's a far inferior weapon to a bow as reloading is relatively slow and zombies are oh so plentiful.

Also, it's disgusting that he shoots game with the same nasty bolts he takes down zeds with.

A fire proof one because I assume you're using flaming arrows.

Crossbows are fun for about 5 min, they're too easy. I'd either get a gun for the range making the shooting more interesting or, the real answer, I'd get a bow and begin archery. Doesn't have to be compound, the second hand market is great.

For efficiency in hunting tho, gun, hands-down.

Can't get a gun now, got to wait till i move out.

Get your drunk buddy who is just as green as you shoot an apple off your head, then and only then will we know that you are worthy of our advise.

Ok well i think i'm going to get a bow instead of a crossbow now. Crossbows do seem a little cool though.

They're cool but after you shoot it there's no learning curve. It's just point and click.

If you just want to kill some shit with least possible effort it's a good option.

A bow will be a good deal more difficult, you need to learn how to fire, taking a course would be very sensible. It will be a ongoing rewarding hobby rather than a thing that is cool for a bit because it shoots something.

Both have merit, depends how much you want to put into it. If you get a bow don't over do the draw weight on it. There are recurve that you can swap out the limbs to increase it. 25lbs or so is ample to begin with if you're male and reasonably healthy. The length of arrow is down to your length of arms etc, an archery shop would do all this for you.

For your op tho it was already answered, all crossbows are for beginners, it's why they were introduced in warfare; because the require no training.

Advantages
  • Walking speed is not affected while the crossbow is readied.[1]
  • Crossbows fire projectiles at a higher velocity than most bows, making them better for hitting moving targets.[2]
  • Ammunition varieties also include exploding bolts in each of the 3 elements (fire, ice, and lightning).
  • Crossbows are more powerful than most bows, with the regular crossbow having the same base damage as a Daedric Bow.
  • Crossbows have a higher base value than most bows, with the standard crossbow having a base value of 120 gold, and with the standard Enhanced version beginning at 200 gold.
  • Crossbows can help the Dragonborn raise their Archery level much faster than most bows.
  • Zooming in and slowing down time can be done with crossbows by pressing the corresponding button, provided the relevant perks are selected.
  • Crossbows have a built-in 50% chance to stagger opponents. If combined with the Power Shot perk, it will stagger 75% of the time.
  • The Enhanced variety ignores 50% of enemy armor.
  • Holding down the attack button and waiting for the weapon to be fully drawn is not required, as the bolt is already loaded in.
  • Bashing with a crossbow will cause a greater stagger chance than standard bows, and there is even a chance that bashing can cause physical damage to enemies.
  • Crossbows can be given to followers, and there is a chance that the follower will prefer to use them instead of their standard bows.
  • All crossbow varieties can be forged, where only some standard bows can be forged, and others cannot. Furthermore, all crossbows benefit from smithing perks, where only some standard bows benefit from them, meaning those that don't cannot be upgraded past "Flawless" without a potion or apparel item that improves smithing.
  • Enhanced crossbows can still be enchanted. If combined with the Extra Effect perk you can have up to three effects at once.
  • By the time a Kill Camera is finished the crossbow will have already reloaded itself.
Disadvantages
  • Crossbows are loud, and can alert enemies at close range, making close-up assassinations difficult if surrounded.
  • Crossbows reload slower than most bows (even though game-data, speed of 1, suggests crossbows are faster, the reload speed uses different formulae).
  • Crossbows are much heavier than most bows, with the standard crossbow occupying 14 carry weight units, and the standard Enhanced version weighing 15. The Dwemer variations are significantly heavier, weighing at 20 and 21, respectively.
  • The Dragonborn is vulnerable to melee attack for a few seconds during reload, since it cannot be cancelled and it's impossible to run. (This can be countered by unequipping the bolts before or during the reload animation)
  • Crossbows have a shorter default arc range than a standard bow (can be fixed by simply aiming higher).
  • There are only four types of crossbows to choose from; the Crossbow, the Enhanced Crossbow, the Dwarven Crossbow, and the Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow.
  • Bolts can only be purchased from Fort Dawnguard or picked up from dead Dawnguard members (or, in the case of Dwarven bolts, collected from a dead Dwarven Sphere or purchased or forged during or after the Ancient Technology quest), whereas arrows are available in shops everywhere.
    • Forging bolts are also available only if the Dragonborn is a member of the Dawnguard.
  • Bolts are crafted in groups of 10 while crafting arrows produces 24 at a time.
  • Crossbows can only be forged at Fort Dawnguard, where standard bows can be crafted at any blacksmith forge, with the relevant perks.
  • Fired bolts are less likely to be retrievable than arrows, even with the Hunter's Discipline perk.
  • Bolts are much smaller than arrows, meaning that ones that miss the target may either be difficult to find, or completely disappear as a whole and turn invisible.
  • Unenchanted Bolts deal less damage than higher tier arrows (Dwarven Bolts deal 14, Steel Bolts 10, vs 24 and 25 damage for Daedric and Dragonbone Arrows respectively) offsetting the damage bonus of the crossbows themselves. This can be negated by using exploding bolts, but those are harder to acquire and craft than regular bolts, and don't benefit from sneak attack multipliers, meaning that higher-quality bows and arrows will far outperform any crossbows for sneak attacks except in the case of highly armored enemies where the enhanced crossbow's armor bypass may tip the scale.
  • If the Dragonborn joins the Volkihar Clan, they will get basic ammunition much more rarely, only being able to collect them from fallen Dawnguard members, or even rarer, when fired at.

Back