Got my blue belt!

Congratulations on the blue belt

You had to learn so much compare to other belts.

I also like to be a guard player.

I get lot more enjoyment out of working new guard and sweep more than submissions somehow.

And for the guard haters...lol

And I doubt id get any where close to beating you. I'm ok defensively but I rarely submit other blue belts. But thanks!
Im the same way. Lol i always tell myself things would be different if i could punch this guy

Feeling good! Got it after a year and 4 months or so which I thought was fast but I've consistently trained 4-6 days a week minimum.

I still struggle with the much younger and/or bigger white belts but that's normal I think and i don't get submitted by them either.

It's been a lot of fun so far. Made a lot of friends and going to class is my favorite part of the day. At almost 36 I'm in good shape at 170 pounds but cardio is definately an issue. Some guys at my gym openly admit they are on TRT (Including a 46 year old former marine who is sculpted like a Greek statue, no kidding), but I'm hesitant to even go down that route

Right now I'm trying to focus more on being more calm and relaxed and regulate breathing whole rolling. I do great until SUDDENLY my cardio gives out and my muscles basically die out and stop working. It's a big issue for me.

I really like pulling guard and sweeping, I'm already known in my gym for using butterfly guard and hooks more than anyone.

Generally speaking though , all other blue belts beat me. Never mind higher belts. Sometimes it bugs me but other times i remind myself I'm older and smaller than 90% of them.

It's only been a little under a year and a half so long way to go. Just wanted to share my progress so far and my thoughts to those starting out. Thanks for everyone on here who encouraged me to join and train and helped offer advice and guidance

Congrats, for cardio, three things.

1. Learn to be more conservative with your energy. Pay attention to how hard you are squeezing or gripping your opponent. Lower belts will use 80-90% of their energy when often, only 20-30% is required. The key is when doing what is required, be cognizant of of your opponent and always be prepared to increase your effort relative to your opponents effort.

Learn when to rest and learn to rest muscle groups that are not required for the particular technique. Often I see lower belts are incredibly tense and squeezing or stiffening muscles that literally have no purpose.
e.g. squeezing their legs together really tightly the entire time I’m in their guard, when their feet locking together would suffice.

2 . Work on flexibility. A lack of flexibility is muscle tension at the end of any particular mechanical movement with your body. You can often feel it start to shake or tighten.
The muscles tighten to protect you from what it perceives as an over extension. This muscle tension requires energy. So even if you aren’t purposely exerting energy, not being flexible is causing you to exert extra energy while you operate in zones near the end of your range of motion. This is especially true for squating, kneeling and sitting on ankles, standing up from knees, etc.

3. Do circuit training. No rest between rounds. A few muscle groups are always working, and a few are always resting, and these groups alternate. You heart and cardiovascular systems are constantly working the entire workout yet your muscles get some recoperation time. This is similar to a live rolling.

I usually do 6 rounds of 12 stations. With a 3-5 min stationary bike as my “rest” between rounds. I do this twice a week. (You might want to build up to that. Maybe 4 rounds of 12 stations at first.)

Anyway, that is just some things that has helped me. Congrats again and good luck.

Last edited:
“Normal” is very subjective and varies significantly based on opinion. What is your total testosterone?

I don't remember exactly but it was like 3 points over the minimum level for my age but the doctor wouldn't even consider TRT and said it's against the law even if I'm 1 point above minimum

Congrats, for cardio, three things.

1. Learn to be more conservative with your energy. Pay attention to how hard you are squeezing or gripping your opponent. Lower belts will use 80-90% of their energy when often, only 20-30% is required. The key is when doing what is required, be cognizant of of your opponent and always be prepared to increase your effort relative to your opponent.

Learn when to rest and learn to rest muscle groups that are not required for the particular technique. Often I see lower belts are incredibly tense and squeezing or stiffening muscles that literally have no purpose.
e.g. squeezing their legs together really tightly the entire time I’m in their guard, when their feet locking together would suffice.

2 . Work on flexibility. A lack of flexibility is muscle tension at the end of any particular mechanical movement with your body. You can often feel it start to shake or tighten.
The muscles tighten to protect you from what it perceives as an over extension. This muscle tension requires energy. So even if you aren’t purposely exerting energy, not being flexible is causing you to exert extra energy while you operate in zones near the end of your range of motion. This is especially true for squating, kneeling and sitting on ankles, standing up from knees, etc.

3. Do circuit training. No rest between rounds. A few muscle groups are always working, and a few are always resting, and these groups alternate. You heart and cardiovascular systems are constantly working the entire workout yet your muscles get some recoperation time. This is similar to a live rolling.

I usually do 6 rounds of 12 stations. With a 3-5 min stationary bike as my “rest” between rounds. I do this twice a week. (You might want to build up to that. Maybe 4 rounds of 12 stations at first.)

Anyway, that is just some things that has helped me. Congrats again and good luck.

Thanks so much for taking the time and helping me out. This is beyond helpful. I've always been incredibly inflexible. I honestly just this i have shorter tendons or something. I can't even come close to touching my toes. I've been that way my entire life.

I don't remember exactly but it was like 3 points over the minimum level for my age but the doctor wouldn't even consider TRT and said it's against the law even if I'm 1 point above minimum

Are you outside of the US?

Thanks so much for taking the time and helping me out. This is beyond helpful. I've always been incredibly inflexible. I honestly just this i have shorter tendons or something. I can't even come close to touching my toes. I've been that way my entire life.

Start seriously making an effort to get more flexible. It has to be something you consistently do daily. You have to relaxing into the stretches, letting each deep breath relax you deeper and deeper until you are extended as far as you can and then find a way to relax and rest in that position for a 15-30 count.

Deep resting squats, lunges, splits, toe touches especially.

No I'm in California

Weird. Docs have a lot of latitude in prescribing TRT. It is definitely not “against the law” to prescribe you TRT based on a certain level of test. If you have low T symptoms, then I’d suggest searching for a new doctor.

Weird. Docs have a lot of latitude in prescribing TRT. It is definitely not “against the law” to prescribe you TRT based on a certain level of test. If you have low T symptoms, then I’d suggest searching for a new doctor.

You can pm me if you prefer , but what negative side effects have you noticed ?

Congrats! i got mine toward the end of last year (it took me 3.5 years though... injuries :/), was a very good feeling. enjoy it :)

Good on you mate.

As for being beaten by the other blues, youre forgetting they watched you slowly develop. As you fumbled then gradually found your way they were defending your style and were ahead anyway. On top of this if you pull guard youre always giving away advantage as weight, leverage a gravity keep you on the back foot. A far better indicator of how you're progressing would be how you do in competion.

As for trt, personally I think theres nothing wrong with you therefore what you mean is roids. I've reasearched it a bit over the years and for me the risks and negative effects far outweigh the good and if its not broke dont fix it.
Most who do it are cheats and mentally weak, they want the advantage over others(sport setting). Our minds are what powers and defines us. They take something that enables them to do/acheive something they couldnt do/achieve without it and then tell the world it is their achievement.

If you find your way and keep going your skill/ability level will maintain itself far better than the guy running a foot race on a push bike. My 2 cents anyway.

36 y.o. is old??? LOL.

Lol for what ??? For the Testosterone problem or for being a lower belt at that age.

I'm proud to be the ''Touch of grey'' guy that is stronger, with more cardio, more focus, that learns faster and that rolls more in a week than most 20-25 years old in the class.

Age is just a number if you stay in shape.

Good on you mate.

As for trt, personally I think there's nothing wrong with you therefore what you mean is roids... Most who do it are cheats and mentally weak...

And your medical qualifications are?

I understand where you are coming from, but if he has a legitimate medical condition determined by a Dr, then what business is it for anyone other than the TS and his Dr?

As for trt, personally I think theres nothing wrong with you therefore what you mean is roids.

Most who do it are cheats and mentally weak.

You are offering a baseless opinion, as you have not seen TS’s blood work, nor have you inquired as to his symptoms.

As far as your next statement, that is just plain and simply an ignorant thing to say.

And your medical qualifications are?

I understand where you are coming from, but if he has a legitimate medical condition determined by a Dr, then what business is it for anyone other than the TS and his Dr?

By his own words is doctor told him he wasn't anything wrong with him....

Has he also dedicated time for strength training?
Whats his diet like?
How his his competion performance like?

Lately sherdog has gone trt mad like its a harmless recreactional practice. I gave my opinion, take it how ever you want.

Back