DNA Tests to find out about ancestry:

I'm still waiting for my results from MyHeritage. I started doing my family tree and had a couple of hits from another tree from relatives I haven't seen in many years. This appeared to be a way to get you to join their premium subscriptions that only allow you pay annually. This allows you to contact people, see other trees and do searches.

You are probably 15% Neanderthal

Nope, that is on a separate report. Neanderthal ancestry accounts for less than 4% of my DNA. This is less than 81% of their customers apparently.

I'm Irish and English American but I tan and have a nice size wiener.

People here try to say I'm racist but I can't be cause my wife isnt white, she's mixed.

Alright, I got my results from 23andMe...

View attachment 280219

Everything is pretty much as expected, but I'm kind of annoyed that the Unassigned portion is so big. 15%? WTF dudes?!

Improve your algorithms!

Guys, it seems the folk at 23andMe heard my complaint. They've improved their algorithm and updated my results:

23andMe Results.jpg

Everything is even more in line with what I expected... except the Yakut.

How on Earth did that guy get in there? Did the guy went from the farthest reaches of Siberia all the way to Sicily? Or did he cross the Pacific and came to the Viceroyalty of Peru?

Hopefully the next improvement will clear away that 5.8% that's still unassigned.

The commercials for these products make them look especially pathetic. People who pretend they're German find out they're something else, and start pretending they're Scottish.

The commercials for these products make them look especially pathetic. People who pretend they're German find out they're something else, and start pretending they're Scottish.

Fortunately on my father's side the family immigrated recently enough (they came to Peru from Sicily when he was 3 years old) that there hasn't been any time for the game of telephone to play itself out on the family history.

I was just curious to see how much of Sicily's "colorful" history would be reflected on my genome and sure enough, there's the Middle Eastern / North African bit popping up unannounced.

Fortunately on my father's side the family immigrated recently enough (they came to Peru from Sicily when he was 3 years old) that there hasn't been any time for the game of telephone to play itself out on the family history.

I was just curious to see how much of Sicily's "colorful" history would be reflected on my genome and sure enough, there's the Middle Eastern / North African bit popping up unannounced.
My family is Irish, for sure, on my mother's side, we have property in county Westmeathe.
But I'm sure if they ran my geneticals, they'd find a pretty pile of stuff.

Has anyone done this or know about it?

I have recently been looking into it for my wife, she was curious about her heritage.

The first one i heard of was 23 and me. It was $99 for just ancestry and $199 to also find out about genetic health, all the way to find out if there is baldness in your family.

I then started doing other researches and came across, ancestry dna, ancestry.com, myheritage, kincore.

any recommendations or just tips that you know or heard of

I am as white and pure as an Arctic snow. I don't need some test tube baby to tell me what I already know.

Wouldn't trust collecting my dna in general, but given the recent issues with twins and triplets all having different results makes me extremely skeptical of the tests in general. A lot of my family tree is also easily traceable to very genetically homogeneous areas as well with written history on them. I basically don't know a lot about only two branches (one a small one) and only a great great grandfather on my mother's side was in the U.S. before the 1900's (his parents arrived in the mid 1800's).

Im tempted to do one. My parents claim to be german and scottish. Ive got black hair, blue eyes and olive type skin. Theres gotta be something in there along the way

Im tempted to do one. My parents claim to be german and scottish. Ive got black hair, blue eyes and olive type skin. Theres gotta be something in there along the way

Look at black Scots or black Irish peoples. they get mistaken for Spaniards all the time despite being genetically more Gaelic than most other Irish and Scots people. Could just be that.

Wouldn't trust collecting my dna in general, but given the recent issues with twins and triplets all having different results makes me extremely skeptical of the tests in general. A lot of my family tree is also easily traceable to very genetically homogeneous areas as well with written history on them. I basically don't know a lot about only two branches (one a small one) and only a great great grandfather on my mother's side was in the U.S. before the 1900's (his parents arrived in the mid 1800's).

Fraternal twins shouldn't have the same results, since they don't have the same DNA. It's not tracing your ancestry or your heritage, just your DNA. I don't know all of the details of what exactly they're looking at, but your DNA is not an accurate picture of your ancestry. Half of your DNA comes from each parent (well, slighly more than half comes from your Mother), but it's not so evenly divided between your grandparents, and since it's inherited in the form of chromosomes (save a bit of crossing over), it's not only possible, but inevitable that you have heritage that's basically absent from your DNA. Humans have 46 chromosomes, but you have 64 great great great great grandparents, meaning back six generations a minimum of 18 ancestors are largely absent from your DNA.

If it says you have DNA that at some point in history would have been traced back a certain region at a certain period in history, fair enough. But the percentages are basically meaningless. A lot of your DNA is not going to be ascribable to some particular ethnicity, and the breakdown of what remains is a subset of your heritage based on a bunch of coinflips. It would be much more honest to just provide a list of heritages that are confirmed, but forgo the misleading percentages and the be clear that just because they can't find evidence of something, doesn't mean you don't have that heritage.

Last edited:
Back