Rizin bombs on NYE on Fuji TV

Andrew784

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND-PRIX 2017』で、(18:30~)4.8%、(19:30~)6.4%、(21:30~)6.2%、(22:50~23:45)4.3%

Very underwhelming early numbers...

Could somebody approximate those numbers to which fights were airing?

Unfortunately I don't think Horiguchi will ever be the draw he should be and he ended up headlining both events.

They also badly need to get something for Tenshin, at least someone with name value. Didn't help that Gabi messed things up a bit but even that wouldn't have boosted ratings much most likely.

I think they are still heading in a positive direction with building up all the young talent but they need some short term draws to bring in the viewers. Throw the money at Asashoryu or Harumafuji, make some kind of sumo rule set if you have to.

Unfortunately I don't think Horiguchi will ever be the draw he should be and he ended up headlining both events.

They also badly need to get something for Tenshin, at least someone with name value. Didn't help that Gabi messed things up a bit but even that wouldn't have boosted ratings much most likely.

I think they are still heading in a positive direction with building up all the young talent but they need some short term draws to bring in the viewers. Throw the money at Asashoryu or Harumafuji, make some kind of sumo rule set if you have to.
Asashoryu would MASSIVELY help their ratings. Not surprised with the ratings they got. In fact I thought they’d be worse.

I heard someone say that Gabi vs that granny was the most anticipated bout by far

It's not surprising. The Japanese like pro wrestling style spectacles. Which include freak show fights and big dudes. Not a card littered with 105lb women and 125lb men.

Asashoryu would MASSIVELY help their ratings. Not surprised with the ratings they got. In fact I thought they’d be worse.
He also had a thing on NYE, not sure if it went directly head to head with RIZIN though. Don't make the same mistake as Sengoku, they have to actually get him into the ring

I heard someone say that Gabi vs that granny was the most anticipated bout by far
Kandori was one of the biggest names on the card as far as casual viewers go

The good news is that they didn’t have to pay a lot for a bunch of deep’rs and pancreas’rs ex ufcers and random gaijins

Weren't they aiming for like 20%??
More like around 12 percent. Japan is weird because I heard shinju was like the spike of the show again. Horiguchi isn't a big draw in home country is what these early numbers indicate.

For the Japanese to watch - You have to have King Kong vs Godzilla and / or a Sakuraba fighting foreigners . Horiguchi has to be put up against scary / "undefeatable" foreigners . Gabi vs Bob Sapp .

I fell asleep somewhere along the broadcast 8[.

It's not surprising. The Japanese like pro wrestling style spectacles. Which include freak show fights and big dudes. Not a card littered with 105lb women and 125lb men.

These guys have a point. The NYE cards, in the past, have been mostly spectacle fights, with a few legit things thrown in. This year's big card was almost all legit fights. They blew what spectacle fights they had available on the 29th. KING Reina vs Cindy Dandois should have been on NYE. The KING vs the Queen of Hearts. Obviously, Kandori vs Gabi was lost. CroCop vs TK was receiving hate on social media. Everyone knew it was bullshit.

I'm as big of a hater of the freakshows as anyone, but the 29th need to be fll of legit fights, while the 31st show needed the freak fights with the legit stuff periodically mixed in. Japan is just fucking weird like that.

The good news is that they didn’t have to pay a lot for a bunch of deep’rs and pancreas’rs ex ufcers and random gaijins

As if Dep and Pancrase fighters would require a ton of money, coming from those cheap promotions.

On the oter hand, I didn't look for the 29th, but did they have any of the promotional banners of the Rizin Fighting Federation (aka, everyone that Rizin usually begs/borrows fighters from) up around the entry stage? I didn't se them.

On the oter hand, I didn't look for the 29th, but did they have any of the promotional banners of the Rizin Fighting Federation (aka, everyone that Rizin usually begs/borrows fighters from) up around the entry stage? I didn't se them.
Rizin got rid of all the banners when they brought in the LED screens which was April I guess.

Big time JMMA (anything that can draw over 5k) will soon be dead. Also only a matter of time until whoever owns Sherdog shuts down the servers like they did with the radio/podcast network. The only mma that will be left is UFC and Conor McGregor tweets.

Rizin got rid of all the banners when they brought in the LED screens which was April I guess.

Big time JMMA (anything that can over 5k) will soon be dead. Also only a matter of time until whoever owns Sherdog shuts down the servers like they did with the radio/podcast network. The only mma that will be left is UFC and Conor McGregor tweets.
Second part is obviously an overreaction, but thanks for clarifying things in the first part.

Should compare to the other TV shows. NHK has a very popular music show. Think there was boxing on another channel which would directly compete with Rizen type viewers. What else could Fuji broadcast for better ratings?

Should compare to the other TV shows. NHK has a very popular music show. Think there was boxing on another channel which would directly compete with Rizen type viewers. What else could Fuji broadcast for better ratings?
Ice skating?

Last edited:
Back